lifted 4 door t-case explosion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > lifted 4 door t-case explosion

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
adrock85
2004 WJ 

lifted 4 door t-case explosion

ok soo my buddy buys a lifted 4 door built by BDS and he's comming down US23 about 30k miles later and his t-case detonates. now its not a rubi but i'm wondering if i should put a rubi t-case back in or if i'll have any problems doing that?? i know the 4 to 1 low is nice to have but is it much stronger?? and i dont think he wants to spend atlas $$... suggestions??

adrock85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

IMHO, you need to find out what caused the explosion and go from there.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I would go rubicon or atlas.....the rubicon is stronger then the other models, basically bulletproof. If he does rock crawling then get the 4:1 ratio at the very least.

Ive never seen any JK T-case blow up like that, wonder what happened.....
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Wow, thatís one hell of an explosion. As far as the Rubi transfer case being stronger than a non-Rubi goes, yes the Rubicon case is a whole lot stronger.

Welcome to the forum.
Unread 05-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
adrock85
2004 WJ 

yeah its pretty nuts, I'll put up more pics when i get it out of the jeep. cause that's not the only place its cracked. i have a feeling that its going to come out in 3 or more pieces...
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Makes for a good conversation piece.
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Rubi T-Cases have exploded, too, for the same reason. It's usually front drive shaft vibrations.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
adrock85
2004 WJ 

soo this should be fun.... found a dual shift atlas made for a turbo 350 for $1500, advanced adapters makes an adapter to go from turbo 350 to factory 3.8l trans, go figure. so its getting over nighted and i should have every sat. i'll post more pics on the install and what have ya. but on that note its sleepy time.
Unread 05-27-2011, 04:34 AM   #9
jeeperjk
Web Wheeler
2009 JK Wrangler 

What ratio is it? This could be a good thing.
jeeperjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
Wow, that’s one hell of an explosion. As far as the Rubi transfer case being stronger than a non-Rubi goes, yes the Rubicon case is a whole lot stronger.

Welcome to the forum.
What's different about the Rubicon transfer case (aside from the gears ratios)? They are both NP241s.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
SlvrJK08
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan View Post
What's different about the Rubicon transfer case (aside from the gears ratios)? They are both NP241s.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
I'm gonna have to second this question. As far as I know the actual outer case of the rubicon tcase isn't any different that the non-rubi case. So aside form the gear ratio being different I'm about 98% sure there's no real strength advantage of one over the other.

Most tcase failures in jk's w/ larger lifts are due to cyclic fatigue of the aluminum in the transfer case housing caused by driveline vibrations. The vibrating of the driveshaft causes the material to fatigue, stress crack, and then eventually fail. Resulting in something much like the picture above.

It happens in other jeeps as well, I've seen it first hand (at highway speed at that). Moral of the story is don't ingore driveline vibes associated with un- balanced driveshafts, bad ujoints, crappy pinion angles, etc.
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

i may be reading this wrong... only had one cup of coffee today, but was the transfer case engaged in 4wd whil you were on the highway? The front drive shaft doesnt spin if not engaged does it?
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
i may be reading this wrong... only had one cup of coffee today, but was the transfer case engaged in 4wd whil you were on the highway? The front drive shaft doesnt spin if not engaged does it?
front drive shaft is always spinning, we have locked hubs. You can put in manual hubs to fix this but its expensive and requires different rims.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

When getting the adapter make sure to check out the input shaft spline count and length required when using the adapter. Some of my group have made a similar change and ended up needing a new t-case input shaft to make the input shaft mate with the 3.8 and the extra length of the adapter...just my 2 cents. Advance Adapters can help with all of this.
ditto on the DS vibration problem esp if the pinion angles on stock DS were not corrected at a higher lift (looks like about 3 to 4 in from the phots).
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #15
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxian View Post
front drive shaft is always spinning, we have locked hubs. You can put in manual hubs to fix this but its expensive and requires different rims.
Locking Hubs
Each wheel in a car is bolted to a hub. Part-time four-wheel-drive trucks usually have locking hubs on the front wheels. When four-wheel drive is not engaged, the locking hubs are used to disconnect the front wheels from the front differential, half-shafts (the shafts that connect the differential to the hub) and driveshaft. This allows the differential, half-shafts and driveshaft to stop spinning when the car is in two-wheel drive, saving wear and tear on those parts and improving fuel-economy.

....So back to my question.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 door , t-case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.