Locking Gas cap problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Locking Gas cap problems

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Podedwards
2007 JK Wrangler 

Locking Gas cap problems

Locking gas caps are a problem causing the check engine light to come on because of air not venting properly (too much coming in through the key slot I think). Also the plastic retainer has no place to fit on the locking model. I have ordered the following locking door that allows the original cap to stay on. Will let you know how it works.

Rampage Products Billet Aluminum Locking Fuel Door Black Powder Coat - with Lock & Keys Jeep Wrangler 1996 to 2007 Rampage Products Billet Aluminum Locking Fuel Door Black Powder Coat - with Lock & Keys Jeep Wrangler 1996 to 2007
Item ID: B000FVDJ5M

Podedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
DLeeWebb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podedwards
Locking gas caps are a problem causing the check engine light to come on because of air not venting properly (too much coming in through the key slot I think). Also the plastic retainer has no place to fit on the locking model. I have ordered the following locking door that allows the original cap to stay on. Will let you know how it works.

Rampage Products Billet Aluminum Locking Fuel Door Black Powder Coat - with Lock & Keys Jeep Wrangler 1996 to 2007 Rampage Products Billet Aluminum Locking Fuel Door Black Powder Coat - with Lock & Keys Jeep Wrangler 1996 to 2007
Item ID: B000FVDJ5M
sounds interesting...do you have a link...?
DLeeWebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
woody-77
Vulcan FTW

2007 FSJ Cherokee 

I don't have any problem with mine after 9000 miles....are you turning it so it clicks 3 or 4 times?

Sounds like you have a faulty gas cap.

Quote:
Thread deleted by Jerry Bransford
Reason: This was beyond human decency... posting about someone's girlfriend is ****ed up.
woody-77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
The Gas Man
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I took my locker off because of the same thing. no problems since.
The Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hrmm. . . 8 months / 17,000 miles and no problems with our factory locking cap here.
Hip2u77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #6
hdkiwi
2007 JK Wrangler 

12,000 mi No problemo
hdkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
Wamp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my locking gas cap. I removed it and no more engine light. I would be interested in how the Rampage works too.
Wamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
Podedwards
2007 JK Wrangler 

Link

http://www.realtruck.com/productline...uel_doors.html
Unread 06-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
Podedwards
2007 JK Wrangler 

Not sure if I like it

Well, I have not installed it yet. To make it fit without the lock tongue hitting the existing plastic surround,the surround has to be taken off (or so it appears) and there is no washer to fit behind the new door assembly to keep it water tight. The locking mechanism could easily be pried open with a tire tool-it is not strong at all.

So, before I start taking the current surround off and start drilling holes in the fender,I am going to decide which one would I'd rather have a thief destroy and then I have to replace, the $15 locking gas cap (if it causes no problems) or the $100 poorly made billet aluminum deal.
Unread 06-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
dsr

5500 miles with a mopar locking gas cap and no problems. Sounds like they might have had a problem with a batch of them. Might be worth another try.
dsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.