Lifted 4 door JK's Only! - Page 154 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifted 4 door JK's Only!

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #2296
Wonk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
^^this. And 3 grown men at least. It may depend on the tires but the MTR/K just did not want to stretch over that outer bead. We had to use fender washers to hold our place on the other side or about a 1/4 of the tire would just pop up on the other side. Used a couple molding tools and a wonder bar to bring lip over, and then a dead blow hammer to beat it the rest of the way over.

All the videos I've watched on the Internet DID NOT look that hard at all. Granted this was our first time doin it, but it just wasn't as easy as I thought. I knew it'd be tedious, and that was the easy part, but we are all sore after doin 5 lol
HUH??? What are you talking about? You didn't bolt the beadlock ring on before putting the tire on the wheel did you? I don't understand.

Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #2297
AppSt59Dave
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonk

HUH??? What are you talking about? You didn't bolt the beadlock ring on before putting the tire on the wheel did you? I don't understand.
That's funny as sheet. I just spit out my banana pudding!
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #2298
Wonk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppSt59Dave View Post
That's funny as sheet. I just spit out my banana pudding!
Not trying to be funny. I've actually seen a Jeep dealership "install" a set of beadlocks on a new Jeep and they put the outer tire bead over the lip that the beadlock ring bolts to then bolted the beadlock ring on. I still don't know how they held air.
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #2299
jvandy50
2010 JK Wrangler 

probably bad terminology on my part. See the tire by the upper right corner of rim, it wouldn't go over the wheel without another part popping up. Not even with a 230# guy standing on the area that was already seated, it'd still pop up

image-1383340947.jpg
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #2300
AppSt59Dave
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50
probably bad terminology on my part. See the tire by the upper right corner of rim, it wouldn't go over the wheel without another part popping up. Not even with a 230# guy standing on the area that was already seated, it'd still pop up
Width on that MTR? 13.50? I'll be mounting
Either a 35x12.50 Trail Grappler or a 36x14(I think) Irok Radial. Either way, lots of sunshine and tire lube!
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #2301
Wonk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Either a 35x12.50 Trail Grappler or a 36x14(I think) Irok Radial. Either way, lots of sunshine and tire lube!
Just to clarify, the tire doesn't go OVER the part that has the bolt holes in it. It rests on TOP of this ring and is squeezed between the rim and beadlock ring. Shouldn't need any tire lube. With the tire in the position it is in the above pic, lay the ring on the wheel and use 4-6 extra long bolts evenly spaced around the ring to start the ring down evenly on the tire/wheel. Once everything is centered up, start putting in the regular bolts and tighten them in a criss-cross pattern a little at a time (neversieze all the bolts) and replace the long bolts with the supplied regular bolts. Keep tightening in the criss-cross pattern a little at a time until they are all evenly torqued to the recommended torque setting. Repeat 3-4 more times.
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #2302
jvandy50
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
12.50. We didn't have much heat here saturday so i put em in the powdercoating oven at 140 pretty much all day. used some soapy water too(mostly soap). i had read these tires were not fun to mount in multiple threads on forums, and that pretty much turned out to be true.. for us anyway. and no i didn't bolt up the ring and then try it. hope you have an easier time than we did!
Unread 08-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #2303
jvandy50
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
Just to clarify, the tire doesn't go OVER the part that has the bolt holes in it. It rests on TOP of this ring and is squeezed between the rim and beadlock ring. Shouldn't need any tire lube. With the tire in the position it is in the above pic, lay the ring on the wheel and use 4-6 extra long bolts evenly spaced around the ring to start the ring down evenly on the tire/wheel. Once everything is centered up, start putting in the regular bolts and tighten them in a criss-cross pattern a little at a time (neversieze all the bolts) and replace the long bolts with the supplied regular bolts. Keep tightening in the criss-cross pattern a little at a time until they are all evenly torqued to the recommended torque setting. Repeat 3-4 more times.
this isn't how mine worked. we needed lube to get the tire on, and the longer bolt idea didn't work for us. it didn't "rest" on anything, it had to be persuaded like crazy and then put the ring on. and by the time we had the inner tire over the lip, the standard bolts reached, just barely, but they did.

OP, what wheel did you order? i'm guessing some are designed a little differently
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #2304
jvandy50
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
this isn't how mine worked. we needed lube to get the tire on, and the longer bolt idea didn't work for us. it didn't "rest" on anything, it had to be persuaded like crazy and then put the ring on. and by the time we had the inner tire over the lip, the standard bolts reached, just barely, but they did.

AppSt59Dave, what wheel did you order? i'm guessing some are designed a little differently
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #2305
AppSt59Dave
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50

AppSt59Dave, what wheel did you order? i'm guessing some are designed a little differently
ATX Slabs. Im doing an article on it for my company's website and fb page. Should be a fun learning experience
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #2306
Xet2ss615
2012 JK Wrangler 

AEV 3.5" lift
17" AEV pintlers, argent color
35" Goodyears
2012 Sahara JKU
Wife hates it now, too tall. Rock sliders power step sliders in the mail!
2012-07-27_17-04-07_152.jpg   photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg  
Xet2ss615 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #2307
Xet2ss615
2012 JK Wrangler 

opps
Unread 08-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #2308
Xet2ss615
2012 JK Wrangler 

opps
not sure why upside down!
Unread 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #2309
jvandy50
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppSt59Dave

ATX Slabs. Im doing an article on it for my company's website and fb page. Should be a fun learning experience
So pretty much same wheel as me with different ring. Those were back ordered when I got wheels. Love em. If you have any question during install feel free to holler at me. I can give ya the links I used to help us out. I don't think it'll be as difficult as long as you use a tire that isn't an MTR/K. That seems to be the common denominator in the other 2 folks I found that had a PITA time mounting them. Good luck and post some pics when done!
Unread 08-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #2310
Papawhiskey
2011 JK Wrangler 

Doors off
Papawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 door , image , JK Wrangler , lifted , photos , pictures , unlimited , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.