LED lighting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > LED lighting

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Cmp8254
2012 JK Wrangler 

LED lighting

I am looking to buy a 10" LED light bar to mount to the front of my JKU, in between two 5" KC Apollo Pros. Anyone have suggestions not the best brand and the best value? I see several brands; Wurton, KC, Rigid Industries ( E series and SR Series), and others...Help!,

Cmp8254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Olympus Offroad probably has the best value !

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

We offer and run the Rigid's. They are super bright but not the cheapest out there...

We did just pickup these from Black Box Logistics:
http://www.krawloff-road.com/product_p/bbl-srx1030.htm

http://www.krawloff-road.com/product_p/bbl-drx3072.htm

We also just picked up Wurx's new line of LED lights along with Lifetime LED's. There is many great options out there. Let us know if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do to help!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
MrZ71
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have their 50" bar and 2 pods on my truck I like them there very bright good price for the amount of true use that I will use them for

http://www.digidiodes.com/index.html
l____l 09 JKU Sahara Rock Krawler 2.5
(OlllllllO) Ripp supercharger 35x12.5's 5.13's
[]--O--[] magnaflow D.I.Y. exhaust -James-
MrZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

There is more to it than just light output. Much of the price you pay for the premium LEDs is in the optics and the drivers themselves. You get what you pay for

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

^ This! ^

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

I consider myself a person who can appreciate quality and generally speaking willing to pay a premium for top quality products. With that said, I also try and consider intended use. I don't think there is anyone who can logically argue Spyder's point that "you get what you pay for". However, for someone such as myself who would like a LED light bar but not willing to spend $1,500 on one cause I don't see the value. I would like one for the few times I wheel at night. This is rare but when you need it, you just need it and they are nice to have. I realize there will be sacrifices made and would not expect the same quality from a cheaper version to match Rigid or equivalent manufacturer.

So, the question...Of the cheaper versions, does one stand above others? This past weekend I was at a hunters extravaganza show here in San Antonio, TX. There was a booth for a business called Plash Lights. They had some nice looking LED lights and bars. Honestly, at a glance you would never know the difference between these and Rigid. They looked that similar. I know very little about LED lights at this point but starting to research them. His 50" bar with double row LED's sold for $550. That seems like something to at least consider. I didn't want to rush into something and make a purchase I would regret but I liked what I saw. I looked them up online and they are a Texas based company out of League City which is just South of Houston. Does anyone have experience with them or their products? Also, others I should consider in the lower price range?

David M
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

A quality light WILL be there when you need it. A seldom used cheap light may let you down when you need it most. Unless of course you keep it safe in a box until you need it. 1/2 or more of the value of these lights goes into the build quality and durability to take the pounding and adverse weather conditions. Optics and efficiency are the other 1/2.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

If you think RIGIDs are expensive you should look at Baja Design's ONx series. Best LED bars manufactured hands down.

All that said though, the amount of light a 50" bar puts out is something you need to ask yourself if you need in the first place. The big bars usually use smaller optics and lower output LEDs individually vs say, VisionXs Optimus Prime series singles. The Prime's single 15 watt CREE LED and custom large spot reflector gives 6" HIDs a run for their money. They are really that impressive.

So what's your intended purpose? I fully intend to sport a rigid sr20 on my front bumper for close to medium filler and then complement it with a pair of the VisionX Prime's for long distance. You have to mix and match and a large sum of LEDs isn't Always the answer when you're trying to accomplish a goal within restraints.

Optics and drivers cost a lot of money, that's why the premium products are that expensive. They're worth it when you need performance.

