Kevlar paint? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Kevlar paint?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
magicman77
2012 JK Wrangler 

Kevlar paint?

Anyone out there have their rig painted with Kevlar or linex?
I've seen this website
http://www.starwoodmotors.com
starwoodmotors.com

And I've been thinking of getting it done but not sure how it works or would be after a couple of years. Any thoughts?
Thanks John

magicman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

never heard of Kevlar paint. Looks interesting though. ( that is one silly looking Jeep , but the finish is cool )
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
kade
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman77 View Post
Anyone out there have their rig painted with Kevlar or linex?
I've seen this website
http://www.starwoodmotors.com
starwoodmotors.com

And I've been thinking of getting it done but not sure how it works or would be after a couple of years. Any thoughts?
Thanks John
i saw linex on a FJ look good, but it was very expensive and it is heavy but looks cool and you never have to wash it relay and it still looks good and no scratches or rust

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/kade-2012-jku-build-1305112/
kade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

line-x yes, never heard of kevlar paint. Sounds pretty serious.

I'd probably only get that kind of exterior paint once my factory coat is shot.....in years haha
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
magicman77
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you look through some of those pictures - they have a lot of builds. The paint looks totally wild. I'm toying with the idea of getting it done - although haven't found anyone with it.
Didn't even think about the weight!!!

So no one has it or has seen it...
magicman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
GT4LO

I saw a Kevlar Coated JK recently. Top to bottom. The woman driving it said it weighed a ton. She had it done locally. (Las Vegas) It WAS pretty interesting to look at. If you ran your hand down it you would loose your skin.

I liked it. Not sure how it would be to clean.
GT4LO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
murfysflaw
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've seen one of the Starwood motors ones and one done locally with LineX. The Starwood ones they basically just tape stuff off and shoot... covering the hinges, bolts, etc. I don't particularly like that. The one done by the local LineX place looked amazing. He said they did it in parts, so he took the doors in, they shot them, put them back on... took the hood in, etc. I'm checking into getting mine done now.

I had the interior of my TJ Rhino lined and the weight really wasn't that much. I asked about it at the time and they gave me a chunk of it to hold... it really weighed very little. Not sure about the LineX or this "kevlar" coating. BTW... my guess is the "kevlar" coating is just the premium LineX or something. Just a different name to make it sound special.
murfysflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

i saw something very similar to what is shown and it looked outstanding. was in a parking lot in caldwell nj, but i believe it had colorado plates. never spoke with the owner, but appeared durable. i wwould consider this when it is time to repaint a jeep. am pretty sure it will add weight and eat up some mpg.
pentastarguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

So, it's like $20k+ for a paint job that would be difficult to wash? I have a lot of 'sagebrush pinstripes' on my Jeep; but, I just have it washed & waxed twice a year and it looks great. I just don't see the point of this.
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
GT4LO

Just had a LineX bedliner done in my new truck. They did a really clean job. I have had that before. Very durable.
Unread 01-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #11
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do not think that paint will hold up as well as Imron. Nor will anything with "texture" clean well. if that stuff cost that much I would go with all Imron. Resale if its a thought, anything with bedliner says to me, covering rust/bad body work/. its a ding right off the bat as the finish paint is as important as mechanical.

Thats my thought on it. But hey its your ride. you can glue hay. pennies, what ever..
Unread 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

I love the automobiles covered in pennies. I wonder if an auto covered in pennies works as good as tinfoil to keep them from reading my mind?
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #13
GT4LO

I don't agree that a bedliner is negative on resale. I had the last one done when my 2006 had 27 miles on it. Resale value was excellent. I think that having it done on my 2014 last week was a good idea. We camp and play and haul STUFF. We are the People-of-much-Gear when doing so. It was worth it many times over.

... except that they broke the nifty little backup camera and had to fix it.
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
dsarraf

1996 XJ Cherokee 

This guy/girl parked behind me. Look like Line X maybe it was Kevlar. Everything was covered.
line-x-jku.jpg  

'96 Cherokee bumper - $80.00 obo
1 stock bumper, R & L end caps, 2 mounting brackets, hardware, 1 plate holder - used for 2 months, good shape, dirty

'96 Cherokee wheels - $best offer
4 stock steel wheels - used for 10 years, good shape, some scratches

'96 Cherokee donut - $best offer
1 stock donut - used a few miles

'96 Cherokee lower control arm
- $200.00 obo
1 Skyjacker Double Flex lower control arm (L), 1 Skyjacker Double Flex lower control arm (R), RE114X1L & RE114X1R, 1.25" ends with 1" bolt holes, Teflon/Kevlar lined & self lubricating (for 3" lift) - used for 2 days, (20 miles), good shape, dirty, replaced beacuse not what I wanted

SHIPPING NOT INCLUDED
dsarraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
pocketavs

I saw a JK covered with Raptor Liner at a trade show last week. Looked nice. Sorry did not think to take a picture. For someone who prefers to do the work themselves, might be an option.
pocketavs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.