Locker Question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Locker Question...

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
Will09JK

Locker Question...

So as I'm a noob at this and not all that smart here's my question... I have an '09 JKU with a dana 30 up front and dana 44 in the rear and I'm looking to install an aussie locker but I was told by a friend that if I wasn't ordering both lockers at the same time that I was going to have to get the rear one first?...

Will09JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

You can put an Aussie in the front and not have one in the back. If I had to choose I personally would want a back locker before a front though.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

^^^^^^ This!
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'd lock the rear first if you are only doing one at a time.

Special consideration for the Aussie - which I use on the front - you have to ensure that your tire pressures are the SAME and the tires on the same axle assembly are within 3/8" diameter or you'll activate the locker while you are DD. The front tracks a bit offroad, which is manageable - but you can't switch it off like a selectable. Other than that, it is a great locker option in my experience, especially for the price. You're essentially only buying the center section and replacing the spider gears of your open diff carrier.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Will09JK

Thanks for all the info, I contacted Aussie also said they would have the Locker ready for the JK D44 ready soon.
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll go against the grain here and say I'd prefer a locked front, if only one locker. I've ran both setups before. With an aussie in front, your Jeep will drive like it is 100% stock on-road, while in 2wd. When in 4WD, the front will climb up over obstacles with greater ease, as a rear-only locked vehicle will want to "push" the front tires into an obstacle, as opposed to the front tires climbing. If mud, sand or snow is your thing, being able to saw the steering wheel and have both steering tires spinning and grabbing really helps.

But locking just the rear is still a vast improvement over stock.

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just remember with an Aussie, your fully locked at all times, it can get very tricky to drive on pavement....especially if it's in the front. If you not going to do a selectable locker look into a Detroit Truetrac, not a true locker but the reviews are awesome.
chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris79 View Post
Just remember with an Aussie, your fully locked at all times, it can get very tricky to drive on pavement....especially if it's in the front.
You don't need 4wd on dry pavement, and shouldn't use it on dry pavement....much less a locker.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
chris79
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
You don't need 4wd on dry pavement, and shouldn't use it on dry pavement....much less a locker.
Wow, thanks for clarifying. To be perfectly clear for those who may be a little slow, IF you live somewhere that it snows I'd assume you'd be using your 4wd on the road, and in that case an Aussie would be tough to drive with.
chris79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow, thanks for clarifying. To be perfectly clear for those who may be a little slow, IF you live somewhere that it snows I'd assume you'd be using your 4wd on the road, and in that case an Aussie would be tough to drive with.
I didn't think you wanted to use lockers in the snow either... On road snow I know from experience, is dangerous to drive on locked... Now pulling in the snow with lockers is one thing... But driving locked, things get pretty exciting...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:34 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I drove my YJ with an Aussie up front, on snow covered roads, it's a bit different than standard 4wd for sure. The locker wants to go straight, so turns/curves were interesting. I tended to lift off the gas when turning and things were pretty good. I much prefer the selectable locker I have in my TJ, but the Aussie was awesome off road in the YJ, huge improvement.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just remember with an Aussie, your fully locked at all times, it can get very tricky to drive on pavement....especially if it's in the front. If you not going to do a selectable locker look into a Detroit Truetrac, not a true locker but the reviews are awesome.
That is actually not true. The auto lockers, such as the Aussie, Lock-Right, Grizzly, and Detroit are only "locked" when receiving power from the engine. In a front application, during 2WD operation, the front axle is just freewheeling, so the locker will not engage. Some light ratcheting noises can be heard around slow, sharp turns in parking lots, etc., but that is the only way you can tell there is a locker in there. Once in 4wd, the locker will be alive.

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.

MCE, LLC

Patented Off-Road Plastic "FLEXIBLE FENDER" - made in the USA - A Modern Twist on a Classic Icon

www.flexiblefenders.com

***LIKE us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bothel...547844?ref=sgm***
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #13
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

Will, I'm in the learning stage of all this, also. However, when I ordered my Jeep I ordered the factory rear "posi-Trac". ( what ever Jeep is calling it now) The posi- Trac, 3.73s, and 285/70/17 Duratracs were unstoppable this winter.

I don't know anything, but if I were to choose a locker for the front today, I'd do an Eaton Performance ELocker. I want to know exactly when the front is locked.

Question: if you had a Detroit Truetrac and had one wheel off the ground, would the "Brake Lock" on the newer Jeeps kick in and help to get the grounded tire some power?

Is a True Trac difficult to install? I went to a local transmission shop to ask about having it installed in my 11 ram 4X4, and he was clueless. My dealership is really good. Do you think they'd do a good job? My Jeep has me spoiled. I'll never have an open rear again.

How reliable and trouble free are the ELocker? I have trust issues with anything electric.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:18 AM   #14
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAC_Jeeper View Post
That is actually not true. The auto lockers, such as the Aussie, Lock-Right, Grizzly, and Detroit are only "locked" when receiving power from the engine. In a front application, during 2WD operation, the front axle is just freewheeling, so the locker will not engage. Some light ratcheting noises can be heard around slow, sharp turns in parking lots, etc., but that is the only way you can tell there is a locker in there. Once in 4wd, the locker will be alive.
Correct, when the differential receives input from the driveshaft (ie. in 4wd on the front axle), the locker will mechanically "detect" slippage from one axle shaft and mesh the locker teeth/halves together. Instant lockup without any input. In 2wd, you hear a clicking when you turn the wheel as the locker springs let the Aussie teeth ratchet past each other. I used my Aussie in heavy snow on the road yesterday, and I'll be using her again today! I've pretty-much got the wife convinced to get rid of the car and buy another Wrangler for times like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
I don't know anything, but if I were to choose a locker for the front today, I'd do an Eaton Performance ELocker. I want to know exactly when the front is locked.

Question: if you had a Detroit Truetrac and had one wheel off the ground, would the "Brake Lock" on the newer Jeeps kick in and help to get the grounded tire some power?

Is a True Trac difficult to install? I went to a local transmission shop to ask about having it installed in my 11 ram 4X4, and he was clueless. My dealership is really good. Do you think they'd do a good job? My Jeep has me spoiled. I'll never have an open rear again.

How reliable and trouble free are the ELocker? I have trust issues with anything electric.
If one tire was off the ground, the brakes would have to overcome both tires from spinning if they were getting power. This is also why auto-lockers are dangerous to work on if one tire is left on the ground in the shop - they can inadvertently hop off of jack-stands.

I wouldn't say the Truetrac is difficult to install - much as any locker. Oh, and in my mind Eaton has historically had a bad reputation with their ELocker... whether that is fixed now I don't know.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #15
Will09JK

The Jeep community is far smarter than I. Where the hell do yous guys learn all this. LMAO...FYI I'm driving an '09 JKU on 315/70/17r and 3.5" rough country lift, don't hate me I know rough country is the devil on here but I'm married and live in brooklyn NY and it was all I afford after rent LOL so... The front locker is okay to install alone then as long as I don't drive locked on pavement and turn at all? Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.