Lift Kit Comparison. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Kit Comparison.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 08-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
catchone
MOD or BUST!!!!

2007 JK Wrangler 

Lift Kit Comparison.

OK, so I read the Article in Petersen 4X4 magazine comparing 8 lift kits for the JK.
With some noteables missing (Rubicon Express, SkyJacker)

Overall Black Diamond looks like the best value from there ratings.

My Local shop says go Rubicon Express

If I am only going 3.5" with 35s do I need to look at the Long arm options?

This is my daily driver and I will not be a serious rock crawler but like the challenging trails.

I have the money, The significant others approval (hardest part)

I am looking for some guidance from my fellow bretheren to make the right decision. (I only want to do this once)

Thanks in advance for the advice.

catchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you're not going to be doing some serious rock climbing, I don't think you need the long arm suspension kit. Especially since it's going to be your daily driver.
JeepMan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree with JeepMan1975, you don't need the long arm kit unless your wanting to do some difficult offroading. Although, it is a nice system and looks pretty sweet, so if your looking at it that way, then it is impressive to have for show.

I personally have the Teraflex 4" system and I haven't been let down by them at all. They are local here so it's not a problem for me to go in and point anything out that is or may become a concern. Such as the rear track bar bracket that was interfering with the shock. They were already aware of the issue and had a prototype relocater bracket that they gave me which solved the issue. If I had to guess, that part would make it into there complete kit for any future systems sold.

The Teraflex system in the JK used for the Petersen 4x4 comparison is the 3" system which is what I orginally started with and I would agree with what they said about having some body roll. But since your looking to go 3.5", then the 4" system would be excellent for ya. And the body roll isn't at all a problem with the 4" system's springs. I figure they're probably stiffer but they are still quite pleasant for around town driving.

It also performs great on the trail. If there was anything that could make it better, it would be having adjustable shocks to go with it. So you could always buy the kit without shocks and then get different adjustable ones from somewhere else. Maybe like those new Rancho RS9000X .

Hope this helps ya.
scrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg
The Teraflex system in the JK used for the Petersen 4x4 comparison is the 3" system which is what I orginally started with and I would agree with what they said about having some body roll.
Hi Scrogg! How noticable (or bad) was the body roll on the 3" system? I was planning on installing this one when the JK arrives.

I have my TJ as a real hardcore offroad machine and plan on using the JK as my daily driver and was really looking forward to the 3" lift.

You think the 4" lift is better for on road driving and eliminating body roll? Anyone else with info can pitch in as well.

Thanks in advance!
JeepMan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMan1975
Hi Scrogg! How noticable (or bad) was the body roll on the 3" system? I was planning on installing this one when the JK arrives.

I have my TJ as a real hardcore offroad machine and plan on using the JK as my daily driver and was really looking forward to the 3" lift.

You think the 4" lift is better for on road driving and eliminating body roll? Anyone else with info can pitch in as well.

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't say it was excessive but it was noticable. The 4" lift has minimal body roll, I would say it's no worse now than it was with the stock suspension. It is stiffer than stock but not at all uncomfortably stiff.

When I had the 3" system I still had the stock control arms and track bars and it felt pretty wandery (is that a word?) as well as having noticable body roll. I really didn't like the feeling and Teraflex was very willing to work with me to to get it to feel more stable but somewhere in the conversation and test drives, it came up that the 3" lift wouldn't clear 37" tires.

So, I upgraded to the 4" lift so that I could get the 37" tires (still to come) under it. With that extra inch it was required to get the front track bar and control arms. The difference in the feel of the vehicle was amazing. The ride is alot smoother and I get great feedback in the driver's seat. It feels rock solid as far stability goes and having control of the vehicle vs. the other way around. And, it corners a heck of a lot better than I would have ever imagined and thats even with the stock 32" equivelant BFG MT KM's still on it, very responsive I must say. I've said this before, everytime I drive it I am more amazed at the the performance I get out of it. If I had to do it all over again, I would go straight to the 4" lift. Keep in mind that the cost also goes up due to needing the control arms and such.

Do I sound like a salesman yet? I have no other knowledge of any other kits but I'm sure some of them work great as well. Personally, I am extremely satisfied with the choice I made.

I would strongly suggest getting the control arms (upper and lower) with the 3" Teraflex lift if that is the way you choose to go.
Unread 08-15-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
catchone
MOD or BUST!!!!

