Let's see your lights! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Let's see your lights!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #46
wiant
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
I just finished installing the last of mine. 150w long range KC's on the windshield mounted with KC mounts. 130w KC drivers and 55w hella 500's mounted in between the frame rails with a custom fabricated bar.

And as for the "lights are for losers" butt hurt guy....

THIS

Is about 100x's better than this...

ESPECIALLY when youre in the country, away from any city lights, and on a trail where you need to pick a line and judge your path long before you come up on an obstacle. Not all of us have street lights here. My "cosmetic only" lights have saved me a bumper or two from hitting free range cattle on the back roads where I live.

I have the 4 KC's wired together, and theyre on just about all the time while in the country or on the trail after dark. While on paved roads though, I use the hellas to supplement the low beams. They really come in handy while driving in mist/ rain.
Avian, take it easy man...your "lights are for losers butt hurt guy" comment is way off base. If you're bitter cause I offer my opinion you should take your insults else where. The difference in you lights looks incredible, but I gotta say that my stock lights illuminate as much of the road as your 6 aftermarket aux units.

SaharaBlackno1 and Oregonvette, thanks for you insight. Vette, i've never been to John Day and if you say they're needed I take your word for it. But you also say "ask the guys that run Dakar"...this is exactly what I'm talking about. Unless your running the Dakar rally in the middle of the desert, the need for aux lights is minimal.

That said, I like the fact that all of you mod your Jeeps the way you want...for regular use or cosmetic presence. I'm digging the scene, for sure, and i've only had my jeep for less than two months. I'm asking these questions cause I'm trying to figure out what the "thing" is. They don't offer the definition of a "its a jeep thing" when you take posession at the dealership.

I'm sure when I get out to Ouray for a serious ride this spring I'll start getting it.

Nice pic's for sure...i'm looking forward to getting into all of it.

wiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #47
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiant View Post
but I gotta say that my stock lights illuminate as much of the road as your 6 aftermarket aux units.

Umm...actually, no, they dont. I have a set of stock JK lights too. Theyre just fine for the street, but not so much for off road or long range projection.

Pictures on the internet are deceiving. But the difference seen in those photos are about the same in real life. (200ft projection compared to a 1/2 mile of useable projection).

Dont come on here and begin to insult us for what we do under the guise of "youre just doing it to look cool" and expect it to fly. If we didnt need those lights for what we do, we wouldnt have wasted our money on them.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #48
ge2
Gold Member

2007 JK Wrangler 

This thread turned weird. Sure aux lights are called 'aux' for a reason, right? Aux means extra. Extra of anything at all, is generally not 'needed'-- which is why it's 'extra'. Extra can help, certainly-- so arguing their usefulness is just plain second-grade silly
ge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #49
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
... I'm asking these questions cause I'm trying to figure out what the "thing" is. They don't offer the definition of a "its a jeep thing" when you take posession at the dealership.

I'm sure when I get out to Ouray for a serious ride this spring I'll start getting it.
Hey man, no sweat. It's all good. You simply might want to ditch the argumentative approach next time

Quote:

Anyone else want to argue against my comment that aux lights are cosmetic?

If you're wanting to learn or new, don't feed the bears.
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #50
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

x2

You may have entered the wrong site. This is www.jeepforum.com not www.jeepdebate.com.
We're actually not all here to argue.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #51
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Look wiant, Im not trying to be an *** (well.....maybe not a TOTAL *** ), but what I think is happening here is a result of a lack of experience.

Once you take your sahara somewhere where the only point of light being projected for miles is from your rig, and you have a cratered and cragged trail stretching as far as you can see (300 feet or so with the stock lights) you'll appreciate a good set of aux. lights.

And adding to the stock JK lights, Ive had some real problems with "outrunning" the light on the highway. But once the low beams were adjusted to my liking, the high beams were so far off, they were useless. Hence why I have 55w hellas.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Unread 01-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #52
wiant
2008 JK Wrangler 

Fair enough, guys. I didn't bring it up to argue (wrong choice of words in one of my comments). I brought it up to learn. Certainly my bad if it came across abrupt.

The wrangler is amazing. I took a drive from Silverton, CO to Denver on Sunday, the best part of which was Monarch Pass which was covered with snow. I've never felt more sure footed on the road.

You're right, once I get a trip or two on the trail in the dark I'll have true appreciation for the light needed (and maybe frustration with the stock I've got). I'll likely be back on here figuring out the best way to mount and wire...
wiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #53
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

country roads at night, that's the best reason. or amber lights to help visibility in really crappy weather. speaking of which, i think i'm going to try and find some amber bulbs for my fogs. i'm thinking two long range driving lights on windshield mounts, and two wider angle, medium distance lights (right where the factory high beams are) should be enough for me.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #54
stllost
2009 JK Wrangler 

Have to say the 2 sets of kc's on my jeep have paid for themselves. The mountain passes in this area have enough wild life that that little extra is just enough to keep the elk out of the grill.
Unread 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #55
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

i ran over an elk once, in my neon. i wasn't the first to do so, but i still went over it.

Unread 01-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #56
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Fair enough, guys. I didn't bring it up to argue (wrong choice of words in one of my comments). I brought it up to learn. Certainly my bad if it came across abrupt.

The wrangler is amazing. I took a drive from Silverton, CO to Denver on Sunday, the best part of which was Monarch Pass which was covered with snow. I've never felt more sure footed on the road.

You're right, once I get a trip or two on the trail in the dark I'll have true appreciation for the light needed (and maybe frustration with the stock I've got). I'll likely be back on here figuring out the best way to mount and wire...
I could show you how I mounted the lights on my "bumper" (easy do do if you have basic metal working tools), but by far the easiest way to do it it via a windshield mount. No drilling, no cutting (if you use the KC harness system), just plug in and play. Just be sure you get "long range" or "pencil" beam lights for there. Thats why I moved my driving lights from the windshield to my bumper. Great amount of light being generated, but the beam pattern was just too wide (beam would dissipate at about 300ft).

You know what, here (yes, more pictures )

Here is a shot before I moved my 130w KC driving lights from my windshield to my bumper. The yellow sign in the center of the screen (a road ends sign) is about a 1/4 mile away. (the two bright spots in front of the jeep are my hellas, ignore them)

This is a shot of my 150w long range lights put in their place. The line of brush is about a 1/4 mile away, and the tree line beyond it (clearly illuminated to the eye) is 3/4 of a mile away. (again, the two bright spots in front are my hellas)

Put them all together, and you get this. A day-like flood of light covering the road from directly in front of the vehicle, out to a 1/2 mile, with some light being reflected back from trees at even farther away.

Seeing pictures of light on pavement is deceptive. The pavement reflects better than dirt or trees, so when photographed everything other than the road looks dim. But trust me, in that last pic, everything was lit up like day.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Unread 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #57
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Crap, don't stop now. I was having fun.
Unread 01-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #58
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

i want to see ge2's output pix. fantastic, by the way.

Unread 01-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #59
NYmud
2000 TJ Wrangler 

fog lights

how do i put images here and how can i post new threads. i need help. someone please tell me. thnx.http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/thumbdown.gif
Unread 02-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #60
LJdriver
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hi i was thinking about getting windshield lights for my LJ. do you like yours?
LJdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.