LED lighting - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 66 Old 08-26-2013, 06:40 PM
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit
 
spyder6's Avatar
2010  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 12,037
My other suggestion would be to mount a pod style light in the wheel well in such a way that it illuminates infront/behind the tire with intensity and then supplement with lower output lights in other areas that don't require as much light.

For example, mount a dually from the forward side of the shock tower aimed 1 foot infront of the tire path. If you were to used the diffused lens you could achieve all the navigational points you need, with an output strong enough for you to use from the drivers seat.


2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 66 Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 AM
David_M
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 447
Originally that was my plan as well. Another JK in club did something very similar to what you described with a pod style LED in mounted in the fender well. The problem he faced was that when the tire is stuffed to full bump, it blocked the lions share of the light. I guess that could be supplemented with others but kinda defeats the purpose IMO. The best set ups I've seen have 8 lights. One in front and one behind each wheel. They really don't need to be that bright if properly located.
David_M is offline  
post #18 of 66 Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 AM
AppleDevKevinG
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 127
.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Commando Green
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Impact Orange
"Well thats an interesting sound"
AppleDevKevinG is offline  
post #19 of 66 Old 09-03-2013, 01:33 PM
AppleDevKevinG
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 127
I have a 17" pro series light bar from Olympus Offroad and I could not be happier with it! It makes driving at night an absolute blast! I actually look forward to driving at night just so I can use my light bar! lol Olympus Offroad has great customer service and even better products! Shoot them an email, you will not be disappointed!

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Commando Green
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Impact Orange
"Well thats an interesting sound"
AppleDevKevinG is offline  
post #20 of 66 Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Cosmobull
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDevKevinG
I have a 17" pro series light bar from Olympus Offroad and I could not be happier with it! It makes driving at night an absolute blast! I actually look forward to driving at night just so I can use my light bar! lol Olympus Offroad has great customer service and even better products! Shoot them an email, you will not be disappointed!
Not sure about Olympus Offroad. Bought a pair of Dually look a likes for $136 shipped, they came direct from China and they look like ones on EBay for about half what I paid. These didn't even come with a wire harness or switch so by the time it's all said and done I will only save about $30 over the Duallys.
Cosmobull is offline  
post #21 of 66 Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 AM
AppleDevKevinG
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmobull View Post
Not sure about Olympus Offroad. Bought a pair of Dually look a likes for $136 shipped, they came direct from China and they look like ones on EBay for about half what I paid. These didn't even come with a wire harness or switch so by the time it's all said and done I will only save about $30 over the Duallys.
Olympus Offroad is probably one of the better companies to work with (and my personal favorite) they have a lifetime warranty on their lights and if you do a search on them and find anything about a faulty light or anything, you see that is has taken care of right away and everybody is happy with them. I had an issue with one of the Axle shafts I ordered, Olympus corrected the issue within an hour of my receiving the shaft. I have yet to find another company that cares about it's customers as much as Olympus. They do a lot of business all over the place. They also own their own facilities and have employees overseas. They are in the process of moving and building a large shop in the South Denver area and will go back to shipping more locally once it is done. As far as the wiring, they have harnesses listed with all their light for $10. If you bought the dually style lights then you also got 8 covers and a set of rock lights with them, that's a deal if you ask me. Rigid is great but would have been about $90 more than Olympus after shipping, and they don't include lens covers or rock lights. Olympus stands behind thir stuff and will take care of you. I know they have a brand new style light bar they just released called the "flat line". I saw some pictures and a it is an amazing light for how small it is. Yes they build their lights overseas… but come on… who doesn’t… Blackbox Seward Phish… they are all resellers.. They don’t actually build their lights or have invested interest in the facility making them. Olympus Does and backs them 100%... You really think they could back them with a lifetime warranty if they didn’t? Olympus continues to develop more products and partner with more companies (ex. Liquid image). Just yesterday I installed one of their neon green winch lines, I love it! I have not had any issues with any of their products and will be ordering a 50" bar this week.

-Kevin

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Commando Green
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Impact Orange
"Well thats an interesting sound"
AppleDevKevinG is offline  
post #22 of 66 Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 AM
jkmax
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fresno
Posts: 286
Check out BMF led lighting
jkmax is offline  
post #23 of 66 Old 11-05-2013, 11:01 AM
AppleDevKevinG
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmax View Post
Check out BMF led lighting
I just went to their site, the first thing I noticed how high their prices are. A 50" bar from them is $800, I could get the same bar from Olympus for $525 and it has Olympus' lifetime warranty.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Commando Green
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Impact Orange
"Well thats an interesting sound"
AppleDevKevinG is offline  
post #24 of 66 Old 11-05-2013, 06:59 PM
houndman72
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hobart
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDevKevinG View Post
I just went to their site, the first thing I noticed how high their prices are. A 50" bar from them is $800, I could get the same bar from Olympus for $525 and it has Olympus' lifetime warranty.

I seen the BMF site, and I'm not sure what to make of it. No specs at all of the lights or products they are selling, they say it's a sale and most of those prices are very high to me. Nothing about a warranty, or really anything. I'm not knocking any company at all here.

