A little disappointed in the manual tranny...do I just need to drive it hardr - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > A little disappointed in the manual tranny...do I just need to drive it hardr

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 12-23-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
xfactor

A little disappointed in the manual tranny...do I just need to drive it hardr

I have wanted a Wrangler for 8 years but continued to wait as I have young kids. My time has finally arrived with the new 4 doors. In the past i have always known I wanted the manual tranny. I loved test driving the manual tranny TJ's as they really were so sporty.

Today I went to potentially purchase a 6 speed Sahara. After test driving it back to back with an automatic I am honestly leaning toward ordering an automatic instead. The manual tranny was completely fine...it just didnt seem to have that same sport feel and "thrust" I remember from past jeep test drives. Is that an accurate impression given the extra weight and different engine or do I just need to drive it differently? The automatic honestly just felt a little more peppy to me and if I am not going to feel the "plant in your seat" thrust from the manual tranny it loses most of its appeal. Dont get me wrong, I still love the extra control you get with a stick...but it just isnt the slam dunk without the sporty feel.

One other question. If I do order is the limited slip option any advantage if you are doing only mild offroading or pretty unneccessary?

Thanks in advance!

xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
CombatChuk

Sounds like the one you test drove might have had the 3.21 rear end. Try to drive one with the 4.10 it'll feel better.
CombatChuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
jimhut2000

I observed just the opposite when test driving one with a manual trans.. I thought the Auto was very sluggish, where as the manual was very peppy.

Besides, since my wife feels uncomfortable driving a manual; well that will leave me with the Jeep to drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor
I have wanted a Wrangler for 8 years but continued to wait as I have young kids. My time has finally arrived with the new 4 doors. In the past i have always known I wanted the manual tranny. I loved test driving the manual tranny TJ's as they really were so sporty.

Today I went to potentially purchase a 6 speed Sahara. After test driving it back to back with an automatic I am honestly leaning toward ordering an automatic instead. The manual tranny was completely fine...it just didnt seem to have that same sport feel and "thrust" I remember from past jeep test drives. Is that an accurate impression given the extra weight and different engine or do I just need to drive it differently? The automatic honestly just felt a little more peppy to me and if I am not going to feel the "plant in your seat" thrust from the manual tranny it loses most of its appeal. Dont get me wrong, I still love the extra control you get with a stick...but it just isnt the slam dunk without the sporty feel.

One other question. If I do order is the limited slip option any advantage if you are doing only mild offroading or pretty unneccessary?

Thanks in advance!
Unread 12-23-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It takes a while for the new drive-by-wire to learn your driving style. Owners have been noticing improvements in power and drivability after a few hundred miles.

On my 05 the computer was in learn mode for like the first 50 startup/warm/cold cycles.

The way I see it, any jeep should have some form of limited slip in the rear end.
Combined with the traction control feature,you will have a rig that will not let you down the one time you need it.
Get it.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

I drove both the auto and manual with the rear axle 4.10

I noticed the manual had more to it than the auto, I believe like the post above, you may have drove one with the 3.21 gear in the manual.

I posted in another thread that with my 4.10 axle and the 6 speed the JK starts off on level ground with no throttle at all. This made it easy for me to teach my 15 year old how to drive a stick.
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
xfactor

Thanks for the replies! I did drive the 4.10...but maybe I just soft-footed it a little too much. I was with the salesperson so I was taking it pretty easy and its been a few years since I owned a stick so I was more concerned about not killing the thing.

I have owned small sedans with a stick and wouldnt have it any other way as I loved winding out the little 4 banger engines and getting that torque. On the other hand, I owned a manual transmission Xterra years ago and within a month of getting it I was wishing I had gone with the automatic. It just wasnt that "fun"...it was more like work.

I guess I am trying to decide where this jeep falls on that spectrum. The TJ's gave me that sporty feel where I couldnt wait to drive them again. My first impression of the JK was much more like the Xterra where i was working the gears and getting adequate acceleration but it wasnt "fun". It is sort of a feeling thing more than something I can put into words. I wish the dealership wasnt an hour away because I suppose what I need is several more test drives.

I am just so prone to second guessing and I have been waiting for this moment for so long i am over analyzing everything trying to get it "just right".

I will definately look at the limited slip. Thanks!
Unread 12-23-2006, 07:02 PM   #7
jimhut2000

I didn't buy a manual for the sportiness, I just wanted power when I wanted power and not when the Auto thought I would need power.

