Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Which keys should have come with my Jeep?

747 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Igiveup 
#1 ·
Just picked up a 2009 Wrangler X. Very excited...it only has 2,000 miles and came already swapped with larger 17" Jeep wheels and a decent 31" tire.

Re: keys...

Unfortunately, it only came with one of these:

I've seen other 07+ Jeeps come with one that looks like this:

So... which one should it have? My Wrangler X has literally ZERO options, no power locks, windows, NOTHING. Total base model. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something with the black key/fob deal. Did they ship the base models with the simple gray key?

I need to get another key cut and programmed...just want to make sure I'm getting the right one. So, which is it?

See less See more
#3 ·
If you have the doors that don't have electronic locks and power windows, that's the key you'll get....except it should have little ridgey things cut in it...

#4 ·
The key you got is the one that comes with it. Did you want a trunk open button? :laugh:

Oh yeah, GRATS on the new Jeep!!! say goodbye to your money.

#6 ·
Thanks all.

No, it wasn't a repo. Just a very unloved/unwanted Jeep (how could that be?) Apparently, it was the last '09 Wrangler at one of the struggling Jeep dealers. A salesman bought it to make his numbers and drove it for a few months, and then it went to a local auction where a Jeep dealer in the next town over (who knew the salesman, used to work there or something) picked it up. This dealer had a set of 17" Jeep wheels and decent tires (have about 25k on them), so they threw those on. Then, the Jeep sat for almost 4 months, this dealer couldn't sell it either. Then we came along. Carfax and autocheck confirm their story and locations, and it came with all the owners manuals and even the build sheet. Was missing the window sticker and 2nd key. We asked about key #2, but they were unwilling to foot the cost of cutting the 2nd key, and they did not have it as it was not included when they purchased it at auction.

According to their sales data which the finance manager showed me, They lost $600 on it between what they bought it for at the auction, and the day they sold it to us. Apparently they needed to keep cash flowing, so they let it go. It still smells new, has never been offroad, is extremely clean (just water spots on the underside, very little dirt).

I'm stoked!! And glad to know that it's got the right set of keys with it.

#9 ·
Take it back and make them get your 2nd key. You have to have 2 active keys to add up to 8 total. You can not do it with just the one. You need a pair to program more.

Bob K.

#10 ·
Take it to a locksmith. He will need the original key to cut the new one and the jeep to hook his computer to so he can program the new key. It will cost less than half of what a jeep dealer will charge you. I had about the same deal with the '07 I bought so I'm speaking from experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.