Leaking Freedom Top Roof (3-PieceTop) on the 2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking Freedom Top Roof (3-PieceTop) on the 2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
1wildwoman2
2013 JK Wrangler 

Leaking Freedom Top Roof (3-PieceTop) on the 2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon

There are times when I do not drive my Jeep for a week or so. Several times there has been heavy rains while the Jeep has been sitting. My driveway is a slight (maybe 20-25 degrees) incline. When I back up and turn around to go down the driveway, the roof will leak at the front center latch area and run/drip down on the dash, the navigation/stereo screen, and onto the console. The dealership states they have tested it and it does not leak for them. It also does not leak when it is taken through the automatic car wash. Is anyone having this same issue? If yes, we're you able to get it resolved?

Unread 06-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Jeeps leak.. just the nature of the beast.. Sux that you pay that much money and it leaks so bad... especially with a hard top but all you can do is fuss at dealer maybe get it on video..
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
danski999
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have 2 threads about this issue, first they will tell you that you put the tops back on wrong, and when you fuss enough they will replace the seals. My 2012 JK has been in 5 times for roof leaks, to include 2 new freedom top panels. This last time they had the tech in to look at my jeep and 5 other jeeps. My roof seals have already been replaced 3 times and the door seals 2 times. I know the frustration, all I can tell you is demand the dealer fix it. Also a nasty review about the dealer works wonders, jeep takes the reviews they send to you serious.

Good Luck
danski999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
1wildwoman2
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. Heading to Jeep dealership to have another test performed for leakage. I find it unacceptable for a new Jeep to leak.
Unread 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
rockrb11
2012 JK Wrangler 

I bought a 2012 unlimited last August and had to bring it back to the dealer 4 times. My leak was in the exact same spot as yours. My issue seems identical to yours. After the 3rd time they replaced all the seals and it was fixed. The dealer said the same thing... couldnt find a leak... didnt leak when they water tested it... blah blah. The whole "its a jeep they leak" arguement is bs if you ask me. I dont care what the vehicle is, no one pays $30k + to drive something that water leaks into period.
rockrb11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

I will bet most of you will not own a Jeep long. No offense, just a hunch. I love the design of the freedom 3 part tops. But face it, there is a reason NO one does the "T" or panel top anymore, they leak, in the end no matter. To many parts with seals. In the end will leak. K.I.S.S. theory.

Why I like the idea of the front panels. They make the best Bikini top I have ever had. Since that is all I run, no hard doors, no hard top. Some soft 2 part doors as needed and a rear soft window as needed. Soft doors leak always have, since 1941. Jeeps never came with carpet. I removed those when it was new.

I have a few trash bags. one for the steering wheel and a few for the seats if it gets real bad. Ever get caught in a thunder storm topless .
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
1wildwoman2
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well the Jeep dealership water tested my Jeep again. When they took the driver's side top off, they found water pooled in the top. Further inspection found that the factory had slightly twisted a seal in one spot when they put the top on. They said this is where the water is getting in. After they changed the seals, they water tested it and said it was not leaking. Since they already told me this once and didn't find a twisted seal the first time, I hope they are correct. We shall see.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback on these tops leaking.
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
barnettd

Leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wildwoman2 View Post
Well the Jeep dealership water tested my Jeep again. When they took the driver's side top off, they found water pooled in the top. Further inspection found that the factory had slightly twisted a seal in one spot when they put the top on. They said this is where the water is getting in. After they changed the seals, they water tested it and said it was not leaking. Since they already told me this once and didn't find a twisted seal the first time, I hope they are correct. We shall see.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback on these tops leaking.
I have an 08 JKU... run with the freedom top about 25% the year. It has leaked off and on but usually you just have to take when laying the freedom panels back on... make sure nothing pinches wrong. I spray the rubber once a year with armor (lightly) and wipe them clean.
When it was new it actually had a bad leak in the back window and it would flood the little tray where the jack sits. A jeep dealer replaced the seals under warranty... no issues since then (09).
barnettd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
1wildwoman2
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have to agree with ROCKRB11. For a person to say it is a Jeep so expect it to leak is BS. Anyone who pays $30K+ and has the new Jeep leak needs to be hounding the dealership to get it fixed. Shame on you if you accept anything less. You could expect that maybe an old Jeep might leak, but not a new Jeep.
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Wranglers are like Lego trucks; so many parts that are designed to be readily detached and then re-attached by the consumer. As such, it is more prone to leaks, squeeks, and rattles.

If re-installing has not worked and a couple beads of silicone around the front-center (where water is leaking) has not worked, then the dealer needs to replace the seals (rubber stripping) that go around the front panels.

My striker plates have been duct taped and no more rattles; my freedom top has silicone that I added [the sun oxidizes the rubber over time] and no leaks to speak of. There are usually simple fixes, but I also agree that the dealer needs to provide a remedy for you.

Keep us posted.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
riddoch
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2013 JKU Freedom Edition with a hard top. My roof has leaked at least since the first time I took the freedom panels off(maybe prior). Initially I read the forums, assumed I'd put the panels on incorrectly, and went about my day.

Since owning my jeep for the last 6 months the white stitching on the driver's seat of my special edition jeep has turned from white to brown. On my driveway, my jeep sits at a steep incline, so that might have something to do with it.

I haven't been to the dealership since I've owned the Jeep simply because I don't have time, but I find a leaky roof on a +30K vehicle unacceptable. "It's a Jeep" is not an excuse!
riddoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #12
rayder1

A little bit of silicone on the seals....each time you put the top back on is a good idea. The rubber seals are lubricated when they go on at the factory to assure they don't prematurely dry out sitting in a dealer lot.

I had a little air leakage at freeway speeds with the t tops. Taking the top off and putting it back on re-sealed the leak. I run mine through the car wash regularly and had it through last years rainy season. So far so good....knock on wood.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
1wildwoman2
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well it has been 3 weeks since Par-K fixed the leaking roof. We have had many heavy rains and the roof has not leaked any more. Hooray!
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #14
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

I have a few trash bags. one for the steering wheel and a few for the seats if it gets real bad. Ever get caught in a thunder storm topless .
You crack me up. We should get together and do some wheeling...
Unread 07-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Piker73
2013 JK Wrangler 

Mine leaked also. It took them 5 trips to the dealer, but they finally figured out that my freedom panel was cracked. Replaced it and fixed the leak.
Piker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.