Lift Kit Questions.. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Kit Questions..

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #31
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders82 View Post
So should you not wheel a stock JK Rubicon?
I didn't say that at all. I too my stock rubi out quite a bit and have a ton of video of it. But after my Rk lift it made a world of difference. Thats why I say, if you legitimately plan to wheel your rig, go with something quality from a lift stand point.

2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #32
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

A good quality lift kit has tons of advantages over a spacer boost. The spring rate can be adapted to the weight of your vehicle with your armor, the shocks will actually allow you to use the additional travel of the height. The suspension linkages will be adjustable, as will your steering allowing your axles to be placed correctly under the vehicle. It will ride WAY better on the road and off.

And to beat all most all of it will be easier to maintain, and some things on your current lift that you can't service and lube you can on complete aftermarket kits. This alone helps the longevity, and a properly maintained suspension will be deathwobble free for decades.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #33
janders82
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo

I didn't say that at all. I too my stock rubi out quite a bit and have a ton of video of it. But after my Rk lift it made a world of difference. Thats why I say, if you legitimately plan to wheel your rig, go with something quality from a lift stand point.
Completely agree
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
janders82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The only difference between a 2.5" spring lift and COMPLETE 2.5" BB is, one has springs, one has spacers. Flex is determined by shock length, not spring length and yes, too long shock and springs can pop out perches, but with the proper shocks that wouldn't be an issue.
The kits you are now discussing are not basic spring lifts either but 1-2k suspension systems and yes there is a huge difference between them and a basic 2.5" spring lift.
Lets not argue about apples and oranges.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #35
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Probably closer to 1k is what I've spent on suspension and lift related parts. You are right, it is apple's and oranges. But that's why its important to discuss. All I know is that without information and discussions like these, when I was getting my lift, things could have turned out much differently for me haha. That said, I personally am a fan of higher quality right off the bat. A bb would not be an option for me bc I wheel the thing pretty regularly and I feel better knowing I didn't take a less expensive and ultimately less capable route from a lift perspective. I did the same with my winch purchase. I went with a warn to know its always gonna work and be just as good or better than everything else out there.
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #36
agoodies

It will be a daily driver, with offroading on the weekends. That was my thing. I didn't want to just go up 1" on tires from stock, but we heard not to go with 35s, like we wanted to...? Our thing that we are having trouble with is the tires and lift. We want the rugged tires but we also drive to different states for vacation, couple times a year, so we wanted something that we could get that was beefy, yet that did great in the mud, sand, trails, snow, ice and yet wouldn't screw up the car while driving on freeway, and wasn't too loud. We looked at Nitto Grappler, Toyo, and the new Cooper ones...? Also I want a lift that is a complete set, but that wasn't too expensive, about a 2.5"-3.5" something we wouldn't have to regear or change things...?
agoodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #37
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

For what you are talking about something like the duratrac tires would be a better fit. I don't think a mud terrain like the grapplers are that great for a daily driver. How often do you go off road? Every week end or just a couple times a year. How often you go off road will factor in the tire choice.

You can do flat fenders and run 35's with a leveling kit but most will do a 2"-2.5". It is not a must that you re-gear but if performance is an issue then plan on one, get the tires and if you are happy then don't do it.
Unread 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #38
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Fill out your profile while you are at it.
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #39
agoodies

I drive it daily, take it offroading almost every weekend, and drive it on highway (to different states) couple times a year. I see a lot of people with Toyo tires and 2.5-3.5" Rock Krawler lifts... And usually 33s or 35s..
Unread 02-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #40
agoodies

And Wardo I know what you mean! I have been doing a lot of research these last 2wks and asking a lot of questions on here! This place has saved me and helped me so much!
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #41
agoodies

Which one is better (as in you get more items in kit, better price, and all around better) 2.5-3" Rock Krawler, Teraflex, BDS, OME, or AEV? What do their kits come with, and how much? (I'd look up prices, but not sure what kit exactly to go with since so many different ones, with or with out certain items etc)
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #42
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

They all do basically the same thing. Look at the joints they use and if the linkages they use are adjustable. I would stay away from kits that use drop pitman arms and cam bolts.

I would strongly suggest you stay at 2.5" or lower on the lift as most companies coils will give you more then advertised lift. but it is your rig do with it what you want. Different companies will use different type of rod ends so look at that.

for a 2.5" lift you want
Coils
Shocks or shock extension
extended sway bar links
extended brake lines or relocation brackets
Adjustable track bar up front and at least a raised axle side track bar bracket
if you are going to run 35" tires you will want 2.5" bump stop extensions.
as an option and for a better steering feel I would suggest adjustable front lower control arms.
I would suggest rear upper adjustable control arms for pinion adjustment.

For the best results a full set of 8 adjustable control arms is suggested as well as front and rear adjustable control arms.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #43
agoodies

I think we are wanting either 2.5" or 3" with 33s, but I think we are leaning towards 3". So still look for those same things?
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #44
agoodies

What's the difference between OME budget lift and regular lift for the 2.5"? I tried looking it up, but that's all I kept getting.
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #45
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Dont know, if you are looking at the ome lifts try northridge4x4.com they put together their coils and shocks with other quality components to complete the lift.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.