LEDs on with switch AND/OR with highbeam - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > LEDs on with switch AND/OR with highbeam

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

LEDs on with switch AND/OR with highbeam

I'm trying to get my LEDs to light up (im)properly.

If I wire it into the highbeams, it comes on if the toggle switch is on, and it stays off if the switch is off when I use the highbeams.

I want it to come on with the highbeams AND I want it to come on with the switch, regardless if the headlights are on or not.

I am trying to do the same for the LED bar in the back with the back-up lights. I want it on whenever I shift into reverse AND I want it to come on whenever I hit the toggle, even when I'm not in reverse.

The switch, wired according to the constructions, seems to only kill the lights when wired to the highbeams or back-up lights.

What am I overlooking?

Dan

Unread 09-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

You need different switches. Double pole single throw (dpst) switches. They would typically be labeled "ON-OFF-ON"
Basically this switch would accept power from two different sources. Wire one that is always hot (or ignition switched) and the other source is your switched source (back up or high beam). The power goes out from the switch, to the relay, to the LEDs.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Be sure that when connecting off factory wiring that you use relays as Brian has mentioned. All power in your Jeep is controlled by the computer and will sense the extra draw from a circuit and possibly throw a code. A relay does not draw enough to cause an issue..
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Also be careful how you wire your choices, it sounds as if you wire the second switch to turn the lights on without the headlights on, you may provide a path for juice to feed your headlights when you turn on the aux lights. Relays are only way to go.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
rainmn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't think you need a new switch, just a change in the wiring and couple of diodes.

Wire the LED lights to a relay.

Wire a +12v trigger from both the high beams (or reverse lights) and from the switch to the same pole on the relay

You'll need to use diodes on these two leads to prevent the +12v output from the switch from backfeeding into the high beam circuit and vice versa.

With it wired this way, the high beams should turn on the lights regardless of the switch position. The switch will also turn on the lights, regardless of whether or not the high beams are on.
rainmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I did this with my LJ. I have a three position switch. Up is on and off with high beams, middle is off, down is on. You need to have two 87a relays. first one sends power to the fogs/driving lights and is controlled by the always on side of the switch. 2nd one is controlled by the operate with high beam side of the switch. If high beams are on it sends a signal to the 87A side of the first relay telling it to send power to the fogs.
jeeplights-3.jpg  

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
GreenRenegade
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for your help. This will give me something to start with.

Dan
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

The simple way (as I now have to control high/low on my daystars):
If you wire the leds to to the normally closed lug of a dp relay - you can then fire the relay with the fog lamp wire. The leds will then be ON anytime the switch is powered and fogs are NOT (the fogs go off when you select high beams).

I am now going to modify with a three position - although more complex - more function. Thanks beast.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.