JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Locking Diff/Traction Control ????s (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/locking-diff-traction-control-s-1577489/)

Mfrancis 09-11-2013 09:39 PM

Locking Diff/Traction Control ????s

I am interested to know what the benefits of a locking differential are. My new '14 JKU is a 6 speed with the 3.73 rear end. No suspension or tire upgrades yet, but definitely in the works. I plan on wheeling in North Florida and Southern Georgia. Not the rockiest terrain, a lot of sand, mud, and swamp.

1) Are lockers necessary for both front and rear?

2) Are lockers more necessary for rock crawling?

3) Is engaging my stock Command-Trac 4WD system in muddy/sandy/wet terrain going to help at all without a locking diff setup?

4) How does traction control play into all of this? I have read that pushing it once does so-and-so and if you hold it down for however many seconds it turns more of the control systems off. I think the article referenced a '10, is it the same for a '14?

Keep in mind this is my DD and even once I do upgrade things I want it to keep a lot of daily drivability comfort/control. I'm sure once it's paid off I will go a little more aggressive with things. Thanks in advance.

HappyTrails 09-11-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mfrancis (Post 15926449)
I am interested to know what the benefits of a locking differential are. My new '14 JKU is a 6 speed with the 3.73 rear end. No suspension or tire upgrades yet, but definitely in the works. I plan on wheeling in North Florida and Southern Georgia. Not the rockiest terrain, a lot of sand, mud, and swamp.

1) Are lockers necessary for both front and rear?-In slick/low traction terrain (i.e. Mud, Sand, Swamp, Wet Rocks), they make the going a lot easier. Anything slick will make one wheel on each axle spin, and the other wheel stand still. Effectively cutting down your 4x4 to a 4x2...and then you're stuck.

2) Are lockers more necessary for rock crawling?-Rocks usually give good traction, however, you will often find yourself with a tire in the air, and this is where a locker comes in handy.

3) Is engaging my stock Command-Trac 4WD system in muddy/sandy/wet terrain going to help at all without a locking diff setup?-Sorry, I'm not familiar with this. I drive a Rubi (lockers come standard).

4) How does traction control play into all of this? I have read that pushing it once does so-and-so and if you hold it down for however many seconds it turns more of the control systems off. I think the article referenced a '10, is it the same for a '14?-Not sure.

Keep in mind this is my DD and even once I do upgrade things I want it to keep a lot of daily drivability comfort/control. I'm sure once it's paid off I will go a little more aggressive with things. Thanks in advance.

Hands down, if you plan to do any moderate/serious off-roading, lockers are a must.
I usually rock climb in North Georgia/Alabama, and the lockers can make the difference between being stuck or walking across the rocks.
However, lockers have to be used with careful finesse. TOO MUCH TRACTION can snap an axle or twist a driveshaft...look through my pics on my profile. D'oh!
Watch this video and others like it on YouTube to explain lockers:

Mfrancis 09-11-2013 10:12 PM

^Great info! This forum has been great so far. Keep it coming folks, I am a sponge for soaking this stuff up.

Filthy-Beast 09-11-2013 10:42 PM

command trac is the non rubi transfer case, it's just not geared as low as the rubi. the traction control you have is Brake Lock differentials. basically the computer will apply brakes to the spinning tire to try do the same thing as in the video when they where using the hand brake.

But I suggest wheeling with open diffs first and then get lockers later, you'll become a much better driver learning how your jeep behaves with open diffs. I only use lockers about 10% of the time i'm wheeling. but no doubt when I need them they are great. I'd also suggest selectable lockers.

HappyTrails 09-11-2013 11:47 PM

Like Filthy-Beast said, wheel with open-diffs initially and you'll be better in the long-run.
I use my lockers only when I realize I'm not going to get any further. The rest of the time, I run with them unlocked. But when I use them, I'm glad I have them.
With the front lockers engaged, you'd better plan on going straight ahead because turns just became 10x harder AND wider (as shown in the video about tire chirping).

bogleparsons 09-12-2013 05:39 AM

I haven't had my 13' in any mud yet to see if the brake lock diff helps any, but I can tell you in my YJ the front locker made me 100% more capable in mud/sand.

Mfrancis 09-12-2013 05:57 AM

Great info guys. Thought of another question. What is a limited slip diff do and how does it function mechanically different than lockers?

xzy 09-12-2013 06:52 AM

Someone is bound to say this. These things have been discussed many times before. If you use the search function you can get/cross reference much more information. Use the word 'lockers ' then search 'traction control' and also 'BLD' and 'limited slip' and even ' truetrac'

You will have a much more comprehensive overview of these systems afterwards.

AlbertaJeeper 09-12-2013 06:59 AM

Another good place to check is the videos on Jeep's website! They really like to brag about all the different systems and toys these come with

JIMBOX 09-12-2013 08:11 AM

:cool: Heh Heh, just getta Rubicon-

Then you've got the best of both worlds and can learn from start to finish, without having to do modifications-

If it's gonna be your Daily Driver, with the Rubi you won't have any down time/expenses, while you're learning the trade !

DEAL-DEAL-DEAL-DEAL-

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

Mfrancis 09-12-2013 09:08 AM

^Kinda why I went the way I did. I like wrenching and I like learning things along the way. Plus the wallet wouldn't let me get a Rubi. Good advice for someone who can afford one, though.

gsaxe 09-12-2013 09:38 AM

I have wheeled, adventured and daily driven my open open 07 for 70k miles, just ordered a rear automatic locker yesterday:cheers::nuts::pickle: It is tuly amazing where you can go with a little lift and good tires. BLD is amazing. I do spin tire and have broken one ujoint. With the locker I figure to can get in even more trouble. I do have winch, but straps get used waaay more, although it does get used. Enjoy:thumbsup:

Oh google: Dynatrac Lockers 101, best write up out there.

Mfrancis 09-12-2013 11:28 AM

So a search of limited slip only yielded results of people saying they have them or have problems with them. My question is how are they mechanically different?

Filthy-Beast 09-12-2013 11:55 AM

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limit...ferentials.htm

RockyClymer 09-12-2013 12:06 PM

1) Are lockers necessary for both front and rear? No

2) Are lockers more necessary for rock crawling? No, but they help a lot for serious rock crawling

3) Is engaging my stock Command-Trac 4WD system in muddy/sandy/wet terrain going to help at all without a locking diff setup? 4wd will always help more than 2wd

4) How does traction control play into all of this? I have read that pushing it once does so-and-so and if you hold it down for however many seconds it turns more of the control systems off. I think the article referenced a '10, is it the same for a '14?
Traction control is basically an anti skid control system, so IMO it will do nothing for you under the above conditions, but, search and study BLD system, it works great, almost as good as a limited slip, because that is what it amounts to.

I rode my 08 for one year open diff with only BLD to find out what it would/would not do prior to starting serious mods...I would suggest the same.

The time now is 04:10 PM.