Locking Diff/Traction Control ????s - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Locking Diff/Traction Control ????s

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
I am interested to know what the benefits of a locking differential are. My new '14 JKU is a 6 speed with the 3.73 rear end. No suspension or tire upgrades yet, but definitely in the works. I plan on wheeling in North Florida and Southern Georgia. Not the rockiest terrain, a lot of sand, mud, and swamp.

1) Are lockers necessary for both front and rear?

2) Are lockers more necessary for rock crawling?

3) Is engaging my stock Command-Trac 4WD system in muddy/sandy/wet terrain going to help at all without a locking diff setup?

4) How does traction control play into all of this? I have read that pushing it once does so-and-so and if you hold it down for however many seconds it turns more of the control systems off. I think the article referenced a '10, is it the same for a '14?

Keep in mind this is my DD and even once I do upgrade things I want it to keep a lot of daily drivability comfort/control. I'm sure once it's paid off I will go a little more aggressive with things. Thanks in advance.
1. No....but two selectable lockers are better than one.
2. Necessary? Well....they will make it much, much, much easier.
3. 4WD is better than 2WD
4 In 4 Hi, turn it off and have fun.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #17
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Your stock JKU without lockers will amaze you. When I had mine, some people thought I had lockers. The longer wheelbase along with the traction control made it a formidable machine. That being said, you can always go into more challenging terrain where a locker will help. And when you get even more confident, you may find the place where even a locker won't work.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #18
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yesterday was spent researching this topic. I appreciate all the info and feedback from other's experience. After all, I haven't gotten stuck yet. More necessary things will come before lockers (like rails of some kind so my little ones aren't struggling to climb in) lol.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #19
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I went to the link you posted. It's fine except it has the same common misconception about open differentials.
The author says an open differential directs all the torque to the spinning wheel. This is not true. Open differentials always split the torque equally.
If one wheel spins, and it takes only 20 ft/lbs to make it spin, the other wheel also gets the same 20 ft/lbs. It just may not be enough to move the vehicle.

That's why applying the brake to the spinning wheel works. Apply the brake so it takes 200 ft/lbs to make it spin, now the other wheel gets the same 200 ft/lbs, which may be enough to move the vehicle.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
GeorgiaCrawlers
2004 TJ Wrangler 

have you tried applying the brake when you're offroad or off camber to gain traction? its is not the most obvious thing to do..
The rubicon has a LSD built in to the locker diff. but it really works well when you lose traction.. I had traklock in my sahara when the tj's came out and it never worked like the rubi's lsd did.
point being..
Open diff: you get your axles twsted and you ll get the driver side wheel spinning and the passanger rear spinning for dear life..
rear lsd: you might get traction.. you might not.. tapping the brake isnt the most easiest thing to do especially when you have a stick..
front/rear lsd: you can get away without any lockers
front locker open rear: you can get good hill climbs but technical stuff might suffer
Front open rear locker: you have a pusher that will usually help you out more then you know Some people run just the rear locked in 2wd and go everywhere a open/open can go.
Front Locked/Rear locked: you go places you never knew your jeep could go.

lol hope that helps?
www.georgiacrawlers.com
GeorgiaCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
Turbineguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis
Keep in mind this is my DD and even once I do upgrade things I want it to keep a lot of daily drivability comfort/control. I'm sure once it's paid off I will go a little more aggressive with things. Thanks in advance.
New jeepers are so cute. I said that last year. My new axles are on order.

I managed quite well with the same set up as the op, but you always want more.
Unread 09-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
panthermark
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaCrawlers View Post
have you tried applying the brake when you're offroad or off camber to gain traction? its is not the most obvious thing to do..
The rubicon has a LSD built in to the locker diff. but it really works well when you lose traction.. I had traklock in my sahara when the tj's came out and it never worked like the rubi's lsd did.
point being..
Open diff: you get your axles twsted and you ll get the driver side wheel spinning and the passanger rear spinning for dear life..
rear lsd: you might get traction.. you might not.. tapping the brake isnt the most easiest thing to do especially when you have a stick..
front/rear lsd: you can get away without any lockers
front locker open rear: you can get good hill climbs but technical stuff might suffer
Front open rear locker: you have a pusher that will usually help you out more then you know Some people run just the rear locked in 2wd and go everywhere a open/open can go.
Front Locked/Rear locked: you go places you never knew your jeep could go.

lol hope that helps?
The LSD built into the lockers stopped with the TJ Rubi's.....JK Rubi's don't have that feature.

