Long crank time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Long crank time

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
sprtplt
2007 JK Wrangler 

Long crank time

2007, new, has the "long time to start" problem. You turn the key to start and it just keeps cranking. does this only occasionally. I believe there is a TSB on this "08-023-07 OCT 07 Engine Controls - Long Crank Time to Start" from Alldata. But Alldata doesn't sell the complete text for the 2007 Jeep yet so you can only see the title. Idiot dealer, of course, said unable to duplicate. told him about the TSB and he just kept saying the same thing. Someone on here had this and had some sensor (crank position maybe?) replaced. Does anyone have the specific info on this? thanks

sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
TampaJK2008
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, this was me. Same thing happened to my 08 from the day I got it. I mentioned it to the dealer, they said they could not replicate. After some time of searching I found the TSB for the 07 model. I printed the TSB, walked into my dealer and said fix it please. The dealer then went online, and found the TSB for the 08 as well. BE AWARE the first thing they will try to do is a "computer chip update" that they will tell you "should fix the problem"...WRONG! The cam- shaft sensor has to be replaced. I had this done about a month ago, and it has not happened since.

Hope I was able to help.
TampaJK2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

here's the full tsb: http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_08-023-07.pdf

When I took mine in, I printed that out and took it with me because I knew I would get the "unable to replicate" response- of course you can't replicate it, it does it at random! The dealer I took it to did the TSB and I have not had a problem since (that was back in December)

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
V-Powered
2007 JK Wrangler 

N2Rock...thanks for the excellent link.
Unread 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mine does this about 1 in 20 starts. Thanks for the TSB.
Unread 04-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
sprtplt
2007 JK Wrangler 

yes!

many thanks!
sprtplt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

I know it's been a while since this thread has been visited but I just bought a 2014 Wrangler and it does the exact same thing. It has 700 miles on it and has done it about 5-6 times. Go to start and sometimes it takes twice as long to crank. Any ideas or anybody else with newer jeeps with this issue?
goochieman83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
gjeffers72
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2007 and its been doing it from beginning. I have 110000 on it and its just fine, just a glitch.
gjeffers72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow old thread but glad I saw it. Mine does this on occasion. Now I know why!
Unread 04-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

That's crazy. Well glad to know how to fix it. It hardly ever does it but it freaked me out the first time, especially since this is the first new vehicle I've ever owned. What's bad is my CJ starts better than that, thanks "Team-Rush".
goochieman83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.