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg
I would strongly suggest getting the control arms (upper and lower) with the 3" Teraflex lift if that is the way you choose to go.
Thanks for the input. I definatley will look at the TeraFlex.

I know you will add more with bigger tires but the final suspension lift hieght varies

I am limited on the amount of lift I can go before my garage becomes obsolete.

What was the actual finished hieght of the roof (hard or soft) Once you got it in?

__________________________________________________ _____________
2007 Flame Red Rubicon Unlimited
Approaching 5k and 0 issues
This is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned
Unread 08-15-2007, 01:58 AM   #7
snellav
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchone
I have the money, The significant others approval (hardest part)
If you have the money id go with the LA.
Unread 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
MichaelW

Quote:
OK, so I read the Article in Petersen 4X4 magazine comparing 8 lift kits for the JK.
With some noteables missing (Rubicon Express, SkyJacker)
Everyone was invited. Some however, for one reason or another elected to not show up. This in itself, to me, is a flag of caution.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I know you will add more with bigger tires but the final suspension lift hieght varies

What was the actual finished hieght of the roof (hard or soft) Once you got it in?
I'll get some measurements for ya. I still have the stock 32" tires so it'll give ya a good number to work with.
Unread 08-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #10
jeffmarion
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Everyone was invited. Some however, for one reason or another elected to not show up. This in itself, to me, is a flag of caution.
Michael,

care to shed a little more light on this. We already know it was not an apples to apples comparison, but would like to have seen the DR go up against the FT ultimate and the Nth kits.
jeffmarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
MichaelW

All vendors were invited to the lift showdown.

Some vendors elected to not participate.

These two above statements are true.

As to why a vendor elected not to participate I could not tell you. I know I talked with the guys at Nth and they too were torn between attending or not. Part of the reason for not attending would be because the results and criteria isn't as you stated exactly apples to apples. That and you are being judged somewhat arbitrarily and personal opinions is what you are paying for. And in reality the results of these comparisons should only be additional source of data and to actually make a buying decision based solely upon an magazine's opinion would IMHO be a potentially faulty conclusion.

However as I said to Nth, and I really doubt my comments carried much weight, is that if you don't show that too can look bad, potentially just as bad if the person reviewing your product doesn't like you deodorant or not.

So I would say that those that bellied up and submitted their product to a review and in a shoot out styled format at the risk of being singled out or selected as last place, to me says that the company has some belief in their product. Those that elected to not show have their own reasons for sure but I would not rule out a lack of trust in their own product as at least in part, some of the reason. Sure we are only speculating and I already know that the judging platform can be construed, biased or unfair but for a runner not to show up to the race tells me the runner was fairly certain they had no chance of winning or at least placing.

FWIW I think the true lift shoot out will come to light over time and by design or by accident, as those with similar vehicles with different lifts run the same trails and the long term results become more and more readily apparent.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
scrogg
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

I didn' thave the lid or doors on but I got some measurments to the fenders and sliders so you can measure yours and add the difference. I am curious as to what those numbers are as well since I never measured mine prior to installing the lift. So if ya can, please post what yours measures to the same points.

Thanks.

Here is the drivers side front:

Here is the drivers side rear:

Hope these help ya. And please let me know wht yours measures stock so that we can have actual height increase numbers.

Thanks.

(*edit)
DANG!!! Must need a few more days to get to that 30 day mark for posting pics.
Unread 08-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #13
luigi0523
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikVallens
If you have the money id go with the LA.
If it was a TJ I'd say LA for sure! The TJ's are much better on and off road with LA, but the JK's arms are much longer than a TJ's. The JK will work with a lift and stock arm lengths far better than any TJ shortarm suspension ever did. If you don't intend to do extreme rockcrawlin JK SA will do great.
luigi0523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #14
catchone
MOD or BUST!!!!

2007 JK Wrangler 

I finally go out to make the measurements.

All 4 wheel fenders were the same at 3' 3" to the top of the fender
My rock rails were a little different front 1' 8" rear 1' 9" to the top of the rail.

My tires and suspension are stock.

Your 4 inch lift raised the body 6 inches. Wow I am going to have to be careful.

I only have 9" to play with.

Thanks for the info it will really help in the decision.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.