K & N air filters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > K & N air filters

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
tigers34

K & N air filters

What say you?

I have heard a lot of positives about increased hp and gas mileage, but I also had someone tell me that they will eventually mess up the air flow sensor due to the oil build up from the recharge kits.

Unread 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
old3

In my experience, a complete CAI can give modest increases, very modest, and a little more with exhaust & tune mods. The oil contamination is only a problem if the filter is not prepped correctly, over oiled & not dried. They are easy to clean and oil. I ran one in a recent car, a drop in, and it was perfect after 35k, cleaned & oiled every 10k.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
BigJerm
2007 JK Wrangler 

Don't waste your money. Our engines dont require a "high flow" filter. Not to mention the K&N lets in a lot more dirt than a good paper filter and in an off road vehicle dust and dirt is everywhere!
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is the view from the first half of this month...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/k-n-air-filter-bad-idea-577287/

(did we really manage to go a whole week without this debate?)
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

here we go again

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577287

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #6
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Send me your money instead. You'll feel better that you are helping a fellow JK'er
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Oh, yeah, definitely get a K&N filter. It is the WAY TO GO(tm)!!

Some of us has modifed our air intakes do be dual air intakes - that way we can run TWO K&N filters at the same time and trap twice the dirt!!

K&N is super duper. Get one! Or make the above mod and get two!!!
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
tigers34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver View Post
Here is the view from the first half of this month...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577287

(did we really manage to go a whole week without this debate?)

After about page 2 of that thread it became a p**s-ing context. Not looking for an argument or smart *** comments, just opinions of whether they are good or bad.
Unread 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers34 View Post
After about page 2 of that thread it became a p**s-ing context. Not looking for an argument or smart *** comments, just opinions of whether they are good or bad.
If you read that entire thread, in between all the pissing contest, you'll find arguments for and against. And in the end, there was no real yes/no answer. Basically, you're going to have to decide for yourself- you won't find the answer on this forum.

as you said: just opinions of whether they are good or bad. That thread is full of both opinions.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers34 View Post
And that's the real lesson of the thread - it's become a religious debate here.

Bottom line is that I've not seen issues with oil screwing up the MAF, but others say they do. And I actually don't have one in the Jeep, because just a filter element will do little to nothing for your performance. Even a full CAI is really just a dress on a pig IMO.

But I do use them on my Corvette, where airflow is king for me. Heck, I even took out the MAF screen to get better flow, but entirely different beast. Been doing that for the life of the car, which I've had since new in 1996. So I do think they are good filters, just maybe not for every application.

My $0.02 is on the Jeep, they aren't really worth the coin, but if you went ahead and did it anyway, you'll probably be fine.

Besides, according to some here, you'll apparently notice a lot more problems with the big honking boulders they let into your engine well before the sensor gets oiled up enough to matter.
Unread 07-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver View Post
Besides, according to some here, you'll apparently notice a lot more problems with the big honking boulders they let into your engine well before the sensor gets oiled up enough to matter.

actually, they handle the boulders fine... it's that fairy dust they allow thru which allows users to suddenly get an additional 5mpg and 20hp at the wheel

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Somebody tell the part again about having to buy the washing/ re-oiling kit. That's my favorite part!!!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you hook your K&N up to your main reflector dish, you can emit a tachyon burst. It doesn't do anything for engine performance, but it can make that trail ahead of your a bit more passable.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #14
old3

Can we talk about synthetic vs dino oil now? I liked my K & N but for dirt use I'd rather see a real oiled foam al-la dirt bikes. Dirt bikes have em availabletoo but they are not catching on very well. Another maker is introducing a version that looks similar and claims to have lived thru Baja IIRC with no dirt passing thru???Anyone done that, modded a dirt style oiled foam? Paper has its flaws too, but it is hard to dismiss you can get em anywhere and they are comparatively cheap.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #15
ResQGrnRubi
2008 JK Wrangler 

Dino oil is the way to go, don't waste your money on synthetics, you'll still have to change it every 6000 anyway for the warranty.

[COLOR="Black"][B]got lockers?[/B][/COLOR]
ResQGrnRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.