lift /gas millage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > lift /gas millage

The Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 08-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
rockrider66
2013 JK Wrangler 

lift /gas millage

Does anyone know that how does the lifting of the jeep effect the gas millage & by how much ?

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

You're barking up the wrong tree if you're looking for a lifted jeep and concerned about mileage. There is no single answer.
Differences would depend on the engine, trans, axle ratios, lift height, tire size, etc etc etc. Too many variables.
I have a manual trans 2012 rubicon with 4.10 gears. Stock it got around 19mpg highway if driven easy. Now with a 3.5" lift, 35s, bumper, winch, heavy/taller top, I get around 17mpg in similar conditions. 16 in town normally. As low as 13mpg high in the winter if the roads are covered in water, it's windy and I'm driving 80mph.

So my guess is you'll lose somewhere between 1 and 8mpg. Useless right? The answer is it depends, and if you're concerned, don't lift it. Or don't get a jeep in the first place.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

I would say that lifting itself is negligible at best, however removing the front air dam has been noted to have an effect. More considerable is the addition of big tires and increased weight.

Frankly, IMHO, if people are concerned in any fashion about gas mileage and fuel economy, they shouldn't purchase a solid-axle, 4x4 vehicle. A proper decision-making tree would include: choosing form and function, overall cost of purchase, cost of operation and maintenance (including fuel), etc. before deciding to buy. But that's just me. And that's why I don't drive a Corolla.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Corolla? A SmartCar seems better for you.....
Agree, too many variables just in general about anything you do to modify your Jeep from factory will result in lower mpg IMO, just how much depends on all those other things (variables)...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

... smartass car... lol
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #6
Breitling
2013 JK Wrangler 

Any extra weight decreasing your mpg, lift is normally done to install larger and heavier tires and tons of other heavy cra. on your Jeep Wrangler is initially bad aerodynamically, lift is making it worse I believe.
But you are getting great look and improve your off road abilities, so think about what is better for you? I am not lifting ...
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
dyjk44
2008 JK Wrangler 

Went from 19-20 mpg highway to 16-17 mpg after adding 3" BDS lift and 35's. Didn't buy if for fuel economy, so it didn't matter to me.
dyjk44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
Scherer
2012 JK Wrangler 

3.5" AEV lift, 37" KM2s and I get 14-15 MPG around town.
Unread 08-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
xraypat23
2008 JK Wrangler 

I didn't buy or lift for economy. But my 2008 JKUR with a 2.5" rock krawler lift and 35's and 5.13's got 19mpg on a recent trip upstate, and 17 on the way down towing a 1500lb trailer. Gas mileage is directly proportionate to how hard you press on the skinny pedal. keep your cruise set at a respectable number(sub 70mph) and it'll do ok.
xraypat23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Tire pressure biggest variable for my 2dr JK. 35's/3" TF lift, tires at 38psi, I can get 19 in town, tires at 32, I get 15.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrider66 View Post
Does anyone know that how does the lifting of the jeep effect the gas millage & by how much ?
Lifting doesn't impact mileage in and of itself. The extra weight is usually negligible on most suspension kits, but wider/taller tires or aggressive treads with greater rolling resistence will adversely impact your mpgs.

I get about 15 mpg with 35s and 3.73 gearing [2008 JKU]. The newer generation engine 2012+ may yield a little better.
DangFoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #12
Yendor
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'd have to agree that the lift alone won't effect fuel economy. A jeep is about as aerodynamic as a dehumidifier. Kind of hard to make it much worse. But almost no one lifts without putting on big tires, and the tires are what probably kill your mileage.

Probably not applicable, but I lifted the front of my 11 Ram Hemi 2.5". (Stock tires) At the same time, I installed an AirRaid cai. I think I actually picked up about 3/4 of an mpg; which isn't much, but better than a loss. From Cullman Al to Jasper in, I got 20.7 mpg, hand calculated. Not bad for a vehicle rated at 19 mpg.

MPGs are the reason I'd want a diesel.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #13
hub0619
2010 JK Wrangler 

Ur gonna lose some mpg but ur gonna be happy you lifted if you do use it. It's alot more fun now with the lift
hub0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
rockrider66
2013 JK Wrangler 

Holly molly !!!! I just asked a general question & you guys brought me down to the "corolla level " . Looks like i touched a sensitive nerve .
I want to enjoy the perks of a lifted jeep but also was thinking of my daily commute . Was trying to get the best of the two worlds .
But I liked Hub0619's answer the best ......Thanks
FYI : My other car is Benz S500 ......an 8 cylinder monster ........i'm not the corolla type of a guy ;-)
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #15
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrider66
Holly molly !!!! I just asked a general question & you guys brought me down to the "corolla level " . Looks like i touched a sensitive nerve .
I want to enjoy the perks of a lifted jeep but also was thinking of my daily commute . Was trying to get the best of the two worlds .
But I liked Hub0619's answer the best ......Thanks
FYI : My other car is Benz S500 ......an 8 cylinder monster ........i'm not the corolla type of a guy ;-)
Sorry Bud, but this happens from time to time when lift and MPG appear in the same post.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.