leaking soft top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > leaking soft top

Labor Day Sale at UCF!Gibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 08-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
esabatino6511
2011 JK Wrangler 

leaking soft top

my 2011 jk unlimited roof leaks on the passenger side front. .there is a foam gasket above the window that gets soaked and drips in from there.anyone else having the same problem?

esabatino6511 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Get some weather stips from an auto zone or what not and put it in the channel of the top window it should fix ur problem
Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
Neo1130
2015 JK Wrangler 

There is a flap on the front top of the door weather strip. The flap will sometimes get caught on the wrong side of the windshield channel, causing water to get in. Water should drain from the windshield channel, to the OUTSIDE of the flap on the door weatherstrip. Hard to describe but I can get pics if needed.
Neo1130 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Neo1130
2015 JK Wrangler 

Oh and to fix it, I just stuffed some foam chunks so the flap sits closer to the door surround.
Neo1130 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
esabatino6511
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
There is a flap on the front top of the door weather strip. The flap will sometimes get caught on the wrong side of the windshield channel, causing water to get in. Water should drain from the windshield channel, to the OUTSIDE of the flap on the door weatherstrip. Hard to describe but I can get pics if needed.
thanks il give it a shot
Unread 08-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #6
esabatino6511
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezer View Post
Get some weather stips from an auto zone or what not and put it in the channel of the top window it should fix ur problem
thanks il give it a shot
Unread 08-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

I went crazy trying to debug my water leak. On the door picture I had water dripping on the open handle. It was almost like I didnt have a roof over that part of my Jeep.

My last warranty visit the 'water guy' got all the leaks to stop by adding some foam and putting this rubber gasket on the rail. I knew when I switch to my hard top and back to the soft it would leak again and sure enough it did.

I thought the problem was the seal between the door and that gasket (its right above the handle), but as I added more foam to the side where the door hits the worse it got. One rain the CENTER console was wet - WTF!

I tried placing the foam everywhere logical with no results, then I remembered that the bottom of the gasket had some 'tarry' substance and a little foam that had worn off - it didnt make sense but I took the foam from the side and added it to the bottom and I am leak free once again.

Looking at the 2nd picture you can see the foam sticking out of the bottom below the beige stuff (plumbers putty attempt ) - I dont have any foam on the side of that gasket.

I have no idea why the 'seal' is better now, I just know I get no water on the handle regardless off storm.
img_2215-medium-.jpg   img_2217-medium-.jpg   img_2219-medium-.jpg  
gogogooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.