Keyless entry acting up ? What is going on ? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Keyless entry acting up ? What is going on ?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #91
carnut08
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgator View Post
I've got the same problem in my '09 Sahara with remote start. Intermittant, with no rhyme or reason when it will happen.

Nothing plugged in to the accessory. It happened twice today. Had to use the key to get in both times with the alarm blaring until I could get the key in the ignition.
It's happened twice since my last post.

I'm getting used to getting that key in the ignition FAST and then looking like a complete doofus.

I don't like it and I expect it to be fixed. HELLO!!

Anybody at Chrysler out there??

FIX THIS ISSUE NOW!!!!!

carnut08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 05:25 AM   #92
FatBuoy

Still going

Sorry to hear you are still having issues carnut. On January 6th I removed my iPhone charger from the outlet-not a hint of a problem since!
Unread 02-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #93
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

It has happened a few more times for me too

It might have to do with my CB being wired into that outlet...

I need to rewire it to the other one.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #94
TJeeper

Mine hasn't happened in a few months. I found out when my wife drives the JK she kept hitting the unlock button because she couldn't hear the beep like her car (I have the horn turned off). Once I told her to look at the lights and hit the button, it has stopped messing up. I don't think it is the cure, but at least it isn't happening as often.
Unread 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #95
NocturnalAlloy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Same problem on 2010 JK

I'm having the same issue with the RKE on my 2010 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, some days it's ok, some not. Humidity or locking the doors manually seems to make things worst for some reason (I think).

The dealer replaced the RKE module and worked fine for a week. I am yet to try keys out of pocket for a while, this is not absurd at all, this summer I was working from home and always had the keys on counter, but not that I'm back at the client site I put em in my pocket and I'm guessing the buttons get pressed by accident. Worth the try... 4th time at the dealer for this issue.

At one point the dealer did mention a possible microcode (software) update for the RKE module.
NocturnalAlloy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #96
carnut08
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm still having the issue. Sorta getting used to it now.

The other day it happened just after I walked by a motorcycle cop as he was getting ready to get on his bike.

I set the alarm off about 30 feet away from him and he never turned around!

The various other features like auto lock and auto unlock on exit come and go at random too.

On the plus side though, the Jeep has been otherwise trouble free and fun as heck!
Unread 09-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #97
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

It seems all too common. I also had that sinking feeling when my key wouldn't unlock my ride 6 months ago no matter what I tried. Oddly, came back out 10 minutes later and it worked fine. I've never changed batts since then and never had a problem again. The chances that both your keys crapped out at the same time vs something in your reciever.. makes me wonder. My dealer will gladly look at anything I ask them to. Your dealer.. also makes me wonder. Maybe it's time to find another home?

2009 Wrangler JK Deep Water Blue 2/door, Auto Soft Top
Automatic/3.73
2.5" RC Coils/1" MORE-BL/3/4" Levellers/Skyjacker Hydros Shocks/JKS 2" Bumps
17" AEV Argent Pintlers/34.4" GY Duratracs
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Bumpers, locking ends, grill loop
JKS Links/XHD Modular Bumpers/Locking End Units
SB-XCR8 Winch

http://theadirondoc.blogspot.com
DocJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #98
NocturnalAlloy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Same problem on 2010 JK

Last I spoke to my dealership, they said that Chrysler had recently told them that when a Wrangler is in the shop with this specific remote keyless entry problem, they need to call Chrysler Technical Support on the spot and they will run remote diags on the Jeep.

I'll keep you folks informed when I know more...
Unread 11-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #99
carnut08
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalAlloy View Post
Last I spoke to my dealership, they said that Chrysler had recently told them that when a Wrangler is in the shop with this specific remote keyless entry problem, they need to call Chrysler Technical Support on the spot and they will run remote diags on the Jeep.

I'll keep you folks informed when I know more...
Just an observation, but my wife's key NEVER has the problem and mine does frequently. My guess is that my FOB gets bumped in my pocket and the rolling codes get out of synch. That's why I just live with it.
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:50 PM   #100
NocturnalAlloy
2010 JK Wrangler 

UPDATE: Went to the dealer for an Oil change today and to follow-up on my RKE issues... So here's the official scoop directly from Chrysler's TECH LINE. They are working on a new Flash software upgrade and when available will release the information to dealers for all affected VINs. So, Chrysler is aware of this and are working on a fix, not fast enough if you ask me. I asked the dealer if they had an ETA, mum's the word.

Meanwhile, I'll keep on looking like an idiot who forgot to turn off his car alarm before entering the vehicle.

On the bright side, now I know exactly what's going on.

Cheers,
Unread 11-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #101
carnut08
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalAlloy View Post
UPDATE: Went to the dealer for an Oil change today and to follow-up on my RKE issues... So here's the official scoop directly from Chrysler's TECH LINE. They are working on a new Flash software upgrade and when available will release the information to dealers for all affected VINs. So, Chrysler is aware of this and are working on a fix, not fast enough if you ask me. I asked the dealer if they had an ETA, mum's the word.

Meanwhile, I'll keep on looking like an idiot who forgot to turn off his car alarm before entering the vehicle.

On the bright side, now I know exactly what's going on.

Cheers,
Thanks for the information. Due to the fact that my wife's FOB Always works and mine frequently doesn't, I seriously doubt if some sort of flash will solve the problem
Unread 11-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #102
TJeeper

Thanks for the update. Mine was working fine for about the last 6 months, then my wife started driving the Jeep and suddenly it started acting up again. Seems like using both keys is causing the problem. When I am at home and it happens with my key I have to go back inside and use my wife's key. When it happens without the extra key I have to pull the battery out of the key to reset it.

Something else I noticed, but I don't know if it is related. Seems like before this happens, I have to press the button two times to get it to work, then a third to unlock the rest of the doors. A couple times of this and suddenly the key doesn't work at all.

Hopefully Chrysler finds a fix for this. Sure is annoying.
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #103
jdp_509
2010 JK Wrangler 

Another thanks to you Connie, I was having the same remote issues on my 2010 and it just started doing it. After reading all the post, I just bought a new iphone charger for the Jeep. Went out and unplugged it and now the remote works great!! WOW. Just make you know how weak this keyless system is.
jdp_509 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #104
twokids
1983 CJ7 

Mine is doing the same thing. Does anyone have any updates?
It seems to work fine until I plug in the GPS or charge my phone. My key stopped working but the wife's is fine.
It has done this before and after awhile they will both work again.
twokids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2014, 08:58 AM   #105
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids View Post
Mine is doing the same thing. Does anyone have any updates?
It seems to work fine until I plug in the GPS or charge my phone. My key stopped working but the wife's is fine.
It has done this before and after awhile they will both work again.
When the problem appeared periodically, I just split open the key fob, shake out the battery, and put it back in. After that, everything worked fine again. The common event for me is the quick drop in temperature like a cold snap just before the problem occurred

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , keyless entry , problems , troubleshoot , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.