Long Arm Kit or Driveshafts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Long Arm Kit or Driveshafts?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Long Arm Kit or Driveshafts?

I have a 2008 4 door. It is currently lifted with a 4in Skyjacker lift with hydro shocks and coil springs. I also have JKS front and rear adjustable track bars, sway bar disconnects, and end links. I am running 35" KM2s on the D30 front and D44 rear. I use the jeep right now as a DD and will continue to do so for 2 or 3 more years. With that said, I still would like to get a little more flex and offroad capabilities with it.

So now heres the real question... Do I go with the Teraflex Long arm kit for $2,000 ir do I get the Tom Woods front and rear driveshafts for about $1,100? I plan to get both eventually but which will help more first? Which is more necessary but will keep the DD stable? I do plan to do an axle swap, regear, and add lockers down the road when it is no longer a DD but right now this is what my options are. Please give me your input! I am only 19 and still learning!!!!! Heres some pics of the Jeep as it stands today.

slawkin93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get a better kit than skycrapper.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I would suggest you think about upgrading your driveshafts before dumping money into your lift. You can have the best lift in the world but if your driveline is breaking then your suspension is useless. If you are not going to be changing out the Dana 30 anytime soon, reinforcing that and driveshafts would make more sense to me.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferninaz
I would suggest you think about upgrading your driveshafts before dumping money into your lift. You can have the best lift in the world but if your driveline is breaking then your suspension is useless. If you are not going to be changing out the Dana 30 anytime soon, reinforcing that and driveshafts would make more sense to me.
Thanks for the thoughts I am not gonna be swapping the axles for a few years so I will most likely do the driveshafts
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie
Get a better kit than skycrapper.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
Very helpful thank you
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawkin93 View Post
Which is more necessary but will keep the DD stable?
Just based off of this question alone the obvious answer is drive shafts. Where are you getting that price though for Tom Woods? I think I paid $450 shipped for my rear "Coast" drive shaft and I could have sworn Tom Woods was right in the same price point.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal

Just based off of this question alone the obvious answer is drive shafts. Where are you getting that price though for Tom Woods? I think I paid $450 shipped for my rear "Coast" drive shaft and I could have sworn Tom Woods was right in the same price point.
I have talked with Tom and he quoted me about 500 per shaft for CV type shafts and clear coated to keep them lookin nice. With shipping and tax it comes out to just below 1100 for both. I am thinking their probably gonna be my next purchase
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Neither thing you mention is going to give you more articulation on your rig. No reason to replace your driveshafts unless they are spitting grease. Adams seems to be the cost leader in driveshafts today at around $700 for both front and rear. Tom Woods make a fine shaft though and you wont go wrong with them.

Your rig reminds me of another in the chicago area. Black with the red even had skyjacker on it.
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
BigSteve

Do the driveshafts. Without a doubt your stock ones will end up crapping out at the worst possible time. You should definitely look at the Adams Driveshaft shafts. I have them, they are awesome and they are priced really reasonably.
BigSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #10
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post

Your rig reminds me of another in the chicago area. Black with the red even had skyjacker on it.
Probably Ludskis?

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman
Neither thing you mention is going to give you more articulation on your rig. No reason to replace your driveshafts unless they are spitting grease. Adams seems to be the cost leader in driveshafts today at around $700 for both front and rear. Tom Woods make a fine shaft though and you wont go wrong with them.

Thanks for the info... Is there anything else you'd reccomend worrying about before the shafts? Anything I don't have that I need? I'm only 19 and still trying to learn all of this stuff! Appreciate it guys!

Youll see mine in the west suburbs and downtown mostly. Also spend a lot of time up in the Kenosha area
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve
Do the driveshafts. Without a doubt your stock ones will end up crapping out at the worst possible time. You should definitely look at the Adams Driveshaft shafts. I have them, they are awesome and they are priced really reasonably.
What's the difference between the Adams and woods that changes the price so much? How's the install?
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
brian243
2011 JK Wrangler 

Have you looked at tatton driveshafts I will be installing one on the front of mine this weekend. I will let you know how I like it after a few trips. I paid 375 shipped
brian243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #14
slawkin93
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian243
Have you looked at tatton driveshafts I will be installing one on the front of mine this weekend. I will let you know how I like it after a few trips. I paid 375 shipped
Please do I plan to order them at the end of this month so keep me posted!
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #15
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Fix your profile, you have the 3.8 engine not the 3.6. Add what transmission you have. I doubt you are running 3.91 gears in the rear. Should be same as the front and 3.73. If you want your jeep to drive better and perform better off road they I would look at gears and lockers. Get some 5.13 gears in there if you have the automatic. 4.88 if it is a 6 speed. Will dive like a new jeep after the gear swap. Depending on your steering feel you might want to get some adjustable control arms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.