Limited Slip Rear Differential or Electronic Locking Rear Differential - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Limited Slip Rear Differential or Electronic Locking Rear Differential

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 01-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
danw2

Limited Slip Rear Differential or Electronic Locking Rear Differential

which one would be better to get for a Wrangler X. I would like to do some minor offroading and dont know which one to get with my Jeep.

danw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

For off road use, locking diff.

Last edited by wrnglrguy; 01-06-2008 at 08:17 AM..
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
nd95450
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the locking diff, I'm happy with it for offroading
nd95450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

LSD has done very well for me offroad but you cant beat a locker
Unread 01-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
hig4s
2008 JK Wrangler 

for mild wheeling you will be fine with limited slip. I had factory rear limited slip and open diff on the front of my old YJ and did fine in a lot of places you would think you would you would need more.

I have factory limited slip rear on my JK, and plan on adding Detroit Truetrac limited slip on the front also. Local shop will do it for $600. If I ever start getting into any places I have trouble I'll think about a locker then.
hig4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What type of "minor" off-roading do you plan on doing?

It sounds like you probably won't need a locker if your only doing minor/easy trails.

For the price difference of the LSD vs Locker (which requires the electronic disco's), I would go with the LSD, unless the extra $1,500 or so isn't an issue.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
danw2

i would like to go through some decent mud/water, like 6+ inches perhaps. my biggest concern is, if i was to try to climb a hill and lets say the jeep tilts and one of the rear tire isnt touching that ground. will i be able to get out of it with the LSD? and i was wondering if i could get a simple explination of both and how they work. cuz all i know is the lockers lock both wheels, so no matter what they both spin when you give it gas. am i right?
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #8
hig4s
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danw2
i would like to go through some decent mud/water, like 6+ inches perhaps. my biggest concern is, if i was to try to climb a hill and lets say the jeep tilts and one of the rear tire isnt touching that ground. will i be able to get out of it with the LSD? and i was wondering if i could get a simple explination of both and how they work. cuz all i know is the lockers lock both wheels, so no matter what they both spin when you give it gas. am i right?
Yes and no,, LSD (at least the Detroit Truetrac) when a wheel spins it transfers 3 times the torque to the other wheel. When a wheel is actually in the air there is 0 traction, so 0 torque so nothing to transfer..

On older Jeeps, if you touch the brakes a little, that causes drag and gives the LSD some torque to transfer.

The new JKs have the TSC (Traction control system) see page 101 of your manual. Which in essence works almost like a limited slip (only transfering torque a 1 to 1 ratio), and is on even when ESP is off. It will apply the brakes automatically to any wheel spinning, so you don't have to, forcing the LSD to transfer torque to the wheel on the ground.

This is not an ideal set up if you are going to off road a lot, then you should probably have a locker. But for the occasional off road excursion you should be fine.

But of course, if you can afford it, lockers are better.
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
danw2

ok thanks. and the Wrangler "X" model doesnt come with either the LSD or the lockers so i would have to either find one on the lot or have it ordered?
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
MtnHighTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's a moot point. You talk about light wheelin'. 6 inches of water/mud today = 18 inches tomorrow. You will no doubt one day wish you had a locker. You can always go aftermarket locker after you find your Jeep. The truth is you will never be completely satisfied. You are about to open a big can of worms. You'll see
1 1/4 JKS BL Brown Dog 1" MML
RE monos Nasty's Disco's
15"x 8" soft 8's w/ 35"x12.5'' MT Baja MTZ
A to Z sliders. Nth degree oil pan skid
Rokmen gas skid steering skid Warn dif plate
Superwinch EPi 9000
Currie HD Tie rod
BESRK rear bumper w/swing out

Colorado Jeep Club Member #85[INDENT][/INDENT]
MtnHighTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
danw2

ok well im only 18 and dont have much money to my name. so i just wanted to know if it would be ok if i just got the LSD.
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
MtnHighTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wanted to make a reference to your age and LSD but I won't. This is technical page.
1 1/4 JKS BL Brown Dog 1" MML
RE monos Nasty's Disco's
15"x 8" soft 8's w/ 35"x12.5'' MT Baja MTZ
A to Z sliders. Nth degree oil pan skid
Rokmen gas skid steering skid Warn dif plate
Superwinch EPi 9000
Currie HD Tie rod
BESRK rear bumper w/swing out

Colorado Jeep Club Member #85[INDENT][/INDENT]
MtnHighTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #13
danw2

hahaha thanks
Unread 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
hig4s
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danw2
ok thanks. and the Wrangler "X" model doesnt come with either the LSD or the lockers so i would have to either find one on the lot or have it ordered?

Ahhhmmmm!!! I have an 08 X with rear LSD from the factory!!!!

The LSD or the Electronic locker on the rear are options on the X

On the 2 door they are only available on the X if it has the S package, which is $2900. This brings the MSRP to 23,900 for X 2 door with rear locker or 23,400 with rear LSD and 3.73 rear.

You can get a base 4 door with tow package (to get the 3.73 gears, only because dealers never order the gears without the tow package) and LSD for 23,800 (that is what I got) Jumps to 25,400 for the rear locker, as it seems they only put rear locker on 4 door hardtops.
Unread 01-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #15
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

wow instead of getting the S package I would just go as basic as possible and buy the mopar rubicon D44 axles that come with lockers already assembled. I just bought my set for $3k and they have the 4.10 gears already.
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...4&partID=15586
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.