Unread 08-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

^^ Totally Agreed 50" bar is way overkill. I ran a quality 16" 6000 lumen LED light bar for a couple of weeks and I also have 4 2100 Lumen LED spots. I didn't run the spots because that 16" bar was more then enough on its own. Offroad it was way more then enough light and on the open back road I could light up signs 2 miles away and spot deer on the road and in ditches easily 1/2mile away. So really when is enough enough. I have come to realize that a nice even pattern across your horizon is alot more effective the hot spots way out there or too much light directly infront of the vehicle.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
burnswhenip
2010 JK Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...itted-1467932/
burnswhenip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
A quality light WILL be there when you need it. A seldom used cheap light may let you down when you need it most. Unless of course you keep it safe in a box until you need it. 1/2 or more of the value of these lights goes into the build quality and durability to take the pounding and adverse weather conditions. Optics and efficiency are the other 1/2.
I understand what you are saying and don't completely disagree. But, there is another point of view is all I'm saying. Like I mentioned, it would be seldom used. I don't consider LED lights a critical necessity. Meaning worse case scenario the light doesn't work when I need it. I can still get home. Assuming warranty coverage, the light can be repaired or replaced. I can see your logic for an item like a winch or something you absolutely cannot afford to fail, if it does you are stranded. LED lights might fall into that category if I was racing Baja Mexico or something of that sort. For my intended use, it is a far cry from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
If you think RIGIDs are expensive you should look at Baja Design's ONx series. Best LED bars manufactured hands down.

All that said though, the amount of light a 50" bar puts out is something you need to ask yourself if you need in the first place. The big bars usually use smaller optics and lower output LEDs individually vs say, VisionXs Optimus Prime series singles. The Prime's single 15 watt CREE LED and custom large spot reflector gives 6" HIDs a run for their money. They are really that impressive.

So what's your intended purpose? I fully intend to sport a rigid sr20 on my front bumper for close to medium filler and then complement it with a pair of the VisionX Prime's for long distance. You have to mix and match and a large sum of LEDs isn't Always the answer when you're trying to accomplish a goal within restraints.

Optics and drivers cost a lot of money, that's why the premium products are that expensive. They're worth it when you need performance.
Great Point! Honestly, I do not need a 50" bar. From the pictures I've seen online a 20" would be more that enough light for my intended purposes. The only reason I mentioned the 50" is the mounting position. As silly as that may sound to some. We all have our likes and dislikes. I'm not sold on the look of a LED bar mounted on the bumper or Bull bar of the bumper. Is there another option for mounting that I am not aware of yet? I wouldn't rule it out but need to think about that one for a while. To answer your question about my intended use. It would strictly be for rock crawling at night and/or trail riding at night. Looking for something to supplement the crappy stock lights our JK's come equipped with. Something along what you described, close to mid range with some flood coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
^^ Totally Agreed 50" bar is way overkill. I ran a quality 16" 6000 lumen LED light bar for a couple of weeks and I also have 4 2100 Lumen LED spots. I didn't run the spots because that 16" bar was more then enough on its own. Offroad it was way more then enough light and on the open back road I could light up signs 2 miles away and spot deer on the road and in ditches easily 1/2mile away. So really when is enough enough. I have come to realize that a nice even pattern across your horizon is alot more effective the hot spots way out there or too much light directly infront of the vehicle.
I like the description of light pattern you described. That is what I am looking for. Not interested in spotting something a looong distances out.
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Consider that the height of the 50 bar coupled with the angle of rock crawling would make it entirely useless once you hit the trail.

I think it would be a better suit to you to consider a pillar mounted lights that you can angle easily as you please, as well some form of well mounted high power rock lights, SR-Ms for example.

Placing the light in efficient places even with lower output will have a better outcome in performance vs using the spray and pray method

Unread 08-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I also agree about big lights of any kind mounted on a windshield bar. The glare on the hood really affects your distance night vision, however, they do light a campsite nicely.
My preference is on the front bumper.
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
David_M

2013 JK Wrangler 

Rock lights are on the short list. You raise a valid point tho regarding the rock crawling aspect. While on the difficult parts of the obstacles. There will be a spotter most of the time. Certainly could not use LED's or any front facing lights for that matter. Blinding the spotter wouldn't be to anyones benefit.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.