Lift and Ride, Can you have both? RE or MC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift and Ride, Can you have both? RE or MC

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Luxx989

Lift and Ride, Can you have both? RE or MC

Plan on doing a lift, 3.5 to 4.5 inches or so, to run 35 or 37's. 2014 Rubicon Unlimited, probably half my driving is in town, half on highway, with a small percentage (5% maybe) going off road or through mud, snow, dirt road, small obstacles, etc (nothing extreme). I've been looking at the Rubicon Express LA and Metalcloak game changer with six pack.. My question is who's got the best ride as good or better than factory? Doesn't have to be either one of these, but would appreciate insight if you have either. Since most of my driving doesn't involve off road, I want to keep a good ride first, and off road second. But I do want a setup than can flex a little and perform off road as well. I don't care which one cost what, I just want opinions on performance. Also, opinions on Metalcloak six pack, street ride and off road?

I will be adding bumpers front and rear, winch, rock rails. droop?

Thanks!

Luxx989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
itzfreddie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My opinion on the six pack, shocks go bad after x miles and springs dont really. who wants to replace 4 400$ shocks?
itzfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #3
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzfreddie View Post
My opinion on the six pack, shocks go bad after x miles and springs dont really. who wants to replace 4 400$ shocks?
Are you expecting that other shocks wont go bad in the same amount of time?
I dont understand, please help me understand what you are trying to say. You pay 400 bucks per shock and you get quality shocks that eventually go bad so there is no reason to buy the shocks?
You wouldn't get coilovers because they are pricey compared to stock shocks or oem replacements and they may go bad?
ferninaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
itzfreddie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Id rather pay 100 to replace a shock than 400. And I am speaking in terms where the option of coilovers is not avaliable
Unread 01-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzfreddie View Post
Id rather pay 100 to replace a shock than 400. And I am speaking in terms where the option of coilovers is not avaliable
Considering the lift options he is looking at I think coilovers are in his price range so maybe 400 dollar shocks are an option for him. We just have different ways of looking at things I guess, I would prefer to spend a little more and get a better quality product that will probably last longer than get an inferior product that will be replaced more often.
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
itzfreddie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well if this is for a jk I would coilover convert rather than metal cloak game changer, my buddy( who drives a jk) said that coilovers for a jk and gamechanger are around the same price. I would choose the coilovers but thats just my opinion, I have absolutly no exlerience with eaither of the kits ive listed.
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxx989 View Post
Plan on doing a lift, 3.5 to 4.5 inches or so, to run 35 or 37's.
I have 35s on a MC 2.5" GCL lift. I think 35s would look small on a 3.5 or 4.5 lift. So I would go at least 37s. In fact on a 4.5, I would run at least 40s.

Quote:
My question is who's got the best ride as good or better than factory?
My ride is as good as factory and better on cornering. Can't speak for other lifts since I don't have them.

Quote:
Also, opinions on Metalcloak six pack, street ride and off road?
Sorry but haven't had a chance to wheel with it yet. I already addressed street ride.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
ferninaz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The complete JK ELITE Coilover Suspension Package, from GenRight is 15000 dollars. http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....uctid=GRCSKJK4
Pretty sure you get everything you would need to do the conversion minus driveshafts, steering box, high steer kit. For 4000 you could get the GameChanger, add both driveshafts for 1400, just to keep the price on the high end, high steer 1200, hydraulic assist steering 1600, tires 37" 2000, beadlocks 1800. Total 10200. Add in extras like undercarriage armor, tire carrier, bumpers and an spod and still not be at 15000. Considering all of that, which one is cheaper?
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
ncb

Seems like a lot of money and overkill for small obstacles and nothing extreme.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
znelson

Right now I got 1.75 lift on 2014 jk sport 2door with 35 trail grapplers and rough country 2.2 shocks and my rides like a dream off and on road
znelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

i can tell you , reality of it. Jk's in hard ground find that belly real fast. most can not afford to belly up a Jk so you have two choices. Tires and Lift. i only have 3.5 and 35"s but we really wheel this 2012. from the Rubicon to moab and many 4 rated AZ trails that love to eat jeep. i wish i had another 1" even on the Jeep....lol

Summer Dusy run baby.........
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
ROCKR8R
2008 JK Wrangler 

RE is not on the same wavelength as MC. Metal Cloak hands down in on road ride and off-road prowess, comparatively.

3.5-4.5" is too tall for 35's, IMO.

