Keyless entry acting up ? What is going on ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Keyless entry acting up ? What is going on ?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
TJeeper

I've noticed pulling the battery and putting it back in will make it work again, at least until the next time. Lasted about a week then it wouldn't remember the remote again. So I get in, set off the alarm, start the Jeep, drive, remote works the next time I stop. I don't get it.

Unread 12-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #17
jellosh0ts
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had a similar intermittent problem with m '08...started at about 15,000 miles... The dealer's tech was baffled for a couple hours until he eventually found an obscure technical bulletin that talked about static and the wireless control module. Funny thing is they went to exchange modules, the new one was bad so they put the old one back in and the problem went away on it's own...
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
fleck
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
I just don't see how that could be. They get paid for warranty work. They don't get paid if you don't bring them something to fix.
I know they do not get paid full rate and it is only on a limited amount of time. So if they are only given 30 mins. on a warrenty issue and they spend 1 hour doing it....they only get paid the low rate at 30 mins.

I understand what you are saying......work is work !
Unread 12-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Captain56
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeeper View Post
Mine does this at least once a week. One remote does not work, the other does. Replaced batteries, no help. It is like the computer "forgets" the remote, then remembers it for a week or so and forgets it again. I haven't even bothered taking it to the dealer, I know the run around I would get from them.

It's like the Jeep forgetting the settings I have on the locks. I set it, a month later the settings change. Again, can't prove it to the dealer, so I know I'll just get blown off.
Mine does the same thing. The settings change for no reason or input from me. One week the horn beeps when I lock the doors, the next week it doesn't beep. One week the doors will lock at 15 MPH, the next week they won't lock. Etc. When I work midnights, I hate to lock the doors when I get home because SOMETIMES the horn beeps and wakes up the dog...then he starts barking and wakes up the entire house.
The dealer says "I can't see any problem with the system". No *****...there is no predicting the onset of the "gremlins".

OlllllllO
Captain56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #20
hoyt719
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I've noticed pulling the battery and putting it back in will make it work again, at least until the next time. Lasted about a week then it wouldn't remember the remote again. So I get in, set off the alarm, start the Jeep, drive, remote works the next time I stop. I don't get it.
Im glad to see Im not the only one...2009 sahara 2 door with 8300 miles on it...started happening a month ago...thought it was the cold
hoyt719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
FatBuoy

Mines been doing this crap for about a year and a half now.
Every time I take it to the dealer, which is a royal PITA,
it puts on it's best behavior and they can't duplicate the
problem. I lock it, or can't, go into the store/house, come
back out and it won't unlock. I have to do it with the key
and the alarm goes off my neighbors, coworkers, friends
etc just know to expect it now. It sucks. I pretty much
just don't lock it anymore. And of course that nice fancy
remote start won't work either...

So far: Rugged Ridge front bumper, rear bumper/tire carrier and side armor, 37" Toyo Open Country MTs, Argent AEV Pintlers, AEV hood, 5.13 gears, Teraflex 4" Long Arm lift, JE Reel front shaft. Flat fenders-Bushwacker. Superchips Flashpaq

Waiting to be installed: Nuttin!

On order: Nuttin!

Some day: I may grow up, but I seriously doubt it. Oh, and a Hemi!
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 05:20 AM   #22
connie
2008 JK Wrangler 

wireless remotes

I can't take it...I have had this 2008 jeep 4 door wrangler to dealer 4 times...Replaced the keys worked for a day. Replaced the wireless control moduel, worked for a day. The remote will on ocassion unlock/lock the doors if I hold it for 20 seconds standing next to it. Sometimes not...Remote start will not work at all.....what else could it be?
connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #23
igivup
2009 JK Wrangler 

Wireless remote

The only thing I've really noticed with mine is that it really only works if the front of the jeep is facing me. Side angle remote starts are limited in range, and coming at it from the rear is almost pointless until I'm right next to it.
I blamed it on the spare tire, and the placement of the antenna,(must be hidden).
If I'm facing the Jeep it seems to work well and at a decent range.
Had me baffled for a bit though,thought it was not responding, or broken, then realized it worked much better from full frontal.
Not saying that is your problem, just stating an observation.
igivup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM   #24
connie
2008 JK Wrangler 

That Is The Trick!!!!!!omg I Can Not Believe It...but Is There A Way To Get Better Reception On This. I Talked To The Dealer They Said It Should Open From Any Angle....but He Also Said The Antenna Is Part Of The W.c.m. That Has Been Replaced. So What Can I Do To Boost The Power To Get It To Open From All Angles????? Thank You
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #25
connie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Remote Door Opener

That Was It I Have To Stand In Front Of The Jeep!!!! Talked To The Dealer About Not Being Able To Open Locks From All Angles He Said Not Normal...but The Antenna Is Located In The Wireless Control Module And They Replaced It Already. So What Can I Do To Get More From The Antenna To Open The Truck Doors From The Sides Or From Entering The Rear?
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #26
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
That Was It I Have To Stand In Front Of The Jeep!!!! Talked To The Dealer About Not Being Able To Open Locks From All Angles He Said Not Normal...but The Antenna Is Located In The Wireless Control Module And They Replaced It Already. So What Can I Do To Get More From The Antenna To Open The Truck Doors From The Sides Or From Entering The Rear?
I think the issue is with your shift key.

My MRS works from any angle. It works from the rear. It works when I am inside buildings and the Jeep is outside of buildings. It works from in the middle of the grocery store. It works when I am standing in my garage, with the door closed. It works....pretty much under any reasonable conditions.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #27
TJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by igivup View Post
The only thing I've really noticed with mine is that it really only works if the front of the jeep is facing me.
I have stood 2 feet in front of the grill and the remote still does not work. I have to get in, set off the alarm, turn the key in the ignition to disarm the alarm. The next time I go to unlock the Jeep it works (it never happens for me when locking the Jeep though). I think it is the memory in the computer.

I do notice the range works better from the front than the side or rear though.
Unread 12-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #28
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have stood 2 feet in front of the grill and the remote still does not work. I have to get in, set off the alarm, turn the key in the ignition to disarm the alarm. The next time I go to unlock the Jeep it works (it never happens for me when locking the Jeep though).
Your vehicle is not working normally. Make the dealer fix it, or get on with lemon law related activities.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #29
runtaroo2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Mine 09 has done it for almost a year now. It is NOT the battery. If you pop the back off the key and then put it back together it works again. No need to wiggle the battery or the connectors. Its like it resets itself when it is split from the battery. I showed this to the dealer and they said that both keys have to be not working and then sent back to Jeep. They also said that Jeep was denying warranty work on the keys if they showed signs of being taken apart. Its a catch 22 because when you take the non working keys to dealer they just pop them open and put a new battery in them and say they are fixed.
runtaroo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #30
TJeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Your vehicle is not working normally. Make the dealer fix it, or get on with lemon law related activities.
Wow. That's informative. Unfortunately no dealer in the country will perform warranty work unless they actually see the problem. The whole point of this thread is the problem is intermittent, and can not be replicated in the dealer's lot.

The lemon law only applies to documented defects. If the problem isn't seen, it isn't documented.

Tags
JK Wrangler , keyless entry , problems , troubleshoot , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.