Kyle08JK's 2dr Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Kyle08JK's 2dr Build

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Kyle08JK's 2dr Build

Just picked up my first JK in November of 2013. Been in the Jeep family since high school with my first long-armed WJ. Owned lifted WJs, fast WJs, and sold my 00 TJ Sahara in August. She remains nameless for the time being but I am looking for something that fits. I work long, hectic hours in Manufacturing while spending even more time at night school and my Jeeps have always been a way to unwind and take my mind off everything.

She is a 2008 Wrangler X with the D44 rear, 6speed, and 65k miles.

Day one:

Most recent picture:

Last edited by Kyle08JK; 01-16-2014 at 05:17 PM..
Kyle08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Took advantage of Northridge4x4's Christmas Sale

Poison Spyder BFH

Nitro Axle Sleeves and Artec C-Gussets

Also picked up the 2.5" Rock Krawler Flex System with Fox 2.0 shocks
Unread 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Cutting the frame for the Poison BFH

And here it is fitted and ready for powder coat. Will be doing everything in a charcoal gray. Haven't decided on whether or not I want a textured finished but am picking up some samples tomorrow on my way home from work.

Unread 01-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Cleaned up the throttle body. Took 10 minutes and instant idle improvement.

Before:

After:

Unread 01-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

wow man, great start, always nice to see someone that starts a thread with quality products. looks like you've done your research! man i love those bfh bumpers. might copy that design when i make my own, but with a grill hoop of course since i have no luck with the local wildlife
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

Fellow WJ'er! Glad you made the switch! I like the dark charcoal color idea
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
wow man, great start, always nice to see someone that starts a thread with quality products. looks like you've done your research! man i love those bfh bumpers. might copy that design when i make my own, but with a grill hoop of course since i have no luck with the local wildlife
Read a lot of build threads before I started doing anything. Yours included I love the look of the BFH bumper and it feels amazingly stout but in the back of my mind I don't like that I can never put another front bumper on my jeep without extensive work. Cutting off the mounts that most other bumpers use is definitely a no turning back decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Fellow WJ'er! Glad you made the switch! I like the dark charcoal color idea
I am a firm believer that the most comfortable seats ever placed in a jeep were cloth WJ seats. Here are my old jeeps together. 00 with a 6.5" long arm and 35s, and my 03 4.7L H.O.

Unread 01-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Spent Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning installing my 2.5" Rock Krawler Flex system. Fox shocks were a pain to install as they were just so damn stiff. Install went pretty smoothly with only basic hand tools and a craftsman impact. Made a small checklist of things to do before she is back road worthy.

- Grease joints and install set screws in place of zerk fittings
- Double check all "critical" torques with wrench
- Install front quick disconnects
- Install front brake lines
- Properly center front driver side lower control arm joint
- Center steering wheel (ESP is going crazy with the steering wheel off center)

Front complete

Hydrating

Rear Installed

Unread 01-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #9
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

lift looks great! and thanks for reading through my build. not a lot of traffic in there. most of those on the check list are rather easy, especially the centering of the steering wheel, maybe a 5 minute job at max. and hey if you end up with a welder you can always make your own bumper in the future!
Unread 01-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

I love your WJ, makes me miss mine.. I agree on the seats. I always wanted to trade my leather for someone with cloth. No one was dumb enough

(my apologies for hijack)

Looking at your throttle body actually made me go and clean mine. Holy canoli that thing was gunked at 44k miles!

Jeep looks good all leveled out
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Installed my CoverKings today. They fit great, almost a little too snug. Did a little damage to the Velcro strap that runs at the bottom of the front but you'll never see it anyway. I'm digging the color combo. Should match up well with the bumpers once they are finished. Looks like I took the pictures with a potato

Adjusted the drag link to center up the steering wheel and took her for the first real test drive since I put the lift on. Very pleased with the ride quality. The rear seems a little stiffer then I remember but will only get "better" as it starts to break in.
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #12
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Should have my MT/Rs by next week. Took the safe route and went with 35".

Last edited by Kyle08JK; 01-14-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice build! Good write-up and pics!
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
Kyle08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just a quick update for you guys. Had ordered 35" MT/Rs. Slight mix up placed my tires on another customer's truck and netted me 5 Kuhmo KL71 for less than what I would of paid for 3 of the original MT/Rs. I'm happy with the deal.

- Should have my front bumper back Thursday from powder coat. Went with the Kingsport Grey which is sort of an OEM looking metallic charcoal grey.

- Tuned with the Superchips 3870 to eliminate the pedal hesitation and change tire sizing. Also tuned to the 93 octane tune so we will see what happens there.

- Received 100ft of "denim" colored Paracord today for some new grab handles. Installed some blue trek armor grab handles and hit my head on them every time I got in so they have got to go.

- Beginning to shop for a winch. Thinking something from Engo. The price is right and they are getting pretty good reviews.
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

Those tires and wheels look good. Can't wait to see the rest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.