Largest tire size for stock 2010 Wrangler Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Largest tire size for stock 2010 Wrangler Sport

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Herecomesthesun
2010 JK Wrangler 

Largest tire size for stock 2010 Wrangler Sport

I just bought a 2010 Wrangler Sport, with stock tires that suck! I'm looking at NITTO Terrain Grapplers and the current size tire is 255-70/R17. There is a local shop that has these tires in 285-70/R17. Will these fit without having to put in a lift? The guy at the tire place recommended I come here to see if anyone knew for sure? I can get an amazing deal on these tires, and I love them, but I'm not sure if they will rub too much. Please help!

Herecomesthesun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

285's are typically marketed as a 33 inch tire. You might have some minor rubbing issues. Most likely when offroading.

Take a look at this thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/faq-will-rub-610856/
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Herecomesthesun
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. The guy at the tire place thought they would rub a little, but wasnt sure how bad. But let me put it this way...I leased the jeep, and I'm afraid that if it does damage they lease company will charge me? I've never leased a vehicle before, so I dont know what I can and can't do.
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
jake_blue
2008 JK Wrangler 

A Lease is just a guaranteed trade-in value ASSUMING the vehicle is in reasonable condition... and reasonable is at the discernment of the leasing agency or dealership if you leased through the manufacturer. At any rate, Jeep-type modifications and any kind of trail damage that cannot be easily returned to like-new condition will affect the value at time of return and therefore the hefty payment due when your lease is up. If you run the larger tires and then return to the stock size tires on the vehicle before turning it in, I don't know if the return inspection is even detailed enough to notice a little potential rubbing inside the wheel housings, but that's a risk you'll have to decide if you want to take.

I've personally never leased any vehicle because I know my driving habits and would always go over mileage. Even if I used rental cars on trips and vacations, somehow the mileage limits on leases seem extraordinarily low for me... but I do more than commute daily so maybe it's just a lifestyle thing. My long-term plan is to pay-off my 08 Wrangler and then start doing any major modifications to it in order that I'm not adversely affecting my daily driver until I can replace it. At that time maybe a lease will be practical as I could limit it just to commuting and still drive my upfitted Jeep on the weekends!
Unread 04-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #5
RussK
2007 JK Wrangler 

you should have no problem. when you go in reverse at full turn they may rub the air dam under front bumper. They may also rub when you flex it on the trails. Other than that you shouldn't have any problems.

These are 285's on 17's
RussK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Herecomesthesun
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone!!! I'm too excited!

Russ - Your jeep looks amazing with those tires! But did you put a lift on it?
Unread 04-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
Herecomesthesun
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Jake for all the information. I'm sure I won't be turning in the jeep in three years and keeping it! But just in case....
Unread 04-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
RussK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thx for the compliment, surprisingly I haven't seen those wheels anywhere else but blackrocks site. I am glad that not many people have them. (I assume because they are alloys would have a lot to do with it)

no I didn't lift it yet.
only mods are those tires and a superchips flashpaq
I am leaning towards a 2 inch coil lift. 3 I think might be a bit much for how I use it.

I would recomend this size since its a lease and the price you are getting.
RussK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
Herecomesthesun
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well I got the tires! yay! Ill post pics soon!
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
BigMikeATL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Leasing a Jeep can't be a good deal.

Leases are calculated off of the residual value. The residual for a Wrangler has to suck which would make the payment as much as buying it.
BigMikeATL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

I leased mine. There's really no difference financially. You're paying for the depreciation one way or another. Buy it and your owned asset depreciates. Lease it and you're paying the depreciation in real time. Interest rates are comparable. I leased mine through a local bank. They view it as a loan of the difference between the residual and the purchase price. It shows up as a loan on a credit report. Can even pay the lease off early, like a loan.

At the end of the lease, I'll either buy the Jeep with cash or trade it in on a new one, depending on how much I love mine vs want a new one.
Grinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

One note about residual value... The 2010's are essentially the same as 2007's, and there's actual data about what the 2007's are worth when they're 3 years old. So the residual values of the 2010's can be very accurately estimated. It's fairly low risk now to lease a 2010 Jeep and worry about the accuracy of the residual value.

Internal thought - I'm not sure I'm adding any value to this discussion, so I'll shut up now...
Grinner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL View Post

Leases are calculated off of the residual value. The residual for a Wrangler has to suck which would make the payment as much as buying it.
Wranglers hold their value extremely well, so the residual value is pretty high. So because the value at the end of the lease is still high, you would pay less to lease it.
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
TGuiles
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeATL View Post

2010 X. 3 years. $0 down. $219 month. 15,840 due after lease is up if I want to buy it. I already want to buy it, but didn't know I would be this addicted when I signed.

Darn great lease price, though. With that buyout, it's practically like having no interest for 3 years.
TGuiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
jake_blue
2008 JK Wrangler 

I though Jeeps in general and Wranglers in particular had relatively good residual value and therefore a lease would seem a good deal, at least on the surface.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.