Now turning over to Olympus Offroad, I have made several purchases thru them, and will continue to. Their site is very informative, explains the rating and lumen numbers, voltage ratings and needs. Great pictures and awesome selection of many types/styles of lights to fit every need or of fun offroading adventures! The lifetime warranty is a great seller to me and I cannot be more than pleased with what lights I have bought from them. Had the RIGID stuff, will never again. These lights from Olympus are brighter and do I even mention the price difference??? OMG HUGE... Can practically get 2 for the price of 1. Now come on, that's called extra dollars in my pocket to buy all the other things I plan to have on my jeep.

Not trying to warrant any heated discussion here or argument, but giving my honest opinion from what I see and have actually dealt with, and I have dealt with many of different companies. Simply said, I will return to Olympus Offroad for all of my jeeps build needs. Customer service is outstanding and bang for the buck on the products and warranty, I don't see anyone even coming close to matching that.

Rock krawler Stock Mod 2.5, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Mamba M5 18" rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires, Body Armor Front bumper w/winch and LOTS of LED lights all over the place for blinding oncomers! LOL
houndman72 is offline  
post #25 of 66 Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Tanimal
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bartlett
Posts: 1,449
Going to have to chime in and say Olympus is top notch. I run their pillar lights and love them.
Tanimal is offline  
post #26 of 66 Old 11-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Cosmobull
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDevKevinG

Olympus Offroad is probably one of the better companies to work with (and my personal favorite) they have a lifetime warranty on their lights and if you do a search on them and find anything about a faulty light or anything, you see that is has taken care of right away and everybody is happy with them. I had an issue with one of the Axle shafts I ordered, Olympus corrected the issue within an hour of my receiving the shaft. I have yet to find another company that cares about it's customers as much as Olympus. They do a lot of business all over the place. They also own their own facilities and have employees overseas. They are in the process of moving and building a large shop in the South Denver area and will go back to shipping more locally once it is done. As far as the wiring, they have harnesses listed with all their light for $10. If you bought the dually style lights then you also got 8 covers and a set of rock lights with them, that's a deal if you ask me. Rigid is great but would have been about $90 more than Olympus after shipping, and they don't include lens covers or rock lights. Olympus stands behind thir stuff and will take care of you. I know they have a brand new style light bar they just released called the "flat line". I saw some pictures and a it is an amazing light for how small it is. Yes they build their lights overseas… but come on… who doesn’t… Blackbox Seward Phish… they are all resellers.. They don’t actually build their lights or have invested interest in the facility making them. Olympus Does and backs them 100%... You really think they could back them with a lifetime warranty if they didn’t? Olympus continues to develop more products and partner with more companies (ex. Liquid image). Just yesterday I installed one of their neon green winch lines, I love it! I have not had any issues with any of their products and will be ordering a 50" bar this week.

-Kevin
Goodness man, it was just my opinion. You didn't have to go into detail about Olympus's inner workings, I get it, you like them. I just didn't like the fact that I ordered a product from Aroura Co. and then I get a package straight from China that has an invoice in it that says the lights were $45 USD. Which I am assuming is what Olympus pays for them but as a consumer I really don't want to know that the product I just bought has a 100% mark-up. That being said I never said I didn't like the product I haven't even wired them up yet since I don't have the wire harness.
Cosmobull is offline  
post #27 of 66 Old 11-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Psycho-X-Jeep
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 384
The following is my opinion... I am in no way, shape or form affiliated with this company... but they sure do make a damn fine product!

Vison X has a pricepoint for pretty much every consumer. Very high end stuff... but also "base models" that dont cost an arm and a leg.
To compare models go to www.visionxusa.com/LED (pretty detailed explanation between the different models, outputs, etc.)
When ready to purchase go to www.visionxwholesale.com . They can even offer prices lower than what their website shows, and if you find a lower advertised price anywhere else, they beat it by 10%!! Just make sure you talk to a representative via instant messenger (it pops up automatically as soon as you access the websight), or give them a call and talk to them about your needs). I believe all of their lightbars come with all the necessary wiring harnesses, switches, relays, etc.

Call me Eddo
09 JKUR
13 WK2 Trailhawk
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline  
post #28 of 66 Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM
mda0303
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 71
I heard good things about 'Truckaddons.com' Engo light bars

I'd like to compare those to the Olympus'
mda0303 is offline  
post #29 of 66 Old 11-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Carlos14
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Graham
Posts: 4,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmobull View Post
Goodness man, it was just my opinion. You didn't have to go into detail about Olympus's inner workings, I get it, you like them. I just didn't like the fact that I ordered a product from Aroura Co. and then I get a package straight from China that has an invoice in it that says the lights were $45 USD. Which I am assuming is what Olympus pays for them but as a consumer I really don't want to know that the product I just bought has a 100% mark-up. That being said I never said I didn't like the product I haven't even wired them up yet since I don't have the wire harness.
your product was priced lower than what you paid to keep you from having to pay customs a fee for passage. A lot of companies over seas will down price any import in order to keep you from having to pay a duty fee. I know this because I import parts quite often. It's irrelevant to this topic however so carry on.

Luck Favours The Prepared
Carlos14 is offline  
post #30 of 66 Old 11-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Cosmobull
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 127
Well I finally installed the Olympus LEDs. Very bright but cause terrible radio static. I grounded them to the frame and the battery itself and no change. Any suggestions?
Cosmobull is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome