Lock it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lock it?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Lock it?

In light of recent events and all the reading I've done on line about warranties and my spider gears going to crap I've come up with 3 options and need some input.

Background behind all this is last week I put new diff covers on, found chunks of spider gear in the bottom of the diff housing on my front D30. I initially thought, just bring it to the dealership and see if they'll replace them on warranty. BUT I have been wanting to get a front locker for a while now, so this kind of seems like a good time to just go ahead and do it myself. I also looked at the Project-JK article about their headache with, unfortunately, the same dealership I bought my JK from. This particular dealership put in the Chrysler system that their modded JK was no longer covered by warranty because they lifted it. So between the lift, the bangs, the scrapes all that good stuff on mine, I DO NOT want to bring it in to them to screw me over at every dealership.

Down to 3 basic options here, and I'm pretty sure I know which one I want to do but I do like a little insight from y'all as well.

Option 1) Try taking it to a different dealership and hope their service center isn't as garbage as what I've read about my dealerships and try getting replacement spider gears from them for the $50 deductible + whatever hidden fees they have.

Option 2) Ebay, $100 and put in gears myself.

Option 3) Scrap the open diff idea and replace all that nonsense with a locker.

Unread 12-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
zpayne08
2013 JK Wrangler 

Tag. Is it hard to replace the gears in a diff?
zpayne08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hard is relative, if you have all the tools to make the proper adjustments and have knowledge of how it all goes together than it easy. If you have a screwdriver and a tape measure in your toolbox than you will never be able to complete the regear. I would suggest putting in the locker if you are already going to have it apart, stay away from the dealership if you have concerns, your concerns are probably founded if your vehicle looks like it goes offroad.
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpayne08
Spyder gears are easy to replace. Ring and pinion are not.
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpayne08 View Post
It's not really that "hard" it's just REALLY precise work, can be time consuming and you do need a few specialty tools to do it. It's one of those things like if you mess up even a little bit you can have some real big problems.
Unread 12-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Ditto to spider gears and a lunchbox locker being pretty easy. The ring and pinion take special tools and experience.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
DuckRunner09
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wife and I settled on locking.... cheaply... Anyone dealt with Lokka before? They look easy enough to install myself with no extra tools I don't have in the garage already and $235, can't really beat that.
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckRunner09
Wife and I settled on locking.... cheaply... Anyone dealt with Lokka before? They look easy enough to install myself with no extra tools I don't have in the garage already and $235, can't really beat that.
No experience with that but I have an Aussie and enjoy it. It is loud, though, on road.
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

If you have chunks of spider gear, chances are you have additional damage and wear that would warrant a rebuild, i.e., ring and pinion along with bears, seals, and crush sleeve which is really best left to a shop that specializes in this type of work. While the shop has it torn apart, a Yukon zip locker would be a nice addition since it is very similar to an ARB, costs less than ARB, and has an excellent warranty that covers collateral damage.

I know it's not the cheapest solution, but it is not the most expensive either. Being able to lock and unlock an axle on demand is big advantage that gives you control over what is happening while being very quiet and street friendly. I think the Yukon zip lockers come with the install kit, which makes adding them even cheaper when rebuilding the differential. Again, not the cheapest solution but an attractive option.

I am getting Yukon zip lockers put in both my axles along with 4.88 gears in a couple of weeks. I had one in the rear of my 2007 and was very happy with it, hence getting them for both axles in my 2014.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.