Lift Questions? Tire Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Questions? Tire Questions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Lift Questions? Tire Questions

Real quick, traded a 2008 Mustang for my '10 JK Sahara, love it. I'm rather knowledgable on Mustang specs and mods, but not Jeep. So I need help.

First question, lift. I just want a small lift, as my offroading is nothing major. The trails and roads I drive on in the mountains here in WV on a scale from 1-10 probably don't exceed a 5. My problem is, do I go with a body lift or suspension lift? Being in college I don't really want to put a lot of money into a lift. Performance-speaking, like I said, I'm no champ and it doesn't matter, I just want some more clearance so I can step it up a notch offroad. I'm looking at a 2" body lift from Zone offroad, and also a Teraflex 2.5" budget booster from Quadratec. What modifications, if any, need to be made after installing a lift? If it's going to be a lot of work, I may go a different route. Also keep into consideration this is my only vehicle so it's a daily driver.

Next question, tires. What are the biggest tires I can run without rubbing? This is really ignorant but I don't even know what's on my Sahara, I just know it's stock. Also, with bigger tires, is regearing required? I know I'd have to adjust my odometer, but anything else? And another thing, can I run bigger tires on my stock rims? =\

If I didn't make myself clear please tell me and I'll try to explain a little better. Thank you guys so much for any help/input.

*EDIT*- I have a 2dr Sahara, auto trans. If that helps.

Last edited by john304; 01-20-2011 at 02:17 PM..
john304 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

a 1-2" puck budget boost + jks quick disconnects

a bit more underbody clearance and a lot more flex up front for a pretty cheap price

getting some rubicon take-off coils, shocks from a 4dr, assuming you have a 2dr sahara would also net some more lift.

rubicon take-off tires would also be another minor upgrade. slight lift and better rock/mud tread pattern then the stock sahara tires.
skivviss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
a 1-2" puck budget boost + jks quick disconnects

a bit more underbody clearance and a lot more flex up front for a pretty cheap price

getting some rubicon take-off coils, shocks from a 4dr, assuming you have a 2dr sahara would also net some more lift.

rubicon take-off tires would also be another minor upgrade. slight lift and better rock/mud tread pattern then the stock sahara tires.
Thanks. The coils, shocks from a 4dr, in addition to the budget boost and jks quick disconnects or as an alternative? Sorry. Also, Rubi tires would fit on mine? I thought the Saharas had bigger wheels =\
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john304 View Post
Thanks. The coils, shocks from a 4dr, in addition to the budget boost and jks quick disconnects or as an alternative? Sorry. Also, Rubi tires would fit on mine? I thought the Saharas had bigger wheels =\
oops, you are right on the wheels, sahara 18s. so you would need full rubi wheel/tire take-offs. on a budget i wouldn't worry about the tires, the A/T aren't going to let you down in 5rated stuff.

i'd say a good budget setup to boost your sahara offroad would be:

1-2" budget boost pucks
rubicon 4dr coils
jks quick discos (or any similar product)

you could also get the rubicon take off shocks, slightly better then the non-rubi ones. won't really improve clearance or such, but a slightly better washboard ride. probably not noticeable.

if you still want to do tires, you can probably sell your take-offs to recoup a bit the cost of rubicon take offs for yourself.

others have posted great deals on 15" rims/tires. most of the time tires get cheaper the smaller the rim they go on. have to be careful on 15s not all will fit the jk properly.
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

oh, and virtually free one. cut the stock bumper ends off and turn it into a stubby. will help on approach angles quite a bit when you can hit things at an angle and crawl up and over even when its taller then your bumper.
Unread 01-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skivviss View Post
jks quick discos (or any similar product)
Sorry again, but by jks, is that a brand, or are you meaning like, JK's (the model)? lol
Unread 01-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
skivviss
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john304 View Post
Sorry again, but by jks, is that a brand, or are you meaning like, JK's (the model)? lol
JKS Quicker Disconnects is a brand of sway bar quick disconnects. There are a few companies making them.
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
gdub
2010 JK Wrangler 

Check your spring part numbers (on the tags) if you have the towing pig you may have the stiffer springs anyway - highest number for fronts is 19 and back is 60...

If you are close on those #'s then just go to a 2.5 budget boost and some quick discos (JKS are nice, but here are others as well - some of the bb's come with them) and you should be good to go...
2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights
gdub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
john304
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.