Lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Jeepster63
2012 JK Wrangler 

Lift question

I've read many things here about lifting & suspension mods. My question is based on factory geometry. How much lift can you use, with out affecting the relationship of all the components ad in death wobble, caster, camber & other negative issues. I have a 2012 JK 2 door & have had it lifted by Clemson 4 wheel drive here in upstate SC. I am running 315 75R 16 tires on 16 X 8 Cepeck wheels with a 4" back space. No issues as of yet, but would like to know if issues that could or may arise as the miles clocked up. Thanks in advance. This is my 1st Jeep and I love it so far!!!

Jeepster63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, what lift kit (brand and height) did you put on it?

Any lift affect the stock geometry. If you stay at about 3.5" and below, things will pretty much feel similar to stock. More than that and you start needing a high steer kit.
Death wobble is usually a result of worn-out components.
AEV makes a very good street ride, due to the control arm lowering brackets they use. However, ground clearance suffers due to those lowering brackets.
I'm running Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel and it feels much more stable than stock, despite being on 37's.
Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road, he's in your area and a vendor on the forum. He's very helpful. www.krawloff-road.com
And Go Tigers!!
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

The more lift, the more you mess with things. It's really that simple.
Get the amount you think you need to make the Jeep do what you want it to do.
I'm also running the RK Max Travel 2.5". It's an awesome lift. No regerets of any kind to date.
Just keep in mind that the new Wrangler does not sit like a pickup truck or an older Wrangler. A 2.5" lift on the 2007 and newer is a substantial amount of lift.
A new Wrangler will actually clear 35's bone stock with minor amounts of rubbing if that gives you any idea of how they sit. You would not want to run that way for long, but pretty much any other stock vehicle made can't even come close to that.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice! You are right down the road from us! Fred is a nice guy...

So, what lift did you have installed? Did they swap out the driveshafts on your rig? 4" is a lot of angle to put on the stock drivline. That would be my frist concern.

Then, like Trails said, DW is ususally the result of wornout parts and things in the suspension being loose.

Last, anytime you lift a JK, it throws off the castor. Not sure what lift your running or its componets but a lot of the nicer lifts address this and fix the castor. Usually it is with lower adjustable control arms in the front. AEV does it with their drop brackets.

Let us know if we can help my friend!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Jeepster63
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm thinking it's a Daystar lift kit. It's 2.5 inches. I wanted a spring lift, no rubber spacers ect. Along with that, they installed track bar brackets & an exhaust extension kit. I had 4:88 gears installed as well & this Jeep rocks now!! I was just wondering if there are any know preventive measures or such, that can be done to head off some of the issues I've read about here. I will post a photo of this JK here if I can. Thanks!
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Humm, yeah post up some pictures of the JK and the lift if you can. I am interested in seeing what the put on there for you. Then, we can go from there and help point you in the right direction.

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
Unread 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Jeepster63
2012 JK Wrangler 

I will tonight when I get iff work. Crazy phone keeps failing on up load. Thanks.
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
campman
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am just looking for any recomendations on a lift for added height to lose the "soccer mom look". 2.5 probably. Only going to do 33 in ch tires. Good quality lift for a good price please.
campman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

if all you want is to put 33's on, find some 1.5" spacers and throw them in and get an alignment. $150 - boom.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

33's will fit without a lift. Heck, you can put 35's on there without a lift...wouldn't off-road it though.

Get some 33's on some nice wheels, and you'd have a nice, tough rig.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

If all your looking to do is add some height with no performace gain, it is hard to beat the TearFlex Leveling Kit:

http://www.krawloff-road.com/product_p/tfjk1155200.htm

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.