I see why I'm a loner....and I love it!
panthermark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
wingit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
Great info guys. Thought of another question. What is a limited slip diff do and how does it function mechanically different than lockers?
Limited slip will spin so fast then the other tire will start to spin

Like everything take baby steps. Especially if it's a daily driver. IMO get some body protection and a winch and wheel it stock. Once you put a lift and tires on it will get easier. When you get locker....easier. Of course as it get's easier you will find something harder.

I started uploading video's to youtube. search wingit929. anything a month or more is bone stock sport. Less than that is tires, 2 in lift, winch. No lockers yet.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #24
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

I went wheeling a bit yesterday. I had a blast. The stock set up handled everything I could throw at it. It wasn't wet or muddy, though. Very soft and sandy conditions. Never even had the slightest feeling I was in something I couldn't get through.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
tslewisz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaxe View Post
I have wheeled, adventured and daily driven my open open 07 for 70k miles, just ordered a rear automatic locker yesterday It is tuly amazing where you can go with a little lift and good tires. BLD is amazing. I do spin tire and have broken one ujoint. With the locker I figure to can get in even more trouble. I do have winch, but straps get used waaay more, although it does get used. Enjoy

Oh google: Dynatrac Lockers 101, best write up out there.
Hey, gsaxe, you PM'd me and your inbox is full.

And back On Topic... I wheeled my Sport a couple of years with open BLD'd diffs (along w/ 5.13 gears and 35's). I now have TrueTracs front and rear and it's a much more capable machine. I have a buddy with a similar JK and no TrueTracs and he says it's really evident that my Jeep is working better just by watching.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #26
gsaxe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey, gsaxe, you PM'd me and your inbox is full.
doh, space cleared

"Seems like alot and I can't say for a fact that it was all needed but that's what happens from reading forums." Jimk403
gsaxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #27
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I've searched low and high and can't find any documentation proving that a '14 JK has BLD. I just bought a '14 JKU as a daily driver for my wife. We'll wheel it lightly, but it's going to remain stock for quite some time. I'd really like to know if it's got BLD. Can anyone confirm this? The Jeep site used to say (at least through '13 models) under the capability that all JKs had the BLD. I believe it only references the JKR/JKUR now.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #28
fastfreddie

My 2014 Sport S has it...wish it didn't.
Nothing like getting brake-induced wheel hop. C'mon, I mean, really?!? Yeah, cuz I just love a feature that tears up my equipment and I can't do a thing about it.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #29
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
My 2014 Sport S has it...wish it didn't.
Nothing like getting brake-induced wheel hop. C'mon, I mean, really?!? Yeah, cuz I just love a feature that tears up my equipment and I can't do a thing about it.
I"m pretty sure it's disabled when you fully disable the ASM and TCS. I know there are write ups on how to do that. What exactly are you doing to get the wheel hop? In off road situations, you'd probably get the same hopping effect with a locker. That sounds more like an issue with the tires both spinning but not getting enough traction on whatever surface you're on.

I'm somewhat glad to know it's got it though. Can anyone provide any links that prove it though? Like I said, I searched everywhere and can't find anything. I'm considering going to a dealer to talk with them about it; we all know salespeople are the smartest, most knowledgeable about what they sell...
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #30
fastfreddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I"m pretty sure it's disabled when you fully disable the ASM and TCS.
ASM? Please cite the write-ups. I'd love to turn off as many of the acronyms as possible.
Quote:
What exactly are you doing to get the wheel hop?
Six inches of snow on flat grass, 4Lo, give it more gas than it needs to move, you know, just trying to have fun...but no, the fun police are hard-wired.
Quote:
In off road situations, you'd probably get the same hopping effect with a locker. That sounds more like an issue with the tires both spinning but not getting enough traction on whatever surface you're on.
As far as I'm concerned, if I'm in 4x whatever and I give it gas, wheels should spin if they lose traction, not brake lock. It should be up to me to determine how to apply throttle, not up to the computers to dictate any vehicle response to negate my intentions. How does it know what I need to be doing? It doesn't. It only reacts to a program written by a desk jockey. That desk jockey prolly never found himself going downhill backwards, and, locked out of the brake system completely as the stupid program tries to figure out what it should do.
It should do nothing! Give me back control of my vehicle!!!
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.