Just Ordered TF 2.5" Coil/Shocks Lift...CAM Bolts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Just Ordered TF 2.5" Coil/Shocks Lift...CAM Bolts?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Reply
Unread 05-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
PlaHrd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19
Just Ordered TF 2.5" Coil/Shocks Lift...CAM Bolts?

2010 Sahara Unlimited...

Takin the plunge, ordered the TF 2.5 inch coil/shocks kit plus JKS disco's.

Havin a local shop do the install, a guy who has done 100's of jeep lifts. He said I didn't need anything but the TF Kit (did agree with me on the sway bar disco's), asked him about LCA's, front/rear adjustable track bars, he said not necessary.

Asked him how he will set Castor, and he will use cam bolts...

I brought up how I'd read a lot of negative comments about cam bolts on internet forums, he says only problem he has ever seen with cam bolts is if they are not tightened enough.

Question: Do you agree? I don't need adj trackbars, LCA's, he puts on the cam bolts correctly, I will be fine?

Thx in advance, want to do this the right way

PlaHrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
JKommuter
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Yuba City, CA
Posts: 118
If I was a bettin man I would bet most responses are going to say stay away from cam bolts.

I will be installing the same lift on my Unlimited tomorrow with Teraflex LCA's and a Teraflex front adjustable track bar.
JKommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
PlaHrd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKommuter View Post
If I was a bettin man I would bet most responses are going to say stay away from cam bolts.

I will be installing the same lift on my Unlimited tomorrow with Teraflex LCA's and a Teraflex front adjustable track bar.
Nice! Let me know how much (if any) you had to adjust the castor, and how you like the ride on the road
PlaHrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
PIG
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SLO, CA
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaHrd View Post
2010 Sahara Unlimited...

Takin the plunge, ordered the TF 2.5 inch coil/shocks kit plus JKS disco's.

Havin a local shop do the install, a guy who has done 100's of jeep lifts. He said I didn't need anything but the TF Kit (did agree with me on the sway bar disco's), asked him about LCA's, front/rear adjustable track bars, he said not necessary.

Asked him how he will set Castor, and he will use cam bolts...

I brought up how I'd read a lot of negative comments about cam bolts on internet forums, he says only problem he has ever seen with cam bolts is if they are not tightened enough.

Question: Do you agree? I don't need adj trackbars, LCA's, he puts on the cam bolts correctly, I will be fine?

Thx in advance, want to do this the right way
Your guy is correct... As long as they are on tight you'll be good to go.

Modifying the factory lower control arm can be tricky though. Here is a link to a tool that is VERY useful.

CAM BOLT KNOCK OUT TOOL
__________________
www.PolyPerformance.com

www.SynergyMfg.com
PIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
aristobrat
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaHrd View Post
Nice! Let me know how much (if any) you had to adjust the castor, and how you like the ride on the road
Some friends and I installed the TF 2.5 coil lift on my '10 JKU two weekends ago. I also bought some TF LCAs but haven't installed them. A few other JKUs in a local club running the TF 2.5 coil lift and nothing else, either.

Based on how well its felt driving around town, on the highway, and the light offloading that i've done, I'm thinking about about selling the front LCAs instead of installing them.

It's a tough call. It's like they're required to do a proper job, but the "improper" job I did seems like it has no problems???
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
PlaHrd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Some friends and I installed the TF 2.5 coil lift on my '10 JKU two weekends ago. I also bought some TF LCAs but haven't installed them. A few other JKUs in a local club running the TF 2.5 coil lift and nothing else, either.

Based on how well its felt driving around town, on the highway, and the light offloading that i've done, I'm thinking about about selling the front LCAs instead of installing them.

It's a tough call. It's like they're required to do a proper job, but the "improper" job I did seems like it has no problems???
So is the main purpose of the LCAs to be able to reset castor angle to optimal settings after a lift? Is it that for the TF 2.5" lift castor angle doesn't really change significantly?
PlaHrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
DeepSky
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,960
Yeah I didn't think you really needed to adjust your castor with 2.5" of lift, at least it wouldn't make a big enough difference to warrant buying adjustable LCA's.

My advice would be to lift it w/o readjusting your castor and see how you like how the front end handles. If you don't like how the front end handles I would just go with the cam bolts as they're a lot cheaper and you probably wouldn't need the range of adjustment that LCA's would give you.

