Lifted 4DR Rubicon to less lifted help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifted 4DR Rubicon to less lifted help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
h2obuff
2007 JK Wrangler 

Lifted 4DR Rubicon to less lifted help

I have a 207 JK Rubicon 4DR , currently with a RE 3.5" Superflex Short Arm lift, utilizing RE Montube shocks, sitting on 17" backspaced wheels riding 35" Goodyear MT's. I also have Buschwacker flat fenders installed. (see pic below)

my wife (at only 5'4") loves the jeep and would like to start using it as a daily driver. However, she would like it a little less tall. What would be the best way to modify the suspension to allow this and keep the 35"?

I still have the original springs, would be as easy as swapping the springs, maybe adding spacers and readjusting the lower control arms, adjusting the steering and realigning?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

img_2269.jpg  
Unread 05-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

2" lift is about as low as you would want to go but with those flares you should be fine at stock height as long as you leave the longer bumpstops for offroad use. I had 35's on mine at stock height and it worked even with the stock flares but not well. Flat fenders and stock height would have been fine I think. Get some step bars and tell her stepping up into it is toning her butt. Lol
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

Leave the lift alone as get a set of Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders.

They would replace your current sliders, and have a electric step that drops down when you open the door. Makes it real easy to get in or out of the jeep and is a fully functional set of slides.

I have a set and they work great even covered in mud and frozen snow/ice.

They are not cheap but are well worth it.

http://www.rockslideengineering.com/...ider&Itemid=57

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

With those fenders, you can probably get away with stock height. A cheap alternative, however, would be the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit. It gives you 2" in the front and 1" in the rear.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hmmm.....it would be a shame to see that beast lowered...
Kind of like taking your German Shepherd to the vet to get tutored...
Let the tires down to 5 psi?
Lower your driveway so she can just step in.
Air cannon in back yard.
Put 20" tires on it.
Get taller wife?

If you drop it, your shocks might be too tall...keep that in mind as well.
Maybe if you checked out a Hummer forum, they know what to do with vehicles that have been made useless.

So sad.... Just find someone with a stock Rubi and trade straight across.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
h2obuff
2007 JK Wrangler 

I still have the stock springs and shocks. Will i have a problem with the RE's lift (i.e. the stock, fixed lowers with cam bolts and the adjustable uppers and the modified track bars)?

Any reason to add spacers, and if so what size front and rear?

Thanks
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
ljrubitm
2011 JK Wrangler 

Fist off I'm not trying to be a jerk. But, there is no way I'm spending some thing like $1,600 on a lift just to lower it so my wife can get in it. I'm 5'-6'', my wife is 5'-4'', my jeep ,, 4'' lift & 35's. Grab handles, side step/rail is what she needed & wanted. You can get something like this, SOMETHING like this, not get this.
http://www.allthingsjeep.com/red32101.html

To lower it back down, what about all 8 of the control arms? will they now be to long. And the same thing goes for the shocks and end links. The rear track bar bracket? If you remove it do you still have the stock one? or will the one in the lift kit work?
There's alot you need to look into.
Nice looking jeep and what rack it that one?
ljrubitm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2obuff View Post
I still have the stock springs and shocks. Will i have a problem with the RE's lift (i.e. the stock, fixed lowers with cam bolts and the adjustable uppers and the modified track bars)?

Any reason to add spacers, and if so what size front and rear?

Thanks
Oh, yes, you did mention the stock items.
You'll have to readjust your arms, if they go short enough. And the trackbar, you have a fairly substantial lift there.

Man you either really like your wife, or just don't want to get divorced.
I really think that finding someone and trading would be FAR easier.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.