Lift question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift question?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-03-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
nj-rubi
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lift question?

Hello again,

well here is my delema. looking for a 3.25" lift. it is for my 08 rubi.

with all the lifts to choose from this is now harder then ever.

I have been looking at the rusty's 3.25 advanced lift. this this lift has ajustable track bars and controll arms.... BUT.. is theresomething else out there?

i did look at some others. Some input would be great.

all work will be completed in my garage/ shop and welding or other fabrication should not be a problem.

thanks in advance.

nj-rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
4x4Cajun
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have the Rusty's kit on my 2011 JKU. It was super easy to install and rides great. Search my profile and you will find the build thread I have on it. For the price and what you get, the Rusty's kit is hard to beat. None of the other kits I considered came with adjustable track bars. That was a big selling point for me.
2014 JKU Rubicon X, Billet Silver, auto trans, leather, tow package, color matched top and fenders, 430N Nav and remote start. Plus all the stuff that comes with the X package Previous: 2011 Unlimited Sahara, Nav Auto, Rusty's 3.25 Lift Kit, Rug Ridge Bumper, 18 x 9" Pro Comp 7031, 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers, XRC8 Winch, 4.88s...
4x4Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
CHIPMAKER
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sometimes lifts give you more lift than advertised, was the 3.25' lift just that, or a little more?
2013 Honda F6B
CHIPMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
bigworm36
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have done a lot of research on lifts as well and I will be ordering rustys 3.25 kit this week. A friend who I wheel with has a unlimited and loves his rustys 3.25 kit. Although it is a little more than I wanna pay but I think in the long run it will pay off with the adjustable arms and track bar

Current- 2011 Rubicon Unlimited
bigworm36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
thechrisdotcom
2008 JK Wrangler 

How does the basic kit compare to the advanced kit?

I'm looking into getting a lift hopefully soon in the next couple months, just don't want to spend a lot. Would only be for mild offroading and what not.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
4x4Cajun
2014 JK Wrangler 

Check the website to see all the differences. The biggest is no lower control arms for the basic kit. I only have 2 complaints for the kit. One is with the shocks. The bushing are not assembled and the top mount on the rears are a pain to install. I had to bring mine to a tire shop that could press them in. The other is the vague installation directions. There is a video on their website showing the kit being installed on Gears, watch that several times and take notes. As I stated before its super easy to install and rides great.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=JKKITS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisdotcom View Post
How does the basic kit compare to the advanced kit?

I'm looking into getting a lift hopefully soon in the next couple months, just don't want to spend a lot. Would only be for mild offroading and what not.
2014 JKU Rubicon X, Billet Silver, auto trans, leather, tow package, color matched top and fenders, 430N Nav and remote start. Plus all the stuff that comes with the X package Previous: 2011 Unlimited Sahara, Nav Auto, Rusty's 3.25 Lift Kit, Rug Ridge Bumper, 18 x 9" Pro Comp 7031, 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers, XRC8 Winch, 4.88s...
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
thechrisdotcom
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Cajun View Post
Check the website to see all the differences. The biggest is no lower control arms for the basic kit. I only have 2 complaints for the kit. One is with the shocks. The bushing are not assembled and the top mount on the rears are a pain to install. I had to bring mine to a tire shop that could press them in. The other is the vague installation directions. There is a video on their website showing the kit being installed on Gears, watch that several times and take notes. As I stated before its super easy to install and rides great.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=JKKITS

What is the purpose for adjustable parts? For someone who won't be wheeling anything extreme and just mess around here and there, the basic kit would be just fine wouldn't it?
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Adj control arms are used to reset the caster angle...at 3.25 in it is something you may find needed to prevent wandering in the front. There is a good article in the FAQ I think on "Why adjustable"...will look for it and post link here if I find it.

Here is the thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/e...table-1169473/
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
thechrisdotcom
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
Adj control arms are used to reset the caster angle...at 3.25 in it is something you may find needed to prevent wandering in the front. There is a good article in the FAQ I think on "Why adjustable"...will look for it and post link here if I find it.

