Lift Kit Advice Needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lift Kit Advice Needed

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-13-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Ranger145
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lift Kit Advice Needed

I just bought a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara that I would like to put new wheels and a lift kit on. What are the differences between 3" and 4" lift kits? Are there any particular brands I should try?

Ranger145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

What size tires are you going to put on it? 3" of lift on the JK's is actually quite a lot. You can fit 35" tires with a 2.5" lift.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
xSoFx
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger145 View Post
I just bought a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara that I would like to put new wheels and a lift kit on. What are the differences between 3" and 4" lift kits? Are there any particular brands I should try?
I believe it's around 1" difference, may have to double check that though.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, 1 inch and a whole lotta dollars if the OP would do a search, it would help him a lot. IMO, do not lift higher than needed for tires/wheels unless you are building a mall crawler or big wheels...
Check out the FAQ section and you will find a lot of info there on lift vs tire size. Search is your friend on this forum as this topic has been discussed ad nauseam ...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Ranger145
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking to put 35" tires on and I want to know if I will work with a 3 inch lift or if I will have to go to a 4 inch. The research I've done on the forum sometimes conflicts on this issue so thats why I started a thread about my particular model. The other item I'm unsure about are what additional modifications I will need to make to my jeep with these lift kits. Will I have to get a converter for my drive shaft and lift for my transfer case as well?
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

You've got plenty of room for 35's with just a 2.5" Budget Boost or even a leveling kit and some trimming. No other mods needed.
More info needed, What kind of wheeling will you be doing? What's your budget? What kind of wrenching skills do you have?

Start here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...reads-1074059/
Then go here:http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...lex&cv=100,150
or here:http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/...uspension.html
and don't forget here! : http://www.krawloff-road.com/category_s/1840.htm

And always check here!: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php?f=96
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Ranger145
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just some mild trail stuff to get started but I would like to be able to do some more challenging terrain once I get some experience. This is my only vehicle as well so I will be doing some significant street driving. I don't want to spend more than 5,000 at the absolute max but the cheaper the better without putting some junk on my jeep. Also I have minimal mechanical skills.
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

My advice would be a 2.5" spring lift. The companies from the links, Teraflex, AEV, RockKrawler come pretty complete. You might find differences of opinion on which is better, but I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those. Plus, you can certainly add on as you go with any of those lifts.
Send Jason from KRAWLOFF-Road a pm. He'll steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #9
Rtone1583
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Just some mild trail stuff to get started but I would like to be able to do some more challenging terrain once I get some experience. This is my only vehicle as well so I will be doing some significant street driving. I don't want to spend more than 5,000 at the absolute max but the cheaper the better without putting some junk on my jeep. Also I have minimal mechanical skills.
Old Man Emu's 2 inch "heavy load" kit is one option. Runs about $800.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_02X4_PG.htm

Below is a picture of mine on the above kit with 33" tires (just to show how much clearance is provided between the tire and fender).

And a little flex action:

AEV's 2.5" Dual Sport is another option. Runs about $960.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/...nsion-2-5.html

Or their 3.5/4.5" Dual Sport. Runs $1,725. Generally a good quality 3" or bigger lift is going to start in the $1500 range and go up.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/...uspension.html

Below is a picture of mine as it sits now on the AEV 4.5" DS and 37" tires.

A 3" lift is right at the edge of needing to do other drive train modifications and 4" would push you over that edge.

It's hard to say which lift will require certain other modifications though because the actual amount of lift gained by any one system could be different than a system of similar height by a different manufacturer.

By the way, I have been happy with the trail and road manners of each of the kits I've used.
Rtone1583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #10
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm looking to put 35" tires on and I want to know if I will work with a 3 inch lift or if I will have to go to a 4 inch. The research I've done on the forum sometimes conflicts on this issue so thats why I started a thread about my particular model. The other item I'm unsure about are what additional modifications I will need to make to my jeep with these lift kits. Will I have to get a converter for my drive shaft and lift for my transfer case as well?
Your setup you want has been covered hundreds of times. 35's are a popular size with the JK's. So do a search and you can get all the info you need. There is some good stuff in this thread though.

As a general rule (and even what I encountered) for every inch you want to lift your jeep plan on about 1k in upgrades to get it done the correct way. Ive spent about 1.5K on my lift so far and its not where I want it yet. Im at 3" with the OME HD springs.

So my advice to you is do a crap ton of research and figure out what works best. That is what I did and I ended up not buying a kit and just bought all the parts separate. I saved a little money and got the starting setup I wanted.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
nhfd01

2013 JK Wrangler 

I just did a teraflex 2.5 coil lift with there shocks and 35's very happy I did add the teraflex adjustable front track bar love my setup. Nothing else needed for my jku 13 sport.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
nhfd01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandLow View Post
My advice would be a 2.5" spring lift. The companies from the links, Teraflex, AEV, RockKrawler come pretty complete. You might find differences of opinion on which is better, but I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those. Plus, you can certainly add on as you go with any of those lifts.
Send Jason from KRAWLOFF-Road a pm. He'll steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Awesome! Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, 3-4" lift on a JK for 35's is too much. Plus, you are going to start needing a lot more items to make it work right.

Feel free to PM, email, or call us at anytime. We can go over something and help narrow down some things for you. The last thing you want to do is jump in and order something, just to have to replace it down the road. It always cost more the second time around!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
chrispasqua
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have any comments on the rcd 4" lift kit with billstein shocks
chrispasqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You need to do quite a bit more homework before you jump in on this. To run 35s you don't need more than a 2" - 2.5" lift. There are a number of advantages to limiting lift on a JK to this range, not the least being the ability to retain the stock driveshafts. Althought I run a 4" Teraflex long arm suspension with 37s, I generally recommend AEV or OME for daily drivers that won't see more than 35s. I recently put an AEV 2.5" kit with drop brackets on a friends '10 JKUR and am totally impressed with the system. Right after I installed the lift she ran over to Goodyear, put on a set of 33" MTR/Ks and the next week went to Moab and ran Behind the Rocks with us. Never got hung up or had to bypass an obstacle, and that's a serious trail.

Study up, read the advertisements and the Forums and you'll get a better handle on what you need. Don't go too big, you'll regret it later.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
chrispasqua
2002 TJ Wrangler 

sny preferred lift kits I should take a look at or anyone have some knowlede on some lifts
chrispasqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.