Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Locking Gas Cap, Locking Gas Cover, Non-locking..etc..

3K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  MrOrange 
#1 ·
Quick question for everyone..

Which did you get?

A cover with a locking gas cap?
A locking cover with regular gas cap?

Also, in terms of the stainless or coated in black stainless covers, do the black chip away?

The point of this post is to figure out what is the best option. I want to get it in black so it's just a matter of getting either the locking gas cover or the locking gas cap with a non-locking cover. I just don't know real life experience where one is better over the other.

What do you guys think?

#6 ·
Non locking,black. MOPAR. No chips or ware.
Newer vehicles have a check valve so that gas will not spill out in the event of a roll over. That valve wont allow a hose to travel into the tank, no need for locking cap. Now days the theifs drill a hole in the bottom of the tank and place a bucket under it. Bastards, now your out the gas and a tank.

#12 ·
I got the black locking cover...q-tech i think...whatever you decide, don't get the billet aluminum. A friend of mine got that cause she was trimming in SS, and as soon as she took a trip to the beach, the saltwater messed it all up. She managed to buff most of the corrosion out of it, but it still looked like crap. My black one has neither chipped nor has spilled gas had an effect on it. I like the locking cover just as a "keep everyone honest" measure and it does complete the look of the Jeep IMHO.

#16 ·
:cool: I got mine from JC Whitney-lockable

"Rampage"-polished Aluminum

:tea::thumbsup: JIMBO
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I like your rims :2thumbsup:

Also, more details/pics on the trailer?

#25 ·
Chrome Mopar cover and locking cap under. It was about $100 for the pair at the dealer on the day of purchase.

#29 ·
This is actually the best suggestion if you think about it. You can pry a gas cover but a gas cap is a bit more "work" so to speak. I guess both is doable but at least it gives you that better percentage of something opening your non-locking gas cover and seeing a gas lock and be like, forget it!

Versus seeing a gas cover with a lock and be like, ok all I need is a crowbar to pry it open and I'm in.

#32 ·
Actually it depends on which cover you get. Looking in eBay and looking at online stores that sell them.

There are so many different variations.

1. There are lock and no-lock versions.
2. They are aluminum based versus steel.
3. Plastic or Metal (aluminum or steel).

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but the plastic one is Mopar OEM cover. That is the one where you have to remove the tail light and do this and that to it. The downpoint from what I have been reading about the Mopar OEM cover is that there is play (rotation wise) to the cover. It doesn't move while driving but it can rotate. Not a big deal I guess but that one doesn't require any drilling.

On the other hand, the metal base ones (steel or aluminum) uses self-tapping screws. Instead of going through the tail light and what not, you literally place the metal cover on top of plastic casing and tap the screw in (drill). I'm going to assume that the self tapping screws isn't long enough to go through the plastic casing. You don't have to pre-drill anything.

Pro's and con's?

Well for one thing I have never seen it in person other than pictures but the Mopar OEM one looks or matches nicely because it accents all the plastic parts of the Jeep. The metal one match also but it doesn't go aethestically with the jeep. Honestly, this is putting too much thought into it because if you were not a jeep owner, you would not even be able to tell.

Con wise, the metal ones, if you are going with the black coated, painted, whatever, some have stated that it chips away at the paint through constant use. I have heard some issues here and there and some who don't have issues.

All this I have stated is why I posted this topic. So many variations of this and I want to make sure I get the right one that doesn't chip or rust or whatever. Plastic seems to be the right answer but then you have the rotation play issue.

Steel versus aluminum? Some say Steel rust faster, some say aluminum and I think the ones that doesn't chip are the ones that are not painted but color powder coated.

Right now, my decisions is to go with the non-locking one and hoping someone here posts a link of specifically which one has stood the test of time without any issue.

Hope this helps. I'm still holding off on ordering anything, till I find out exactly.

#33 ·
Just a quick update.

I have decided to purchase the Rugged Ridge Steel black billeted locking gas cover. The price was a bit cheaper than what was out there through eBay. Ironically, most of the gas cover (lock or non-lock) is a rugged ridge although many times it's not stated on their description.

Why this one? We'll, once I knew it was rugged ridge, one of the selling points is how the Rugged ridge one is pre-treated or has some resistance coating from corrosion, rust, gas spillage, etc.

Why the lock gas cover versus the non-locking one? Location location location. I really don't have problems with my area that had issues with gas tampering. (Knock on wood).

On the other hand, I didn't want to put too much thought into this matter any longer. If they see a lock on the outside, I figured I have increased my chance to deter the would be gas thief to look elsewhere. If I had lock gas cap and unlocked gas cover, well...this would entice them to come close to my vehicle and not until then would they realize it's lock but the fact that they approached my vehicle, who knows?

I know...too much thinking involved in it but whatever...

So yes, locking gas cover from Rugged Ridge.

Oh another thing, yes there are "keyed" version gas caps out there from Mopar that can use your existing ignition key. However, I don't want to turn off my vehicle to give my key to unlock it. I only have two keys and one is with my wife. Besides, have you seen the price on the locking gas cap just to be able to use your ignition key. Ridiculous!

#34 ·
Yeah, the Mopar single key locking gas cap for JKs appears to be $85 which is absurd. It reminds of a classic Simpsons quote:

Salesman: Surely you can't put a price on your family's lives?
Homer: I wouldn't have thought so either, but here we are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.