FWIW I was able to get another +1.4* using cam bolts and I've been on several off roading trips since with no issue.
__________________
2003 Patriot Blue Wrangler SE - RCX 2.5" Kit on 31x10.5 Firestone M/Ts and stock the rest of the way.
2007 Flame Red Wrangler Unlimited X - Skyjacker 4" Kit on 35x12.5 Cooper Discovery STT(My Build Details)
DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
aristobrat
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaHrd View Post
So is the main purpose of the LCAs to be able to reset castor angle to optimal settings after a lift? Is it that for the TF 2.5" lift castor angle doesn't really change significantly?
That's exactly how I understand it, but I'm totally new at this...
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,611
Iím sure cam bolts work just fine if tightened correctly. But if they were to loosen up a bit they could, over time, wallow out the slot and therefore cause a whole lot hurt to fix it. Later down the road if you decide to go higher and want LACAís your kinda screwed until you fix the slots for the cam bolts. Sure, adj. control arms will cost you more but if you were to buy the knockout tool, which will cost you $100 plus, it kinda makes buying ACAís not such a bad deal after all.
__________________
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
DeepSky
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Later down the road if you decide to go higher and want LACA’s your kinda screwed until you fix the slots for the cam bolts.
Unless I'm missing something you should be able to just continue to use the cam bolts rather than the normal ones. This is what I was planning to do if I ever needed to replace my LCA's and decided to go adjustable.
__________________
2003 Patriot Blue Wrangler SE - RCX 2.5" Kit on 31x10.5 Firestone M/Ts and stock the rest of the way.
2007 Flame Red Wrangler Unlimited X - Skyjacker 4" Kit on 35x12.5 Cooper Discovery STT(My Build Details)
DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
PlaHrd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 19
Sounds good on cam bolts vs. stock LCA's vs. replacement LCA's

I notice a lot of people seem to replace stock trackbar with adj trackball when putting on the TF 2.5". What does that bring to the party? Is it likely needed for the TF 2.5", or is it something that you put on in case you go a higher lift in the future?
PlaHrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
DeepSky
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,960
At 2.5" it seems like its personal preference. The adjustable trackbars (if you do the front you're going to want to do the rear) will allow you to center the body over the axles.

Even though a lot of people said they didn't bother with them on their TJ's after I put the 2.5" lift on my TJ the body was so uncentered it just looked awkward and I ended up installing front and rear adjustable trackbars.

My advice, get the lift installed and then take a good hard look at how far the tire sticks out from under the fender flair on both sides and front and back. If the look bothers you then go ahead and invest in some adjustable TBs.
__________________
2003 Patriot Blue Wrangler SE - RCX 2.5" Kit on 31x10.5 Firestone M/Ts and stock the rest of the way.
2007 Flame Red Wrangler Unlimited X - Skyjacker 4" Kit on 35x12.5 Cooper Discovery STT(My Build Details)
DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
riverzendz
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 181
Cam bolts are fine if that's what you want to do but if you ever want to replace with adj. CA's there is some work that will need to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaHrd View Post
Sounds good on cam bolts vs. stock LCA's vs. replacement LCA's

I notice a lot of people seem to replace stock trackbar with adj trackball when putting on the TF 2.5". What does that bring to the party? Is it likely needed for the TF 2.5", or is it something that you put on in case you go a higher lift in the future?
It brings the adjustment you may need to recenter your axle. A track bar bracket and stock track bar can do the same job but you'll want to research that.

The concern with the adjustable track bar and the 2.5" lift is that the track bar may not be short enough which is where the bracket + stock track bar can come in. Depends on brand and how far out of center your axle is.
riverzendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
Unless I'm missing something you should be able to just continue to use the cam bolts rather than the normal ones. This is what I was planning to do if I ever needed to replace my LCA's and decided to go adjustable.
Well Iím by no means an expert when it comes to front suspensions but I was thinking that youíre kinda limited as far as adjustment goes with the cam bolts. On my 3.5 lift witch netted me a little over 4-inches I used TeraFlex FLCA and have the joints screwed all the way in. I think I still need just a bit more adjustment but have non-left so Iíll have to get some uppers. So, I was under the assumption that the higher you lift it the more youíll need to adjust. Hope I didnít give any wrong advice.
__________________
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #15
DeepSky
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Well I’m by no means an expert when it comes to front suspensions but I was thinking that you’re kinda limited as far as adjustment goes with the cam bolts. On my 3.5 lift witch netted me a little over 4-inches I used TeraFlex FLCA and have the joints screwed all the way in. I think I still need just a bit more adjustment but have non-left so I’ll have to get some uppers. So, I was under the assumption that the higher you lift it the more you’ll need to adjust. Hope I didn’t give any wrong advice.
Oh no, not at all. I probably should have included in my post that I'm already running the longer Skyjacker LCA's that came with the kit. It's probably because I already have longer LCA's that the cam bolts were enough to get my castor to where it needed to be. I was only taking a guess that cam bolts would give you enough adjustment to accommodate 2.5" of lift.

Out of curiosity, how much castor are you running?
__________________
2003 Patriot Blue Wrangler SE - RCX 2.5" Kit on 31x10.5 Firestone M/Ts and stock the rest of the way.
2007 Flame Red Wrangler Unlimited X - Skyjacker 4" Kit on 35x12.5 Cooper Discovery STT(My Build Details)
DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.