Lifted 2dr Pics - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifted 2dr Pics

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #61
BiTMAP
1992 YJ Wrangler 

go with trXus MT's I enjoy the ride much better and they come on a 16r rim at a decent price.

BiTMAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #62
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele07JK View Post
ok need help. have a 3.5 lift and getting 35x12.5 BFG KM2's. I would like to stay with a 15 inch rim but need advice on what brand will work (avoid brake rubbing and stuff) and how much backspacing. Going with 15 saves money in a big way!
I run Cragar Soft 8s, 15x8, 4" backspacing. I am not the only one. This is a very common wheel for JK owners.

I had to slightly modify my Rubicon front Dana 44 brake calipers for the wheels to not rub.

However, I sold one set of these same wheels to a friend with an 07 X Unlimited with a Dana 30 front axle and he had no rubbing or need to grind any excess material off his calipers. Because you have a Dana 30 front on your 2dr Sahara, you may not need to remove any caliper material.

Here is a link to the wheels:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3975850/

Here is a link for center caps:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-29270-1/

Here is are a couple pictures of why the back part of the punch holes on the Soft 8s can sometimes rub (notice how thick and far out the bottom rim of the caliper sticks out):

If you have to grind a little material off, this is where:

This is a Dana 30 front axle caliper (see how the part of the caliper in question is more rounded and doesn't stick out as far):

This is the process:

I used my daughter's sidewalk chalk to cover the areas identified in the above picture. Then, I would put the wheel on with 2 lug nuts moderately tightened so I could turn the wheel and listen for rubbing. Then, I would remove the wheel and see where the chalk had been rubbed off. I ground a little material off those areas, re-applied the chalk, and repeat. After repeating a second time, I had elminated all the scraping/rubbing on the drivers's side. The process was the same for the passenger's side.

After I finished, I painted the areas I ground with some grey anti-rust primer paint.

Hod rod builders have been grinding calipers for years. I have not heard of one problem here or on any other forum for those who had to do a little grinding to make 15" Cragar Soft 8s with 4" backspacing fit.

This is what they look like mounted:

planman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #63
KICKER32
2009 JK Wrangler 

Did the same thing on mine to get Cragar soft 8s to fit.

Grind here as well

Although I drive a 4 door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Spam; it's what we settle on for dinner.
KICKER32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #64
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele07JK View Post
ok need help. have a 3.5 lift and getting 35x12.5 BFG KM2's. I would like to stay with a 15 inch rim but need advice on what brand will work (avoid brake rubbing and stuff) and how much backspacing. Going with 15 saves money in a big way!

I have 15" ProComp RockCrawler black rock crawlers, with the 3.75" backspacing...no rubbing for me...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 02:51 AM   #65
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Haha, I did get out of it...eventually.
Unread 06-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #66
JkRyder
2008 JK Wrangler 

haha did you just sit there spinning them til you were totally sol? Looks like a nice hole
JkRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #67
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkRyder View Post
haha did you just sit there spinning them til you were totally sol? Looks like a nice hole
Well I rammed it hard when I started across the river. Then it just SUNK. Man that bed rock was SOFT. Very deceiving. We tried to self winch our selves out (Ratchet one). I was sunk too far for it to work... so after that I manned up and walked the 2 miles back to the last place I saw someone and asked for a pull out. Meanwhile my dad got in the drivers seat and pretty much red lined it in reverse. LOL I could hear it.

After that my ABS system was screwed up because of the fine rock. It got into every part of my wheel system. Had to take the wheels off and even the rotors to power wash the rocks out of the system. I still think I have some in the frame rails!

I eventually took it to the stealership and they fixed the whole rear axle. Quoting "Rear axle bearing damaged, heavy work required". Haha!
Unread 06-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #68
JkRyder
2008 JK Wrangler 

haha ya those sink holes are brutal when they are unexpecting
JkRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:01 PM   #69
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I suggest affixing a winch to your bumper. And getting something a little more aggressive than whatever you've got on there (looks like BFG AT's).
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #70
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yes...because a little bit more agressive tire would have kept you from sinking into that sand... /sarcasm.
Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #71
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sarcasm! Perfect!

I don't have much experience with wet sand like that, but I'm pretty sure aired down 12.5" wide M/T's wouldn't have a problem. Or at least, they'd give an EXTREMELY improved chance over those A/T's...
Unread 06-25-2009, 06:56 AM   #72
warCryr
2008 JK Wrangler 

He's right ya know
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #73
terrahawk
2007 JK Wrangler 

An A/T is a better tire for sand than an M/T. I'm talking like deep soft sand.
Unread 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #74
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warCryr View Post
He's right ya know
Who is? Pronouns should be used sparingly when insufficient context is available

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
An A/T is a better tire for sand than an M/T. I'm talking like deep soft sand.
O RLY? I'm not saying you're wrong, necessarily, as like I said I don't have much experience with it, but I'd love to know what makes you say that.
Unread 06-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #75
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

All I was saying is given his circumstances there I doubt any tire short of much BIGGER tires would have made a difference. Riverbed sand like that is some pretty nasty stuff and that looked pretty thick. A winch would have been good though.
Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 door , image , JK Wrangler , lifted , photos , picture , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.