LED lighting - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > LED lighting

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 11-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #31
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!
 
Psycho-X-Jeep's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmobull View Post
Well I finally installed the Olympus LEDs. Very bright but cause terrible radio static. I grounded them to the frame and the battery itself and no change. Any suggestions?
Are they hooked up to a separate relay and switch? Or do you have them tied into any factory components? Stock stereo system??

__________________
Call me Eddo
09 JKUR - Daily Driver... Prob not for long!
06 Nissan Xterra... Too many mods to list
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #32
Cosmobull
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho-X-Jeep

Are they hooked up to a separate relay and switch? Or do you have them tied into any factory components? Stock stereo system??
They are hooked up with new wiring/ relay. Power is directly off the battery. The stereo is all stock.
Cosmobull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #33
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
Sounds like a ****ty controller unit
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #34
Cosmobull
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6
Sounds like a ****ty controller unit
Controller unit? I'm guessing that's the circuit board? Awesome.
Cosmobull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #35
houndman72
Member
 
houndman72's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 349
What type of jeep you got and year? Stock stereo or aftermarket? Amplified or not?
__________________
Rock krawler Stock Mod 2.5, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Mamba M5 18" rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires, Body Armor Front bumper w/winch and LOTS of LED lights all over the place for blinding oncomers! LOL
houndman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #36
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmobull View Post
Controller unit? I'm guessing that's the circuit board? Awesome.
a LED array has a controller unit, its made up of a couple of different parts but the main component is the Driver. the driver is essentially a CPU that is monitoring the input voltage, output voltage, temperature, cyclic action etc. on low end LED's they have less thermal management capabilities and generally the controller units are in varying levels of quality

to provide an example:

say a light pod is using a 10 watt LED. the LED requires less than 150 degrees F to operate at its rated 100% output. if the temperature exceeds the thermal threshold the driver starts speeding the cyclic rate. basically it shuts the LED off and turns it back on very quickly. The action is so fast its not possible for our eyes to see. what we see is progressive dimming of the light, because its spending more and more time in the off mode.

SO

if you have poor thermal management and possibly a faulty driver, its going to be working and doing weird stuff and causing a resonance feedback due to voltage and EM radiation.

people dont understand that with LED's you get what you pay for. something may work, but you lose a lot of important stuff when you cheap out.

premium LED's are premium for a reason. thermal paste, copper heatsinks, thermally conductive powder coat etc
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #37
Cosmobull
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by houndman72
What type of jeep you got and year? Stock stereo or aftermarket? Amplified or not?
It's a 2013 JKUR with alpine system with sub, all stock.
And to reply to Spyder- I contacted Olympus about the issue. These lights might not be high end but for the price they shouldn't be low end either. We shall see how good Olympus' customer service is. I also found out that the wiring and switch were supposed to come with the lights, I already wired them up with my own hardware so I'm just out my cost. Maybe I just have bad luck.
Cosmobull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #38
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!
 
Psycho-X-Jeep's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
a LED array has a controller unit, its made up of a couple of different parts but the main component is the Driver. the driver is essentially a CPU that is monitoring the input voltage, output voltage, temperature, cyclic action etc. on low end LED's they have less thermal management capabilities and generally the controller units are in varying levels of quality

to provide an example:

say a light pod is using a 10 watt LED. the LED requires less than 150 degrees F to operate at its rated 100% output. if the temperature exceeds the thermal threshold the driver starts speeding the cyclic rate. basically it shuts the LED off and turns it back on very quickly. The action is so fast its not possible for our eyes to see. what we see is progressive dimming of the light, because its spending more and more time in the off mode.

