Leveling/Lifting Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Leveling/Lifting Question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
ChefsSVX
2013 JK Wrangler 

Leveling/Lifting Question

Well I have read a bunch of threads about how people want to level their JK's and whatnot, but almost all of them are just stock or very minimal things done to them which makes it a bit difficult what to decide to do.

I do plan on doing a real lift but probably not for another year or so till I pay it off a bit more. I do use it quite hard sometimes so I think that the pucks wont do anything but give me trouble So I was thinking maybe a coil spring leveling/lift since I am sagging a lot in the front.

I have a Smittybilt XRC bumper with a Engo 10k winch and they are quite heavy. I have also upgraded my wheels and tires to a 4.5' bs and 33' tires, so I know I wont have to buy wheel spacers so I don't have any rubbing issues.

So what I really need to know is if I should just get the leveling springs now and I know I would also need a stiffer set of shocks as well, since I do plan to go to a 3' kit in the future, most likely a long arm kit as well. Or should I just deal with it for now and stick with the saggy front end.

Any insight is more then appreciated, thanks.

ChefsSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

when you go to more lift the shocks will be longer so the shocks on a leveling kit wont be the same as the ones for a full lift. 3" lift wont need long arms. A 3' foot lift would need? Just kidding

Long arms on 33"s(33' foot tires?) and a small lift will just get hung up and drag on everything.

The front you could just get a 1" puck and call it a day. like 30+$. or go like 2-1 or 1.5-.75 For now. Unless you plan to really wheel your new jeep. then it should be built for the terrain intended. main issue is the track bars as you go up things shift to the left. as well as you go up you start to lose caster=control arms. the less lift the less correction needed.
Unread 07-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

One thing to remember, you can't modify your jeep, NOW/one time and be set for life-

As time goes by, you get older/jeep gets older/family grows/wife changes hobbies--many things change, so forget trying to doitall NOW-

Make your move for the NOW time and see if you're happy withit for a period of time--then you can change/leaveit---whatever

Don't think about changes you're gonna make in a year+--that'll change-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
One thing to remember, you can't modify your jeep, NOW/one time and be set for life-

As time goes by, you get older/jeep gets older/family grows/wife changes hobbies--many things change, so forget trying to doitall NOW-

Make your move for the NOW time and see if you're happy withit for a period of time--then you can change/leaveit---whatever

Don't think about changes you're gonna make in a year+--that'll change-

Good luck

JIMBO
Agreed but You also don't want to buy things twice and double pay. Not everyone has unlimited budgets for jeeps. So maybe look at a kit that is expandable ? You will get height from pucks but no performance... Springs will still be compressed from the heavy load.
YATZI1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

any kit is expandable...
Unread 07-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The never ending story--

Quote:
Originally Posted by YATZI1980 View Post
Agreed but You also don't want to buy things twice and double pay. Not everyone has unlimited budgets for jeeps. So maybe look at a kit that is expandable ? You will get height from pucks but no performance... Springs will still be compressed from the heavy load.
Pucks are not detrimental to performance and springs compress, regardless of "PUCKDOM" the only thing jeopardized is EXTREME ARTICULATION and you won't have to worry about that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post
any kit is expandable...
Heh Heh, righton--

JIMBO
Unread 07-04-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

He said he has a heavy bumper and winch so his springs are more compressed. I just saying the pucks won't help with that.
Unread 07-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

ok, LETS RETHINK THAT NOW--

Quote:
He said he has a heavy bumper and winch so his springs are more compressed. I just saying the pucks won't help with that.
My front springs are compressed to 8", but I have 2.5" PUCKS on them so my front bumper is --2.5" higher than it was, because--

My PUCKS are Cad. plated steel--NO COMPRESS- they measured 2.5" in the box and they lift the front suspension---2.5" !

Now over a period of time, the springs will compress more, but they will with, or without PUCKS !

It's a jungle out there-

JIMBO
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #9
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
my first mod was a PSC mid brawler and a winch. A month later I added teraflex leveling kit. It definitely helped with that
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah obviously the pucks will give you height. But they aren't helping your springs any. You are still losing suspension performance. It's just an aesthetic fix. Me personally would rather change out the springs. Some people just love to argue even when there is no argument. I never said the pucks wouldn't give you height. What I'm saying is there is no real performance advantage with them in this situation.
Dude it's your jeep. Drive it enjoy it and build it how it will best suit you for what you need. I had the same problem. Ended up doing a 2.5" teraflex coil lift with Bilstein 5100s for $600 and I couldn't be happier with the ride improvement on and off road. I did add trackbars though and def recommend them. If you went that route you wouldn't be disappointed. Everyone says good things about the OME HD springs too.
Unread 07-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If your looking for cheap to get you buy until a more complete lift, Pick up a pair of 4 door "18" front coil springs and throw on it to help level it and hold the extra weight. You can get the rear to match, and have a 1"-2" coil lift for $100 or less + shocks. Get a pair of shocks that offer a little room to grow, and your one step closer to your 3" that you want.

Not all "lift" shocks need a lift (BUMP STOP). Not all "lift" shocks are longer. You really need to look at the collapsed length. For example, You can run a Bilstein 5100 for 2"-3" lift on stock bump stops. The stock shocks are about 14.5" and there is room for around a 15" shock. The Bilstein 5100 front (part # 24-146708) measure 14.98" collapsed and 24.63" extended and have 9.65" of travel. The Bilstein 5100 rear (part # 24-146715) measure 15.39" collapsed and 26.38" extended and have 10.99" of travel.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 11:42 AM   #12
rubicon17
2012 JK Wrangler 

What are some quality springs for just leveling the front for the added weight of a skid and winch? Ive though about 3/4" spacer but then its still going to have the rake.
Unread 07-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon17 View Post
What are some quality springs for just leveling the front for the added weight of a skid and winch? Ive though about 3/4" spacer but then its still going to have the rake.

Old Man Emu or Synergy 1" (1" 4 door/ 2" 2 door).
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

JKS ACOS adjustable from 1-4.5"
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.