Lifting the JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifting the JK

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #1
Roadtrip

Lifting the JK

Well it's been a whole 3 days and the dealership called telling me about a new 3" lift for my Rubicon... It's $1800 installed and man it sounds cool. 35" tires would look very sweet under this thing.

My concern is; Would a lift change the road manners drastically? I'm really happy with how my Jeep drives on the road, but I really like the bigger tires and visually the Rubicon looks low to me. Unfortunately I doubt anyone has lifted one of these, so input is probably bleak.

Also, I really want to put a plow on before winter (the main excuse I used for buying it) but in my infinite wisdom, it never occurred to me that it is a brand new model design and no one has a plow for it yet... Crap!!!

So, even if I got a 3" lift and a plow was available. Would it be difficult to put a plow on a lifted Jeep?

Roadtrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #2
momomike3

It shouldnt be a DRASTIC change. However, it does change. Mainly, you have to just slow down a little bit, and as long as you pick good shocks, it should be good.

BTW, DO IT. I havent seen a lifted JK on the road yet.
momomike3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
ToolFan

you should try and do the pift yourself. I am sure there are plenty of people willing to help, then it would be like getting free tires!
ToolFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
Stevebo

Ive seen 3" lifts for under $500 without install, Im sure you can get it way cheaper than that.
Stevebo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Better yet take that 1800 and get some people to help install this....

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...?prod=FTS-7133
Go to northridge4x4.com, there's the cheaper 500 dollar version of the lift as well.

I'm sure people would be willing to help and some people might want to see what would be encountered in lifting one as they're a new design especially if they're thinking about buying one. Post pics when its lifted.
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
Karamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip
Also, I really want to put a plow on before winter (the main excuse I used for buying it) but in my infinite wisdom, it never occurred to me that it is a brand new model design and no one has a plow for it yet... Crap!!!
Be sure you know what brand of a lift you are getting, and ask folks around here for advise.

There is a plenty of "show-off special" lifts out there... Not that many of trail worthy ones..
Karamba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip
Well it's been a whole 3 days and the dealership called telling me about a new 3" lift for my Rubicon... It's $1800 installed and man it sounds cool. 35" tires would look very sweet under this thing.

My concern is; Would a lift change the road manners drastically? I'm really happy with how my Jeep drives on the road, but I really like the bigger tires and visually the Rubicon looks low to me. Unfortunately I doubt anyone has lifted one of these, so input is probably bleak.

So, even if I got a 3" lift and a plow was available. Would it be difficult to put a plow on a lifted Jeep?

The SnowBear snow plow is a system that custom-mounts the plow to the front of your vehicle. They make the basic plow compatable with every model of vehicle, then the mounting is specific to your vehicle.

If they don't have something for the JK already, I imagine you could use the TJ-style brackets, modify a bit and mount fairly easily.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
Dukes69

or contact a local plow mfg. and see if they want to prototype a plow/mounting system using your Jeep. Most of the time that means a free product.
AIM: Dukes69

Ya Savvy?
Dukes69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
Roadtrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes69
or contact a local plow mfg. and see if they want to prototype a plow/mounting system using your Jeep. Most of the time that means a free product.
Yeah,

I have a call into SnowWay in Milwaukee hoping they can use my truck. Not sure if I'll hear back from them... I hope so, because so far it's my favorite plow. It only weighs 275lbs and the hydrolics detach with the plow itself. leaving a small bracket/rack attached to the truck.

Otherwise I might be bumming this season...
Unread 10-04-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
Roadtrip

I'll probably hold off on the lift until a few other guys try it first. I really want the plow more than anything this year.

Sounds like If I supply the brew, I could get a few hands putting on the lift when I decide to do it. I guess, we could get alot of beer and pizza for the $1300 I'd save.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.