Lift Question Drive Quality - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Question Drive Quality

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
mibpf
2013 JK Wrangler 

Lift Question Drive Quality

Im trying to decide on a lift for my Rubicon. I test drove a guys lifted jeep. He had a 4" zone lift with fox shocks and fox steering stabilzer along with 35" toyo M/T'. This was the first lifted jeep I have ever driven. I noticed while driving his jeep, when I approached 60 mph, the jeep was tracking strange. It made me nervous to increase speed above 60mph. I did not feel any vibration I just had to move the steering wheel more than my stock Rubicon to stay in the lane.

I asked the owner about the issue and he said it was do to the 35" tire on a 17" rim. He said if he would have gone with a 20" rim and tire it would have driven much better at higher speeds.

I have had my Rubicon up to 90 mph without any problems. I am just wandering do all lifted jeeps drive the same way as the one I test drove? I was planning on installing a 2.5 Rock Krawler max travel lift and within 3 years giving it too my daughter to drive for her first car but if lifting the jeep will cause stability or tracking issues, it might not be agood idea.

Any input before I spend a lot of money would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
David

mibpf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

No, it should not do that if you have the suspension set right. I do not have any problems taking mine up to 85/90. I have 35s and 17" wheels with 3" of lift.

what will affect the way the jeep behaves somewhat is the width of the tires. The wider the tires the more they will follow grooves and other inconsistencies on the road. On some stretches of road I will get some wandering (grooved pavement or asphalt that has indentations from driving on it are the times I notice it). But on a good stretch of road at 70 I will put almost no input into the steering wheel.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't think the 4" zone lift does anything to address the caster that is out because of that much lift. Some adjustable lower front arms would bring it back to stock caster and it wouldn't be so flighty and want to wander all over.

Lifting any jeep will change how it handles. I have a 3" lift and castor corrected and feel comfortable and safe at 80 but I can't say I have had the JK to 90, I'm just not in that big of a hurry I guess. Plus, my gas mileage suffers significantly anything over 65-70.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the RK 2.5" Max Travel lift with 37's on 17" wheels, Fox 2.0 shocks and Fox SS. Very stable, doesn't drift or wander. And I have had it up to 90mph (RIPP supercharger helps).

That guy's Jeep needs some adjustment. It's not the wheels, it's his suspension setup.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Tire pressure can cause a great deal of tracking issues with any lift as well. Too much air and the jeep feels flighty.

3.5" lift with 37 x 13.50 tires on 17" rims, Proper alignment, adjustable CAs, Adj trackbars etc here. No tracking issues or flighty.
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
csm41
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" with Bilstein shocks and the Rancho drop brackets. This set up rides great. Not much difference from stock. I really notice how good the ride on my JKU is when I switch to my lifted TJ (see profile). Sounds like your friend needs adjustable control arms or some drop brackets. Looks like a castor issue to me.
csm41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm running 37's on 17" wheels with a 4.5" AEV lift and have never had any issues with wander at any speed (been up to 80 in its current configuration).
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Just like these guys have said...

If it is setup right, you lifted JK can drive better than stock. There are a few things that could cause your friends JK to drive like it did. My guess would be it didn't have a front track bar and lower control arms. Without these, the front axle is out of whack and will not handle well. The Max Travel lift your looking at corrects these two issue and will drive and handle a lot better. I have this lift on one of our JK's and it does great! Never had a issue!

If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know...

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think you'd be a lot happier with the AEV 3.5" dual sport than than rock Krawler. RK does nothing to correct roll center and their coils are not progressive wound or frequency tuned like the AEVs are.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

Dang. Did hell freeze over?
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Another vote here for AEV. My 3.5" lift with 35's rides much smoother than it did stock, but the cherry on top is the slightly lower tire pressure, too.
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

I vote for AEV 2.5 ( gave me 5" YES 5" in front 4 " in rear) now with that claim I had a lot of weight and 98k miles on my 2008 JKU
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't want to be called mall crawler NONONONO
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #14
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Any quality lift that incorporates all of the necessary parts and is properly installed and torqued will drive better than stock, big tires or not. And the going with a bigger size for your wheels/rims don't do **** - except cost a butt-load more for the rubber and look dumb.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius
Any quality lift that incorporates all of the necessary parts and is properly installed and torqued will drive better than stock, big tires or not. And the going with a bigger size for your wheels/rims don't do **** - except cost a butt-load more for the rubber and look dumb.
Actually a big BIG big negative on trails with lower profile tires!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.