lifting this weekend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > lifting this weekend

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 01-21-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

lifting this weekend

Im going to lift the jeep this weekend I have the teraflex 2.5 spring lift what tools do I need. How many jack stands how many jacks will I need? do I need chauks for all four wheels?

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

You'll need sockets, a breaker bar and a torque wrench for tools (and some backing wrenches occasionally). Two jacks and two jack stands worked well for me. Just make sure they don't fall over as you need to lift to pretty high heights. I also only chocked one of the wheels left on the ground but I was on a level surface.

Also, check this out: http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

It has some good tips you might not think of in it. Good luck!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

is it easier to remove the tires?

Thought of the day
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

When I did my RK 2.5" lift, I had 1 jack - but two would have been good (if you have them). At least 2 6Ton Jack stands as you will need to get it on stands and pretty high. Makes taking the springs out/in much easier.

You only need to chock 1 wheel. If using two jack stands. If you have 4 Jack stands and are just going to jack up both ends at once, I would still use a chock on while it's still on the ground. Safety is never a bad thing. 6 Ton jack stands will have the weight associated with them to be safer as well as a little more height. remember you will be under it mucking around, so you need the heavier rated stands.

Should be fun and probably take 3-4 hours total to do.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Lenny7
2008 JK Wrangler 

I needed a cheater to re torque the control arms. 125 foot pounds when under the jeep with not much room to work was tough. For me anyway.
And CHOCK THOSE WHEELS! I forgot and now I have a divot in my driveway. Thank God it wasn't in my chest.
Lenny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
WhiteRavenRR
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes you should remove the tires as you will need to flex the axles down to give you the room to remove/ install the coils.
WhiteRavenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have two rubber trailer chocks I was just wondering if I needed 2 more I guess not if you take the wheels off.

Thought of the day
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Pull the brakeline brackets from the frame to eliminate the chance of overextention. Pop the breather tubes from the axle as well. If you unbolt the front drive shaft at the axle this will eliminate the bind at the cv and get the axle to the ground allowing the springs to fall out.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
WhiteRavenRR
2007 JK Wrangler 

You will be fine with 2 jack stands and at least one good jack that has a lot of travel. Just work on one end at a time. I did my lift by myself and just worked on one corner at a time. The 6 ton jacks would make things much easier as I only had 3 ton jacks. Wasn't a big deal until I got to the final front corner. I couldn't get the axle to droop far enough and ended up lowering the axle to the ground and I still had to squeeze the coil to get it to fit.
Unread 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wait do I need to replace the track bars for my lift?

JK Monster Rear Forged Adjustable Trackbar
SKU: 1754418
The rear adjustable trackbar is required on lifts of 2.5" or more. The trackbar is designed to be used in conjunction with a trackbar bracket and helps to restore the trackbar to a natural position to keep the rear axle correctly centered under the vehicle. The trackbar bracket is designed to withstand the added abuse when used in extreme off road situations.

Thought of the day
Unread 01-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #11
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a front adjustable trackbar and Adjustable LCA's with my RK 2.5" lift and a rear bracket used with the stock track bar, so no adjustable bar in the back and I don't seem to have an issue. Of course you can get adjustable upper and lower control arms front and back as well as a adjustable track bar for the back. But, you don't "need" them. Hey.. They say you can't take it with you anyway. One day, I hope to add UCA's to the front and LCA and UCA's to the back along with the adjustable track bar. but that is down the road some as it's sort of a "if it ain't broke.. don't fix it" thing I got going on my lift.

Man, wish I had the time to wonder your way this weekend to help with your lift install. As they are fun to do.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch View Post
I have a front adjustable trackbar and Adjustable LCA's with my RK 2.5" lift and a rear bracket used with the stock track bar, so no adjustable bar in the back and I don't seem to have an issue. Of course you can get adjustable upper and lower control arms front and back as well as a adjustable track bar for the back. But, you don't "need" them. Hey.. They say you can't take it with you anyway. One day, I hope to add UCA's to the front and LCA and UCA's to the back along with the adjustable track bar. but that is down the road some as it's sort of a "if it ain't broke.. don't fix it" thing I got going on my lift.

Man, wish I had the time to wonder your way this weekend to help with your lift install. As they are fun to do.
I will take pics for you..

Thought of the day
Unread 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
WhiteRavenRR
2007 JK Wrangler 

You should not need an adjustable track bar with a 2.5" lift. It should have a relocation bracket for the rear.
Unread 01-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #14
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Chaulked the rear with the tires on, did the front - chaulked the front with the tires on, did the rear. Two jackstands and one jack worked for me, though having one extra jack would be handy. Good luck, be safe, and post pics when you're done!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Same here, one jack and two stands. Raise one end by the axle. Place stands under the frame. Let the axle down. If you couldn't get it high enough, just remove the wheels and let the axle droop.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.