Leaking axel seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Leaking axel seal

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
the_cable_guy
2008 JK Wrangler 

Leaking axel seal

Had my u-joint replaced and had a bit of gear oil coming out the axel tube. Is it possible when the axel was pulled out gear oil seeped into the axel tube and my seals are ok cause it doesn't seem to be leaking anymore and my diff fluid is about a quarter inch below the fill hole.

Unread 11-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Could be residue from the axle removal.
Could have stopped leaking due to low level.

Fill it up to the level of the stock cover's fill hole.
Clean all the residue from the C with brake cleaner.

Drive it and check for evidence of continued leaking.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Could be either but depending on how much leaked out to begin with it is probably just oil that leaked into the tube while the shaft was out. Jacking up the side where the axle was removed could have prevented any oil escaping in the first place.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.