Lift kit question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift kit question

Road Race Motorsports Fuel Calibrator for the 2007-2011 JKIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

Lift kit question

Hello,
I have a 2011 Jeep jk sport. on stock Rubicon wheels and tires.
I want to put a 3.5in Lift on, and hopes in the future when money comes my way to put 35in tires on. I already have a tuner as well. my question is what all do i need.
the kit I'm looking into buying right now is the Skyjacker 3.5" Standard Lift Kit with M95 Performance Shocks and Lower Arms.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16117_1046.htm
but is that everything i will need? will i need upper control arms? or anything else?
for example skyjacker also makes this 3.5 inch value flex lift. and in the descriptions i cant really tell a difference but i see added bars in the picture. and it is about the same price only without the shocks.
all in all I'm trying to do about a 3.5 inch lift and trying not to spend to much money. I would greatly appreciate any help and advice.
Thanks
-Tim

08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
hxdrummerxc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Tim,

Can I ask why you want a 3.5" Lift? 3.5" lift and "trying not to spend to much money" really does not go together. Especially if your budgeting around $1100.00 for the lift. Most of the time, when you get the a 3.5" lift on a JK, you will be a least swapping out the drive shafts sooner or later if you wheel it. The stock drive shafts are not designed to run at that tall of a angle. So, right there your looking at $800ish.

If your looking to do a 35" tall tire, it would be much cheaper to stick to a 2.5" lift. It will be cheaper, you will still have plenty of room, and you wont have to worry about the drive shafts down the road.

Now, for the SkyJacker... I would stay away from that as well. For one, the arms are not adjustable. Does not allow you to dial in the suspension for your setup. Not to mention other things that I am sure others will chime in about.

If you have any questions or if there is anything we can do, please feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime.

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

To be honest i just wanted more lift, I have a aftermarket bumper and a winch and it really lowers the front. I was just figuring 3.5 would perform better and look cooler, but ya i don't want to have to change more down the line. because I'm already going to have to re gear when I add the bigger tires. can you suggest a lift kit for around 1000 that would be decent? one that will include everything that i will need. I drive the jeep on a regular basis. but on the weekends i also love to offroad and do some mudding. not really any rock crawling or anything that crazy though.
08' Limited 5.7L QTII | Hemi Club #76 | Saguaro Front Shackles | Blacked out front grille, Blacked out stock chrome wheels | Bwoody 4" Short Ram Velocity Intake | Flowmaster Super 44 & resonator delete | Superchips Vivid |
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

I like this Teraflex lift,
http://www.krawloff-road.com/product_p/tfjk25shocks.htm
but why would i need wheel spacers to run this lift with my rubicon tires? I'm not really understanding that. what i do like about it though, is it comes with the better shocks and seems to have everything i would need. is this a good or bad route to take?
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you're not getting out on the rocks, a 2.5" coil lift would work well for you. Just make sure you get one with the rear trackbar relocation bracket on the axle side.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

on that note I'm kinda leaning more towards the RK then.
Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" System
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16189_2001.htm
Its a lot cheaper, doesn't say i have to include wheel spacers. and seems like it will do the job.
should i also put some new shocks in? if so can anyone point me in a starting direction on brand/size?

and Thank you guys for helping me.
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxdrummerxc View Post
on that note I'm kinda leaning more towards the RK then.
Rock Krawler Stock Mod 2.5" System
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16189_2001.htm
Its a lot cheaper, doesn't say i have to include wheel spacers. and seems like it will do the job.
should i also put some new shocks in? if so can anyone point me in a starting direction on brand/size?

and Thank you guys for helping me.
I have the Bilstein 5100 on the jk with the RK Stock Mod, I personally think they are a little too stiff. The jk I drive has the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks which I'm a fan of. If you go that route you'd want the part numbers ending in 329 for the front and 330 for the rear...which are the part# for the 2.5"-4" lift.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like the Teraflex 2.5" with shocks. It's 730.99 on Quadratec--I'm sure you can find it cheaper. By the time you add shocks to the Rock Krawler kit, you're more than likely going to be more expensive than the Teraflex kit. The Rock Krawler also does not include bumpstops or brake line drop brackets and the rear trackbar bracket requires welding.
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

The Teraflex kit is nice too, you'd need to add a front track bar to it, and the coils aren't progressive like the RKs....but as pointed out it comes with bump stops and brake line extension brackets.
The lifts don't require wheel spacers, those are related to using the stock wheels with larger tires (the 35s you mentioned), because of back spacing.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

ya i don't really want to do any welding. I like the idea of the Teraflex one, it coming with the shocks and all. and that makes perfect sense about the spacers, i cant believe i didn't think of that lol. so I guess now it comes down to, does it need the front track bar that your talking about, and what exactly does that do? and what do you mean about the coils? I'm sorry for all the questions i just really don't want to overlook anything.
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Dude, don't be sorry....that's why we are here.
The track bar brings your front axle back into alignment (centers it), the rear is addressed by the included bracket...which also addresses a weak point with the stock bracket. When you install a lift kit it changes a lot of angles...the axles won't be centered, the angles of your driveline will change.
Read up on this
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...hread-1410631/
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't already know, quadratec gives us free shipping

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
hxdrummerxc
2008 WK 

so what I'm understanding here is it is needed, and although a front track bar bracket is cheaper and would work a front track bar would be a lot better and a adjustable one would be the best option.
right?
so how about this one? will it work?
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16189_2114.htm
its a little cheaper then the rest and it is adjustable and says for a 2-4 lift.

and now that i understand a little more about what i need, what is everyone's opinion? the terriflex that comes with the complete kit except the front track-bar. or the RK coil kit and buy the track bars front and rear separate as well as the shocks?
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #14
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

That track bar will work fine.
The RK coil lift comes with the front track bar and rear bracket. The rear bracket does need to be welded before offloading, but it's literally a 10 minute job at a local shop, just a couple spot welds
Unread 08-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'd go with a Metalcloak, JKS, Clayton, or Currie trackbar. Any suspension link with a poly bushing at one end should throw up a red flag. Do it right the first time so you don't have to spend money doing it twice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.