K&n air & oil filters... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > K&n air & oil filters...

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-24-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
2442george
2008 JK Wrangler 

K&n air & oil filters...

curious how many are running either of these and if there was any significant gains in mpg's or performance.i have a friend who swears the air filter will improve gas mileage.

2442george is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
Grant211
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2442george View Post
curious how many are running either of these and if there was any significant gains in mpg's or performance.i have a friend who swears the air filter will improve gas mileage.
i have the K&N air filter in mine. I might of got 1/2 better mpg. I just bought it as my jeeps stock filter was getting kinda dirty and I figured why not get the K&N.
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
RussK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have heard those more expensive oil filters aren't much better than lets say a WIX as long as you change them every 3K miles, if they're that free flowing they're not catching the bad stuff.

The air filter on the other hand is different at least on my previous vehicles. I haven't done mine yet on the 07 but I want to go with the whole intake and not just the filter.
RussK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

i run both filters. Not sure of gains but when it was time to change the stock ones i went with K&N. Ive always used the filters, never had problems with them. I change my oil every 3k and the 1" wrench fitting on the end of the k&N makes things really easy.
Unread 02-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2442george View Post
I have one. No gains in performance or mileage. I use it because it's a quality filter.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
XpensiveWino

I have a drop in K&N air filter. I noticed about 1 to 1+ mpg better than stock.

I took out the K&n for a week and noticed the difference in MPG. Call me crazy.
XpensiveWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

^You're crazy. Not really a scientific test, either.

A stock air filter will flow far more air than your engine can use. Since this is a proven fact, that means there is no way there can be a gain by simply changing an air filter. No HP, no mileage. And even if there was...is .5-1mpg that people claim worth allowing dirt into your engine?

Plus, a stock filter is FAR superior at filtration.

K&N's are notorious for letting dirt into engines.

Ask any reputable engine builder and he'll tell you that he can tell by the wear that an engine had a K&N or other oiled filter.

Cost...A K&N is 40+bucks. Precharger to go on it is another 20..and you need this to even get close to stock filtration ability.
Plus the oil to "recharge" the filter. So you'll have a solid 75 bucks in a K&N setup....how many stock filters that do a better job can you buy for that?

You'll have lots of fanboys who believe the K&N hype come in here and argue against me, but isn't that always the case.....
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
RussK
2007 JK Wrangler 

In my last post I said I noticed a difference but in my last vehicle that my k&n was on was a 96 dakota with a 318 in it. When I put the filter in I also changed the exhaust. So it did help.

If your letting more in it doesn't help enough to notice unless you allow your engine to let it out just as fast. That is the only way that I know it will make a difference.

This what I hear I haven't done any dyno's on it though.
RussK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Cost...A K&N is 40+bucks. Precharger to go on it is another 20..and you need this to even get close to stock filtration ability.
Plus the oil to "recharge" the filter. So you'll have a solid 75 bucks in a K&N setup....
I get K&N oil filters for about $12 AT Shucks...
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:22 PM   #10
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
I get K&N oil filters for about $12 AT Shucks...
I was talking about air filters. Nothing wrong with K&N oil filters, other than they are overkill. An OEM oil filter is better than most anything out there, but I'll grant that K&N oil filters are a bit better than OEM's.
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I was talking about air filters. Nothing wrong with K&N oil filters, other than they are overkill. An OEM oil filter is better than most anything out there, but I'll grant that K&N oil filters are a bit better than OEM's.
overkill...based on what? makes the oil too clean or what?
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussK View Post
In my last post I said I noticed a difference but in my last vehicle that my k&n was on was a 96 dakota with a 318 in it. When I put the filter in I also changed the exhaust. So it did help.

If your letting more in it doesn't help enough to notice unless you allow your engine to let it out just as fast. That is the only way that I know it will make a difference.

This what I hear I haven't done any dyno's on it though.
But the truth is, the factory air filter will let more air in than your engine can possibly ingest, regardless of what mods you make to it....unless you're talking several hundred horsepower's worth of mods.
And since the air filter is not a restriction in the first place, making it flow more won't help anything. Helping the exhaust flow better certainly will help, but it would have helped whether you put a K&N in there or not.
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
overkill...based on what? makes the oil too clean or what?
Based on the OEM filter already cleans the oil plenty. You can't get any cleaner than clean.

But I can see if you're worried about your oil using a better filter.....personally, I'm not, as cars regularly go hundreds of thousands of miles using OEM filters, but at least there is a measurable difference (small as it may be) between these oil filters.

I guess if you're going to run a K&N air filter and allow all that extras dirt into your engine, it stands to reason that you might need a K&N oil filter to get that extra dirt out of the oil.
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Based on the OEM filter already cleans the oil plenty. You can't get any cleaner than clean.
But I can see if you're worried about your oil using a better filter.....personally, I'm not, as cars regularly go hundreds of thousands of miles using OEM filters, but at least there is a measurable difference (small as it may be) between these oil filters.
In an extremely cold environment (it was -70F up here a few weeks ago), it's good to do anything possible to keep one's oil happy.

Quote:
I guess if you're going to run a K&N air filter and allow all that extras dirt into your engine, it stands to reason that you might need a K&N oil filter to get that extra dirt out of the oil.
I don't have a K&N air filter.
Unread 02-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #15
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Let's talk about chips/power programmers next.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.