Here is the thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/e...table-1169473/
I see...so bare with me here, I'm all new to this. So when you install the kit, how do you know it's all adjusted right? When you get the alignment done?

Thanks for the help.
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You would get an alignment after the lift and all parts are properly installed and torqued. The other related question would be what tires and rims will you run...they too can have an effect on suspension performance and adjustments needed.
At 3.25 inches of lift you are right at the point between needing additional parts to a lift other than just
springs and shocks in order to maintain a quality ride and proper handling. In other words, some people go the extra mile and get adj control arms, track bar brackets or better an adj track bar, brake line extension brackets or similar, etc...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
thechrisdotcom
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
You would get an alignment after the lift and all parts are properly installed and torqued. The other related question would be what tires and rims will you run...they too can have an effect on suspension performance and adjustments needed.
At 3.25 inches of lift you are right at the point between needing additional parts to a lift other than just
springs and shocks in order to maintain a quality ride and proper handling. In other words, some people go the extra mile and get adj control arms, track bar brackets or better an adj track bar, brake line extension brackets or similar, etc...
Well if I was to get the advance kit from Rusty's, it would come with the adjustable parts. I was just confused on who makes those adjustments. I'm assuming the alignment shop so it all lines up correctly.

I want to run a 35. My Jeep has a stock 18 on it but I don't want to keep stock wheels. I'll probably get ProComp 15s or 16s. with a 35" tire.
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
dsjk
2011 JK Wrangler 

I would suggest to look at the Rock Krawler suspensions.
dsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
RCS
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've been doing allot of research on lifts for the Jeep I have on order. Mine will be a daily driver so I am very interested in drivability. It has been said that the factory bushings are hard to beat when it comes to ride and durability. For this the AEV is the only kit I've found that keeps the factory control arms and bushings but still fixes the caster angel issue.
RCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 01:58 AM   #14
4x4Cajun
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisdotcom View Post
Well if I was to get the advance kit from Rusty's, it would come with the adjustable parts. I was just confused on who makes those adjustments. I'm assuming the alignment shop so it all lines up correctly.

I want to run a 35. My Jeep has a stock 18 on it but I don't want to keep stock wheels. I'll probably get ProComp 15s or 16s. with a 35" tire.
I would suggest finding a quality 4x4 shop to do the alignment. I had the front aligned at a local NTW, but they didn't adjust the rear. Once my 35s were installed you could really see the back end was off by about 1/2 an inch. I currently have my Jeep at the 4x4 shop now getting a re-gear done, so I am having them check all the specs with the new parts. Just curious, are you planning on installing the kit yourself? Or having a shop do it for you?

You should also consider going with 17s for rims. With the bigger tires you may want to upgrade your brakes later. Just a thought. Its one of the reasons I stayed with 18s on mine. But there is a big price difference in tires too.
Unread 07-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #15
thechrisdotcom
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Cajun View Post
I would suggest finding a quality 4x4 shop to do the alignment. I had the front aligned at a local NTW, but they didn't adjust the rear. Once my 35s were installed you could really see the back end was off by about 1/2 an inch. I currently have my Jeep at the 4x4 shop now getting a re-gear done, so I am having them check all the specs with the new parts. Just curious, are you planning on installing the kit yourself? Or having a shop do it for you?

You should also consider going with 17s for rims. With the bigger tires you may want to upgrade your brakes later. Just a thought. Its one of the reasons I stayed with 18s on mine. But there is a big price difference in tires too.
Well if I went with Rusty's, I'll have to probably do it myself. I've done suspension work before, mainly airbags and drop kits. So a lift kit can't be too much harder. Plus, if I'm not sure if a shop would install a kit that wasn't bought from them.

I'm not sure about wheels yet...I might either keep the stock ones and just have them painted black and do the 35/18 and use spacers. So maybe saving the money on wheels will go towards higher priced tires for 18in wheel.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.