SO

if you have poor thermal management and possibly a faulty driver, its going to be working and doing weird stuff and causing a resonance feedback due to voltage and EM radiation.

people dont understand that with LED's you get what you pay for. something may work, but you lose a lot of important stuff when you cheap out.

premium LED's are premium for a reason. thermal paste, copper heatsinks, thermally conductive powder coat etc
__________________
Call me Eddo
09 JKUR - Daily Driver... Prob not for long!
06 Nissan Xterra... Too many mods to list
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #39
houndman72
Member
 
houndman72's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 349
Now see, I have a pair of Olympus Pod lights also. ZERO problems, where as before I use to have an over-priced pair of RIGID ones and when I turned those on, my radio FM had issues and my CB went wild. Changed to the Olympus and have had ZERO issues. I'm an electrician by trade and know automotive electronics very well so I do know that my wiring was perfect, and these SO CALLED high end RIGID lights, which are not US MADE by the way, caused me plenty of issues when in use. Actually had 2 sets of them, D2 and drivers, both caused issues. Have the Olympus pods now, nada. Great output, awesome performance and when they work PERFECTLY, that is FAR form cheaping out. So to say I got what I paid for, RIGID lights can go down the toilet along with their prices, just my opinion...
__________________
Rock krawler Stock Mod 2.5, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Mamba M5 18" rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires, Body Armor Front bumper w/winch and LOTS of LED lights all over the place for blinding oncomers! LOL
houndman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #40
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?
 
Tanimal's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bartlett, IL
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
a LED array has a controller unit, its made up of a couple of different parts but the main component is the Driver. the driver is essentially a CPU that is monitoring the input voltage, output voltage, temperature, cyclic action etc. on low end LED's they have less thermal management capabilities and generally the controller units are in varying levels of quality

to provide an example:

say a light pod is using a 10 watt LED. the LED requires less than 150 degrees F to operate at its rated 100% output. if the temperature exceeds the thermal threshold the driver starts speeding the cyclic rate. basically it shuts the LED off and turns it back on very quickly. The action is so fast its not possible for our eyes to see. what we see is progressive dimming of the light, because its spending more and more time in the off mode.

SO

if you have poor thermal management and possibly a faulty driver, its going to be working and doing weird stuff and causing a resonance feedback due to voltage and EM radiation.

people dont understand that with LED's you get what you pay for. something may work, but you lose a lot of important stuff when you cheap out.

premium LED's are premium for a reason. thermal paste, copper heatsinks, thermally conductive powder coat etc
Good information right here. Now time to try to get rid of my radio static!
__________________
-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY JK BUILD THREAD-=-

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #41
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by houndman72
Now see, I have a pair of Olympus Pod lights also. ZERO problems, where as before I use to have an over-priced pair of RIGID ones and when I turned those on, my radio FM had issues and my CB went wild. Changed to the Olympus and have had ZERO issues. I'm an electrician by trade and know automotive electronics very well so I do know that my wiring was perfect, and these SO CALLED high end RIGID lights, which are not US MADE by the way, caused me plenty of issues when in use. Actually had 2 sets of them, D2 and drivers, both caused issues. Have the Olympus pods now, nada. Great output, awesome performance and when they work PERFECTLY, that is FAR form cheaping out. So to say I got what I paid for, RIGID lights can go down the toilet along with their prices, just my opinion...
If you didn't have made in USA RIGIDs they were forgeries. Every rigid pod is made in the US with US sourced circuitry and US produced CREE LEDs.

That said, they arnt over priced, none of the high end optics are overpriced. If you want to see expensive you should look at Baja Designs and vision Xs Optimus series - both make rigid look like child's play.
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #42
houndman72
Member
 
houndman72's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 349
I take it you must be a rigid fan or a dealer, and not going to argue with you on rigid, but as for manufacturing, I'd suggest doing a bit of contacting them about your statement, cause a majority of their products are not made in the USA. Assembled and boxed are not the same as manufactured. I use to sell Rigid at a shop I still work at, and this I know for a fact and have the actual proof in which made my rigid REP very upset that we found this out. I'm not knocking that company just stating facts I have.

