Just installed sway bar disconnects....quick question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Just installed sway bar disconnects....quick question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just installed sway bar disconnects....quick question

I just installed Rubicon Express front sway bar disconnects today. They are basically a copy of the JKS. I adjusted both links to the exact same length. However when I go to connect them I notice the sway bar is a bit different on each side due the fact my passenger side seems to sit just slightly lower than the driver side. I assume its either a weaker spring or there is just more weight on that side. I had to use my high lift on the passenger side to connect that side of the disconnect (or I could have a buddy pull up on the bumper).

Is this normal for this type of disconnect? Will it cause any harm?

Thanks,

Jay

Unread 03-29-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you might check to see if the sway bar is not bent, just take if off and lay it on the ground. I noticed on my bar when I had installed heim joints on my 08 several years ago that the factory sway bar had about as much resistance as a piece of 1/2" EMT conduit. I could flex it very easy with my bare had. Its basically a thin wall hollow tube.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

It is normal...you need to be on level ground and/or if that doesnt work you can have a friend sit on the bumper or you can pull up or down on the swaybar to get it on

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
Erbo1Kanerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
you might check to see if the sway bar is not bent, just take if off and lay it on the ground. I noticed on my bar when I had installed heim joints on my 08 several years ago that the factory sway bar had about as much resistance as a piece of 1/2" EMT conduit. I could flex it very easy with my bare had. Its basically a thin wall hollow tube.
I've either been a tech or an insurance auto damage appraiser since 1995 and have never seen a bent (damaged) swaybar. They are made of spring steel and they are either fine or broken (snapped) there's really no in between with them.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

You're seeing a symptom of "JK Lean", a common condition caused by the weight of the passenger side mounted fuel tank and some other factors. You can get rid of it by shimming the right rear spring a bit (mine took a 1/2" spacer), or just live with it and set the links to different lengths. Some guys report being able to level the rig by adjusting the links longer on the passenger side, but that puts a constant load on the sway bars, not such a great idea.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
What swaybars do you use? The front on JKS is about 7/8" think solid spring steel.

Make sure the Jeep is on level ground and then set the lengths of the swaybars so that they slid on nicely. Use the first one to set the angle of the swaybar and then the next one just adjust to slide on. Just make sure the ground is level and your swaybar will function properly.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.