Keep getting a check engine light and trouble code..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Keep getting a check engine light and trouble code.....

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
cobra_4
2010 JK Wrangler 

Keep getting a check engine light and trouble code.....

For the second time since Christmas Eve my Jeep has thrown a check engine light and the trouble code P0440 which my scan tool says is a evap emission control system malfunction. The first time I didn't worry about it, figured it could have been any little thing. But since its thrown it so close I figure something must be causing it. Any idea on what to look for? I know its nothing to worry about but I refuse to have a check engine light on something I'm still paying for

Unread 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Disregard the MAP sensor. The pic is from another thread.

See the black plastic hose with the white tag on it? Make sure it has not melted through from making contact with the steel EGR pipe next to it.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

And don't buy any parts to fix this issue...

Your vehicle has an 8 year, 80,000 mile emissions warranty that should cover everything.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
And don't buy any parts to fix this issue...

Your vehicle has an 8 year, 80,000 mile emissions warranty that should cover everything.
This is from the 2010 warranty booklet:

"B. Parts Covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles

If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this
Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a
period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs
first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited
Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1(E). The covered
parts are:
• catalytic converter; and
• powertrain control module."
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

My jeep threw this code once. I read it with my Superchips, which annoying then cleared it and it never reappeared. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any problems except my gas cap wasn't sealing. (So they said) Got a new one under regular warranty.
Rancho 4" Sport Suspension * Rancho RS9000XL Shocks * Rancho Front LCA Skids * EVO Rear LCA Skids * Yukon 5.13 Gears * Spartan Lockers * Groundpounder Fab Custom Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier * Smittybilt SRC Front Bumper * Warn VR8000 Winch * KC Apollo Series Fog Lights * KC Daylighter driving lights * Rampage Step Bars * Spidertrax 1.5" Wheel Spacers * Synergy D30 Sleeve * Synergy Inner C Gussets * Syngery HD Ball Joints * Synergy High Clearance Chromoly Tie Rod * Synergy High Steer Drag Link * JKS Monster Track bar * JKS Quick Disconnects * Rough Country Track Bar Relocation Bracket * RocKrawler High Clearance Front LCAs * Poison Spyder Bombshell Diff Covers * Reid Racing Knuckles * Black Rock 909s Wheels * Monstalined Interior * Cobra 75wx w/ CoolTech Mounts * Skid Row Engine Skid * Skid Row Evap Canister Skid * B&M Auxiliary Transmission Cooler * Tom Woods Driveshafts * Superchips * Viair 2on2 Onboard Air * Mopar Cruise Control * Ace Tubular Fenders * Fox Racing Steering Stab & Bracket * Bestop Soft Doors * MBRP Rock Crawler Exhaust * WarmSeats
Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat Exterior Paint Club Member #104
Butterbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
My jeep threw this code once. I read it with my Superchips, which annoying then cleared it and it never reappeared. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any problems except my gas cap wasn't sealing. (So they said) Got a new one under regular warranty.
^^^ This..

Gas cap is by far the most common cause of an evap code.
The Jeep gas cap is pretty cheap and exposed.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
This is from the 2010 warranty booklet:

"B. Parts Covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles

If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this
Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a
period of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs
first, calculated from the start of the Basic Limited
Warranty as set forth in Section 2.1(E). The covered
parts are:
catalytic converter; and
powertrain control module."

Took mine if for a catalytic converter issue and they replaced the converter and the exhaust manifold on that side.

Under the emissions warranty.
Unread 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
Took mine if for a catalytic converter issue and they replaced the converter and the exhaust manifold on that side.

Under the emissions warranty.
I have found each model year has some different coverages.
In your 2009 warranty booklet, the cat is covered for 8/80,000. The exhaust manifold is covered under the lifertime powertrain warranty.
Also in the 2009 warranty booklet, there is a California Emissions coverage that your state may also comply with. Your exhaust manifold may have been covered under that.

What it all means is, there is no standard coverage when it comes to model years and locations.
Each person has to read his own warranty booklet.

And after all that, dealers often cover or don't cover at their own discretion.
Unread 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to go with idiot dealership, then.

I'm not the original owner and I don't live in California, so the lifetime warranty and Cali law don't apply.
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Gas cap (most likely), an emissions check station can pressure test it, you can clean it and the threads on the vehicle first for sealing potential....otherwise check the plastic rubber hoses near the frame/engine for rub/melt through...
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
cobra_4
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys! So I got a "gas cap" message on the screen today. I guess that explains the problem!! Looks like its time for a replacement!
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_4 View Post
Thanks for the input guys! So I got a "gas cap" message on the screen today. I guess that explains the problem!! Looks like its time for a replacement!
I hope that fixes it for you.

Don't be surprised if it comes back, though.
There is no real way the computer would know for sure it's the gas cap.
It's just saying that's a likely cause when it detects a leak after the tank has been filled.
Unread 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
cobra_4
2010 JK Wrangler 

Okay a little update. Put the gas cap on yesterday and cleared the codes. I haven't gotten another check engine light, and it was coming right back on after I cleared it. BUT the "gascap" warning is still on the dash? Is there someway to reset this?
Unread 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
cobra_4
2010 JK Wrangler 

Might have answered my own question. Hitting the odometer button clears it, but it comes back on at the next start up. Going out of town in it this weekend so hopefully after a good bit of driving and starts and stops the computer will reset itself.

Unread 01-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #15
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra_4 View Post
Might have answered my own question. Hitting the odometer button clears it, but it comes back on at the next start up. Going out of town in it this weekend so hopefully after a good bit of driving and starts and stops the computer will reset itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFsSNGFl7Uk
If not just disconnect the battery for about a minute to clear it...
The Jeep wave - it means nothing. Now I look for the RearView wave. Anyone can cause a guy to readjust his rear view at night. But in the daytime when you roll up behind someone and they adjust their mirror to frame your Jeep straighter - THAT'S a compliment!
jwmbishop is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.