-Dan
ROCKR8R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Luxx989

It's only about blowing money for no reason partially, lol. I want dependable, quality products that get the results I am looking for. I am willing to pay more to get more. I'm not gonna say I won't get more aggressive with it after the new wears off in a couple years and I find another daily driver. When it becomes a toy, it will be driven like a toy. But for now I need occasional off-road capabilities, and when I need them, I want them to perform. When I say nothing extreme I mean I'm not taking it rock climbing, wading across a deep river, or trying to climb hills that put my front tires higher than my windshield! But I don't want to bottom out going up a mountain trail with a few small boulders, or rub going down worn dirt roads on our farm, or skid on the curb I just hopped to get out of Toys"r"Us parking lot! How often I'm going to use it shouldn't concern anyone because it has nothing to do with my questions. Again, since the majority of my time will be spent on pavement, I just don't want my JK to beat the crap out of me when I run to the store for milk and cookies! I would gladly spend less to get more, but that's rarely the case with anything. I don't want to buy a lift just because it's expensive. That's why I asked, tell me if they suck? But if they are more expensive and perform better, I will pay every time.

I assume a long arm setup will make for a better ride, they just happen to be more expensive it seems. And I'm still out on the six pack shocks?
Luxx989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #14
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
i can tell you , reality of it. Jk's in hard ground find that belly real fast. most can not afford to belly up a Jk so you have two choices. Tires and Lift. i only have 3.5 and 35"s but we really wheel this 2012. from the Rubicon to moab and many 4 rated AZ trails that love to eat jeep. i wish i had another 1" even on the Jeep....lol

Summer Dusy run baby.........
well said, i fell everyone saying 4" on 35s is way overkill doesnt wheel to hard or often. cost aside the tummy tuck on a jk is a royal pain with little return compared to others as weve said before.
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #15
dustyroads1
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKR8R View Post
RE is not on the same wavelength as MC. Metal Cloak hands down in on road ride and off-road prowess, comparatively.

3.5-4.5" is too tall for 35's, IMO.

-Dan
Quote:
It's only about blowing money for no reason partially, lol. I want dependable, quality products that get the results I am looking for. I am willing to pay more to get more. I'm not gonna say I won't get more aggressive with it after the new wears off in a couple years and I find another daily driver. When it becomes a toy, it will be driven like a toy. But for now I need occasional off-road capabilities, and when I need them, I want them to perform. When I say nothing extreme I mean I'm not taking it rock climbing, wading across a deep river, or trying to climb hills that put my front tires higher than my windshield! But I don't want to bottom out going up a mountain trail with a few small boulders, or rub going down worn dirt roads on our farm, or skid on the curb I just hopped to get out of Toys"r"Us parking lot! How often I'm going to use it shouldn't concern anyone because it has nothing to do with my questions. Again, since the majority of my time will be spent on pavement, I just don't want my JK to beat the crap out of me when I run to the store for milk and cookies! I would gladly spend less to get more, but that's rarely the case with anything. I don't want to buy a lift just because it's expensive. That's why I asked, tell me if they suck? But if they are more expensive and perform better, I will pay every time.

I assume a long arm setup will make for a better ride, they just happen to be more expensive it seems. And I'm still out on the six pack shocks?
Quote:
Plan on doing a lift, 3.5 to 4.5 inches or so, to run 35 or 37's. 2014 Rubicon Unlimited, probably half my driving is in town, half on highway, with a small percentage (5% maybe) going off road or through mud, snow, dirt road, small obstacles, etc (nothing extreme). I've been looking at the Rubicon Express LA and Metalcloak game changer with six pack.. My question is who's got the best ride as good or better than factory? Doesn't have to be either one of these, but would appreciate insight if you have either. Since most of my driving doesn't involve off road, I want to keep a good ride first, and off road second. But I do want a setup than can flex a little and perform off road as well. I don't care which one cost what, I just want opinions on performance. Also, opinions on Metalcloak six pack, street ride and off road?

I will be adding bumpers front and rear, winch, rock rails. droop?

Thanks!
If you decide on Metalcloak you don't have to go with the six pack shocks, I have the 2 1/2" game changer ARB {OME Shocks} and love it, and yes there is plenty of room for 35's, 37's with flat fenders.
The ride is great on and off road.
I don't think you need or want more than 2 1/2" - 3 1/2".That will get you where you want , go beyond that better have DEEP pockets.
dustyroads1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.