If you are looking for an exciting drive as apposed to a fun and capable vehicle on and off road, perhaps you may be more inclined to buy a sports car

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor
Thanks for the replies! I did drive the 4.10...but maybe I just soft-footed it a little too much. I was with the salesperson so I was taking it pretty easy and its been a few years since I owned a stick so I was more concerned about not killing the thing.

I have owned small sedans with a stick and wouldnt have it any other way as I loved winding out the little 4 banger engines and getting that torque. On the other hand, I owned a manual transmission Xterra years ago and within a month of getting it I was wishing I had gone with the automatic. It just wasnt that "fun"...it was more like work.

I guess I am trying to decide where this jeep falls on that spectrum. The TJ's gave me that sporty feel where I couldnt wait to drive them again. My first impression of the JK was much more like the Xterra where i was working the gears and getting adequate acceleration but it wasnt "fun". It is sort of a feeling thing more than something I can put into words. I wish the dealership wasnt an hour away because I suppose what I need is several more test drives.

I am just so prone to second guessing and I have been waiting for this moment for so long i am over analyzing everything trying to get it "just right".

I will definately look at the limited slip. Thanks!
Unread 12-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
UTAH

The built-in traction control that's part of the ESP acts like a limited slip. I've had several opportunities this winter to use it - and it works great. With my other vehicles I need to engage 4x4 to get out of my driveway in the snow. The JK does it in 2-wheel drive easily. And, it doesn't get sideways under power. I don't think it's intended to act like a locker off-road, but I can tell you that on-road when it's slick it definitely works.

Bill
Unread 12-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i would look into getting the limited slip also, from what i've read Jeep says to turn the ESP off when off-roading anyways

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2006, 07:58 PM   #10
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The difference you are experiencing might have more to do with the different engine in the JK. The TJ's had the old 4.0L and that thing produced more torque down low so you might be remembering the TJ jumping off the line when you disengaged the clutch. The new JK's have a 3.8 L V6 that require a tad more RPM to get the vehicle moving.

and how did ESP and limited slip get into this disscussion anyways? (just curious)
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2006, 10:48 PM   #11
xfactor

The limited slip is in the discussion because I sort of snuck the question in at the bottom of my post.

I know what you mean with the sports car statement but it isnt that I am expecting to hot rod it although I can see how it sounds like that. It is just that I did find the TJ both sporty and a utility vehicle and in the JK it just seems a little heavier on the utility side and a little less on the sporty side. I think it is what the previous poster suggested...i was used to the power band of the TJ. This will be my first experience with off roading so I feel like an automatic would be alot better choice for me for that aspect of ownership. I just thought the stick would blow it away in the street portion and my first impression did not match that expectation. I will give it another try maybe.

I am not knocking the JK in the least...I am absolutely in love with it.
Unread 12-24-2006, 12:46 AM   #12
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well one thing you may want to look at also is will you be off roading? I was wheeling in a YJ when I lived in SoCal. I loved the ride from Lake Arrowhead to Big Bear! The YJ had an automatic and dont get me wrong I had fun with the auto but when I went to a 5 speed TJ, it was alot more fun on the trail with more flexibilty in the rock crawling. We then moved to the midwest and the 5 speed was a pain in the @SS in city driving, I work in Chicago. Now I got the JK with a 6 speed because it will be my trip vehicle to the trails on the west and east coast. If I was doing another pavement pounder it would have been an auto.
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #13
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly its a 4-door, so its not gonna have that feeling your looking for. Have you tried just driving a 2-door with a 6-speed to see if thats more like you remember a TJ? I realize you have to have a 4-door, but that in itself is whats making the Jeep feel different.

I myself am going to get an auto, but I ma also getting a 2-door.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
xfactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNUTT
Honestly its a 4-door, so its not gonna have that feeling your looking for. Have you tried just driving a 2-door with a 6-speed to see if thats more like you remember a TJ? I realize you have to have a 4-door, but that in itself is whats making the Jeep feel different.

I myself am going to get an auto, but I ma also getting a 2-door.
I think you are 100% right. I was able to try out a 2 door stick that a coworker has and it was closer to that old feeling....and it even had the 3.21 ratio. I think as much as anything it might be the "feel" from the 4 door being so much larger in addition to the weight of course.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.