Just went over 100K on my 2008 Rubicon (4 door) - - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Just went over 100K on my 2008 Rubicon (4 door) -

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
MikeSD

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just went over 100K on my 2008 Rubicon (4 door) -

Now I can begin to change it.

I'm due for a new set of rubber this year. I was thinking that I might make some changes, along with the new set of tires. Like lifting, changing wheels to 15", changing the look from chrome colored wheels to black, etc.

These changes are mostly for looks. I have no real need for anything higher than what it is now. I'm just making change to have a nicer looking Jeep.

1) What is the largest set of tires I can put on a 2008 Jeep Rubicon (4 door), without a having to lift the jeep?

2) If I lift the Rubicon, how high can it be lifted without having to make ANY other changes (i.e. longer drive shaft, longer hoses, etc), and still use it as originally designed? I don't want things to rub or break, because I forgot something.

3) If it is lifted (as max in question 2), what is the largest set of tires I can put on my 2008 Rubicon 4 door? (not quite the same question as 1)

4) Is there any problem with going to 15" beadlock type wheel, that I should be aware of? I'm probably not going to use it for anything but mile mountain roads and such. I'm not a rock crawler type. But I think larger tires and beadlocks add a nice visual appeal, even for someone who doesn't go out to get stuck.

5) If it was your Jeep, would you leave the stock wheels, or go with a 15" beadlocks or something else?

6) If you had a stock 2008 4 door Rubicon, and were going to make changes, in the wheel/tire area, what would your change be? (include any other changes, required as a result of your suggestion).

Thanks, I still love this Jeep

Unread 06-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

subscribed. I'm in the same boat and curious to see the responses.
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Congrats on the first 100K miles. May I suggest you first read the following:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...reads-1074059/

Then ask specific questions based on that information.
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
MikeSD

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
Congrats on the first 100K miles. May I suggest you first read the following:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...reads-1074059/

Then ask specific questions based on that information.
Good thread. Thanks. But it really didn't answer my questions. But, it did make the think of another.

That thread only mentions JK. But all JK aren't alike, or are they? I mean, say I get a JK 2" lift kit, for a plain JK and another for a JK Rubicon, do those lift kits give both the same clearance? Does every JK, whether it's a Sport, Sahara, Rubicon or just a plain JK, to the same height for tire clearance, for a specified lift height (i.e. 2")?
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSD View Post
Good thread. Thanks. But it really didn't answer my questions. But, it did make the think of another.

That thread only mentions JK. But all JK aren't alike, or are they? I mean, say I get a JK 2" lift kit, for a plain JK and another for a JK Rubicon, do those lift kits give both the same clearance? Does every JK, whether it's a Sport, Sahara, Rubicon or just a plain JK, to the same height for tire clearance, for a specified lift height (i.e. 2")?
One more:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...hread-1310233/

As far as different Wrangler Trim Types:
They all have the same front axle except the Rubicon has a D44 axle.
They all have the same control arms.
They all have the same shocks except the Rubicon has red ones.
They all have the same springs except the Rubicon.

I believe a 2" lift on one Trim Type is the same as a 2" lift on another.
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

I believe wranglers have like 10 different spring setups for different trims, tow packages, ect. If the lift changes out the springs all should be the same, but if it is a spring spacer lift then it will vary in height.

1. Largest tires on stock without rubbing would be 33"

2. Most lifts (especially under 3.5") will include everything you need, if you buy the package deals, but once you get 3.5" and above you run into driveshaft issues, brake line extensions, ect

3. 2" lift will fit 35"s (may need minor trimming). any bigger and you get into the 3.5" and above

4. You won't need true beadlocks if your not deflating your tires for runs. I would look into fake beadlocks if you like the look for ex. Mickey Thompson classic beads

5. If you go to a 35" tire you are going to need a wheel with less backspacing 4.5" recommended or you will rub on smaller lifts (unless you want wheel spacers). for 33"s there should be no problem with stock wheels. It just depends on the look you are going for. 15" wheels gives the look of a lot of rubber which I prefer but 17"s look good on 35"s.

6. Well I'm biased a lot in this question because I have a 13 and I went with 3.5" with 35s and aftermarket wheels so thats what I would do or should I say did.

Hope this helps

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBA2GO View Post
...They all have the same shocks except the Rubicon has red ones.
They all have the same springs except the Rubicon...
Wrong.

Shocks are different on a Rubicon, not just different color,Springs are not.

All JK's use the same springs, the only difference is the load they are designed for.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
All JK's use the same springs, the only difference is the load they are designed for.

Hoss
Yeah I guess I meant to say different "spring rates"

13 JKUR
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.