Lifted 2 door driveshaft/rearend clicking? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lifted 2 door driveshaft/rearend clicking?

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 01-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
ArmyMud
2007 JK Wrangler 

Lifted 2 door driveshaft/rearend clicking?

I have an 07 2 door 6-speed X with a newly installed ProComp 2.5' LIFT on 32" AT tires, I netted exactly 3.1" with the lift. Everything went in smoothly and the alignment has been done, rides better than stock IMO.I went with 2.5 since its normaly only the 3" and up that has driveshaft problems and im lookin to go to 33" tires in the future.

when i go farward i have little to no problems, sometimes a really mild clank noise that sounds like its coming from the driveshaft but only once while im engauging the clutch, but in reverse its a completely differant story. Sometimes its just a mild clank like in forward but other times its just "clank clank clank clank clank clank" until i let off the clutch in reverse. I checked all brake/abs/hand brake/swaybar/and drive shaft clearance and nothing is rubbing or out of place. my CV boots are still good as well, soft, no dry rot, still holding greese

My question is, is it time to start lookin for a new double U jointed rear driveshaft or any ideas as to what else could be causeing this?

ArmyMud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have this lift, I have 33" tires. I tore my boot on my front driveshaft. I'm lucky I changed them when I did because they were complete crap when I changed them after having the lift on for about 9 months (tore the boot around 7 months. A 2 door will mess up your driveshaft quicker than a 4door because the lift screws up the angle that much faster. I can't say much to what is making this noise right now since your boot is not torn...

But my suggestion is you will need a new front drive shaft, rear drive shaft and control arms... I went with front lower and rear upper to get my pinion angle back to an appropriate angle... At first I just did front LCA's but since the angle was messed up and with a double u joint driveshaft I was getting vibrations at 25mph-40mph...

I went with Tom Woods 1310 shafts and some Teraflex front LCA, rear UCA to fix this problem. If you didn't find out already you should have had to replace your stock front track bar with the lift too, if not you are probably driving crooked like I did for .5 mile until I rechecked everything.

Your 2.5" lift will very quickly turn into a frankinlift like mine if you want to get things correct. I am probably ditching the Pro Comp Shocks and getting Bilstein's and front adjustable UCA's to fine tune my Caster Angle. The rear shocks are too short and about to blow at any point and I have a little more float on the highway than I wish. All I am going to be left with from that lift will be the springs, rear track bar bracket and bump stops.

Just my experience with a similar set up, so take what you want from it.
Tera Front Lower Controls Arms, Rear Upper Control Arms, Synergy HD Balljoints
Tom Woods 1310 Driveshafts
33" KM2's on ProComp 7069 16x8's
Superchips Flashpaq
AEV Premium Front Bumper, IPF 900XSD Lights, Warn 9.5ti w/ Synthetic Line
AEV Rear Bumper, Tuffy Security Deck
D30 Front Sleeved and Gusseted, RCV's, ARB Locked
4.88 G2 Gears
D44 Rear ARB Locked, Chromoly Shafts[/CENTER]
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
ArmyMud
2007 JK Wrangler 

yea soo far im looking at all new adjustable lower control arms to get the angle back in and tom woods 1310 driveshafts look like a good deal. that will hopefully alieve my knocking, no vibrations or clicking at speed just when i change direction or start from a standstill. thanks for the advice im goin to start ordering parts now lol. AND NOW WE PLAY THE WAITING GAME!
Unread 01-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
ArmyMud
2007 JK Wrangler 

btw i know some of the 2000-2006 wranglers and cherokees has a noise that was considered pretty normal, a clank noise from the manual trannys when engauging the clutch, could that be what im hearing?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.