Lanyards on keys+toppless/doorless Jeep=bad mojo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Lanyards on keys+toppless/doorless Jeep=bad mojo

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-05-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Lanyards on keys+toppless/doorless Jeep=bad mojo

So I'm driving to work, enjoying the life topless/doorless Jeep owner. I didn't notice thw wind wrapped my lanyand around the cruise contol stick. I make a left turn and I thought the engine cut off because I can't turn the wheel. I look at my tach and rev. Endinje still on. I try examine the steering wheel and notice the Lanyard on my keys all tangld bup. When I get to my destination. I go to turn off the engine and the key feels weird. It's all bend up. I'm hopinjg to be able to start it later tonight and get home to my spare before it breaks. So how much is a new key from the dealer?

Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know about JK keys because they probably have transponders and keyless entry, but I know I can get a key made for my TJ at Walmart for $1.XX. I hate not having keyless entry and an alarm and all that, but I guess there are some perks. I know when I had to get a new transponder key cut for my GTI from the dealership it was upwards of $200.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

I got a lanyard on my key set and I always hoop it on the shifter, so this can never happen. Still a bummer.
Unread 07-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Check out keys over the internet too! There are some places that undercut the dealer by a lot. I had a cracked plastic shell that the metal blade goes into for my 1998 Landcrusier. It was not an emergency so every time I got an oil change at the dealer, I went to parts to inquire how much? They were oblivious and fishing for a price.

It was funny, first time it was like $150 for a whole new key, 2nd time $250, 3rd time $350. I finally got on the internet and found a very professional and friendly auto-lockshop in the mid-west and got the plastic shell for something like $20 bucks and put the old blade in, in a couple of minutes--good as new.

These new keys are very costly and can be a pain the arse. Whatever happened to the good old $1.50 key copy? The chipped keys are a part of the security system, but it didn't do me any good when the thieves broke into my heep, cutting and crawling through my soft-top window. The alarm only sounds if the doors are opened.
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Endinje
What is that?
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
What is that?
sorry. posting from my cell phone. buttons too small. fingers too pudgy. "the engine was still on."
Unread 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

It is a good idea to buy a chipped key (a transponder key) blank. Costs about $10-15 on the internet (try eBay). It won't have the lock or alarm buttons but can be programmed anyway. Have it cut anywhere for another buck or two.

As long as you have two programmed keys you can program up to 8 other chipped keys. The instructions are in your manual and on the better JK forums.

If you only have the two original keys and lose one you are at the mercy of the dealer. Yes, they charge close to $150-200. Ouch. If you have only one key you need the dealer or a sophisticated locksmith to get you a second programmed key.

If you are negotiating for a new vehicle, insist upon a third or fourth key. These chipped keys are here to stay.

Wait until you have to get laser cut keys!
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
sorry. posting from my cell phone. buttons too small. fingers too pudgy. "the engine was still on."
No problem, just giving you a hard time for the butchering.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
MacK
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

I was pulling my key and my 120 lb german shepard pulled me when I was trying to get it out of the ignition, and it bent my key. I bent it back and it was fine. I just switched to my spare key. Good luck with yours though
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #10
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
I was pulling my key and my 120 lb german shepard pulled me when I was trying to get it out of the ignition, and it bent my key. I bent it back and it was fine. I just switched to my spare key. Good luck with yours though
I waited until I got home and had the spare within arms reach....then I broke the first key trying to bend it back. Thanks for the postive thoughts though.
Unread 07-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #11
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

I agree lanyards on jeep keys plus top and doors off is a bad idea.

My lanyard looped around the steering wheel, when I turned left it snapped off the key fob leaving the key in the ignition.

Thankfully I was only two blocks from home. Walked home got a needle nose plier and pulled the key out of the ignition.

down to one key now, even with the broken fob really close to a new key I had cut the engine wont' stay running. the fob has to be VERY close to the ignition.
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
joshdegen1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Lost my JK key one time...the key wasn't that espensive like 40 bucks...but the tow to the dealership so they could reprogram the little chip that's in the key was like eighty bucks...plus the program itself was another 60...
joshdegen1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just an FYI, I saw an after market key/case on Ebay. It was a blank key and had attached case for the keyless entry, but no internals. Looks exactly like the stock JK key without the Jeep logo on the back. I had the key cut, and swapped out the internals from my broken case, crossed my fingers and attempted to start my Jeep. She fired up and it only cost me $13.90 (had the key cut for free) instead of the $260 quoted from the dealer.

So if you break your key, check out Ebay and MyKeyless.com
Unread 07-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you have two working keys, you can get a blank with a transponder on eBay for $11 or so. Then with two working keys, you can program it yourself. You just need to find a locksmith or a store to cut the key and your golden.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dronac View Post
If you have two working keys, you can get a blank with a transponder on eBay for $11 or so. Then with two working keys, you can program it yourself. You just need to find a locksmith or a store to cut the key and your golden.
That's in the works. My Jeep was only a month old at the time, so I only had the two original keys. I was basically letting anyone who breaks there key, that they have a cheaper solution to getting a whole new one at the dealership. That there is a blan key with an empty case that can be cut and the internals swapped, and, bam, you have a brand new key again that will unlock/lock your doors and start your vehicle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.