We all have our opinion and are free to share that here. Overpriced, YES. So they hold patents on optical lens, big deal. HAHA. If my customers want them, go spend that cash there with them, free to do so. I'd prefer to spend my money wisely and offer customers the same choices as how to spend their cash. As for the other companies you mentioned, I'd never own that WAY overpriced stuff. Seen it all and will stay with what I have, best bang for the buck, and that is based off of what 80-90% of the time we never use the stuff we buy anyways for our rigs? But when I do need and use them, they always have worked.

Just my 2 cents and not trying to argue, and for those whom have mailed me direct with rude comments, this is a forum and everyone is in-titled to their opinion, so get a life if you wanna argue over lights. Lets worry about this country, shall we??? God Bless America and thank you to all the Veteran's.
__________________
Rock krawler Stock Mod 2.5, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Mamba M5 18" rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires, Body Armor Front bumper w/winch and LOTS of LED lights all over the place for blinding oncomers! LOL
houndman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #43
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by houndman72
I take it you must be a rigid fan or a dealer, and not going to argue with you on rigid, but as for manufacturing, I'd suggest doing a bit of contacting them about your statement, cause a majority of their products are not made in the USA. Assembled and boxed are not the same as manufactured. I use to sell Rigid at a shop I still work at, and this I know for a fact and have the actual proof in which made my rigid REP very upset that we found this out. I'm not knocking that company just stating facts I have. We all have our opinion and are free to share that here. Overpriced, YES. So they hold patents on optical lens, big deal. HAHA. If my customers want them, go spend that cash there with them, free to do so. I'd prefer to spend my money wisely and offer customers the same choices as how to spend their cash. As for the other companies you mentioned, I'd never own that WAY overpriced stuff. Seen it all and will stay with what I have, best bang for the buck, and that is based off of what 80-90% of the time we never use the stuff we buy anyways for our rigs? But when I do need and use them, they always have worked. Just my 2 cents and not trying to argue, and for those whom have mailed me direct with rude comments, this is a forum and everyone is in-titled to their opinion, so get a life if you wanna argue over lights. Lets worry about this country, shall we??? God Bless America and thank you to all the Veteran's.
Their castings, LEDs and driver boards are all made in the states, and they're assembled in the states. Saying that because they have a foreign component on the inside of them doesn't make them any less made in USA than my Jeep is, with its German transmission, Mexican transfer cases and Japanese paint. It's still majority American sourced components and produced in an American factory.

I like rigid stuff, I run it - but if I could afford Baja Designs I would. But you're clearly balls deep in Olympus stuff, and that's fine - but don't be a hypocrite when you're making an argument against someone.

You're completely right that most people don't need the benefits of the high end optics, and that's fine - but you pay a premium for high performance percentages, that's how high performance stuff works. And if you'd place a Baja designs ONx bar next to an Olympus you'd see why you pay that much more money for it.

Low and high end manufacturers may use the same or similar LEDs, but their similarities end when you start comparing thermal management, driver units and optics.

It's like arguing why you need a metal cloak or currie suspension instead of a procomp.
__________________
2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #44
Cameleer
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ventura, California
Posts: 872
I love the light these Baja Designs OnX 51" light bars put out.
I've been to a number of offroad events and was able to compare these lights to others, these are by far the best.
They also have high power, low power and strobe with just a push of a button.





__________________
Only those who will risk going too far
can possibly find out how far one can go.
Cameleer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #45
houndman72
Member
 
houndman72's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hobart, Indiana
Posts: 349
I like your setup, looks clean and mean!

As for me, I'd never spend that type of money on those lights, but hey, it's your jeep and build, and your money, so enjoy them! And to be called a Hypocrite, really? this is a discussion forum, not a name calling place, but a place to share each others opinions and ideas and builds. We all are entitled to buy what WE want to buy and NOT to buy. It's not always the more you pay the better you get, FAR FROM THAT... And once again, the hate messages in my inbox are very childish. Don't like what I say, Don't read it. GROW UP...
__________________
Rock krawler Stock Mod 2.5, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Mamba M5 18" rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires, Body Armor Front bumper w/winch and LOTS of LED lights all over the place for blinding oncomers! LOL
houndman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.