just hit 54k miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > just hit 54k miles

D.i.y. Ford 8.8 tj,xj,yjSavvy Aluminum BumpersSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
BobbySwiz
2009 JK Wrangler 

just hit 54k miles

Was talking to some coworkers and they mentioned doing all the fluids etc...all I've ever done to this jeep is change the oil and service air filter...what's your thoughts?

Unread 04-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
ncb

Follow the schedule in the owners manual. You're over due for the fluid changes.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would recommend a Brake Fluid and Power Steering fluid flush also. You can do this yourself if you are mechanically incllined.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Take a look at the service schedule in the owners manual. Just catch up on any items you've missed. Jeep is very good about what it specifies.
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66
Take a look at the service schedule in the owners manual. Just catchup on any items you've missed. Jeep is very good about what it specifies.
Sorry, sent the above too soon (darn phone). Jeep specifies a prudent mix of fluid changes at sensible mileages. Bear in mind they're for a stock rig. Go big, more frequent services needed.
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Finman99
2009 JK Wrangler 

I am coming up on my 60k and sent emails off to two different dealereship service departments. I asked what was need for my 09 JKU at 60k and how much would it cost. These are the two responses I received:
Dealership #1
Oil/filter
air filter
xmission fluid
tire rotation
fuel service
brake insp
26 pt. insp
engine diagnostic scan
COST: $575

Dealership #2
oil/filter
air filer
xfer case fluid
front axel
rear axel
tire rotation
brake insp
26 pt. insp
COST: $449

Those are two stealerships that should know what Jeep requires for the 2009 Wrangler JKU and they are so different. Who do I go with?
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Finman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Safe to say axles, transfer case, transmission, air filter, oil.

I bought mine with about 42000 miles and immediately replaced air filter and axles. I have done about 15000 miles in a year and changed the axles twice with synthetic (towing and water crossings) and oil every 2500-3000. At the 60 mark she'll get transmission and transfer case change. Maybe axles too

Maybe even a coolant flush?
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finman99 View Post
I am coming up on my 60k and sent emails off to two different dealereship service departments. I asked what was need for my 09 JKU at 60k and how much would it cost. These are the two responses I received:
Dealership #1
Oil/filter
air filter
xmission fluid
tire rotation
fuel service
brake insp
26 pt. insp
engine diagnostic scan
COST: $575

Dealership #2
oil/filter
air filer
xfer case fluid
front axel
rear axel
tire rotation
brake insp
26 pt. insp
COST: $449

Those are two stealerships that should know what Jeep requires for the 2009 Wrangler JKU and they are so different. Who do I go with?
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
The owners manual for my '09 JKUR has the following recommended services at 60k miles:

Oil & Filter change
Tire rotation
Replace air cleaner element
Inspect brake linings & replace if necessary
Adjust parking brake
Change manual trans fluid (heavy duty use)
Change automatic trans fluid & filter (heavy duty use)
Change transfer case fluid (heavy duty use)

I'm paraphrasing heavy duty above. It means basically anything more than 2wd mall crawling, so just assume you need it. Jeep calls for axle fluid changes at 36k mile intervals. Confusing, I'd just do it at 30k intervals and be done with it.

Hope this helps.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
BobbySwiz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok, so i'm finally able to sit down and write what I need.

Front and rear Diff's .
Transmission fluid flushed (one dealer said they don't replace main sump filter, the other said the DO replace it...go figure, what your thoughts on this?)
Wheel alignment (pulls to the right)
Inspection? (think i need one?)

I do oil and tire rotations myself at the coast guard station. I've never done anything outside of oil/tires, how hard is it to do axles and transmission fluid? I know the wheel alignment I would have to get done somewhere.

ALSO, I have ONLY done oil changes, air filter and tire rotations on my own, never went to a dealer. Would this effect my lifetime warranty on the powertrain? I still haven't reached the 5 year mark on the powertrain inspection FYI.

Thanks.
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Oil changes IMO are more time consuming and a pain than axles. No need to lift either.

Go for a 10 minute drive.
Engage 4x4 for a few minutes and drive straight. No sharp turns in 4x4.
Take off 4x4.
Park level.
Take out fill plug first (the top one)
Take out drain plug(bottom).
Let drain 10 minutes
While you wait clean shavings off drain plug.
Re-install drain plug.
Add oil of your choice till it oozes out and quickly plug. I use Amsoil 75-140 synthetic.

Repeat for front.

If you keep your receipts and dates of changes they are suppose to honour warranty. FYI. Contact jeep to confirm
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you have a friend to help hold the measuring tape, you can do the alignment yourself. Center your front tires, then take a measurement at the rear of the tires, then one at the front. Make sure to use the same tread block for equal measurements. You should have 1/16-1/8" toe in on the front of the tires. If you need to adjust the toe, you do so with the tie rod. Once your sure you toe is within spec, test drive it, if the steering wheel is off center you can adjust it with the Drag Link. Rotating the sleeve towards the front bumper will make the steering wheel go to the right, rotating it towards the rear of the Jeep will make the steering wheel go to the left. If you are unsure of which component is which, there is a picture that can easily be Googled and even on this forum I believe. Sorry, I don't have a link at this time.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
BobbySwiz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Since I've never done my differential fluids...would it be of my best interest to take off covers completely, hit them up with some brake cleaner? Or do you think its OK for now?
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just use the axle drain plugs, no need to remove the covers during a routine service. Pay attention to the fill capacities for the axles. On a JK it is usually not possible to get the correct amount into them by simply filling until it runs out, particulalry in front. You add the remainder through the vent tubes. I installed aftermarket covers that have a higher fill plug.

For the automatics Jeep calls for a fluid and filter change at 60k. It is a righteous PITA to get the rear pan bolts off, which is why some dealers skip it entirely. You can flush the system by pulling off the cooler return line and running out the old stuff a quart at a time. That's how I've done mine, but it has an aftermarket auxilliary cooler so the process is a piece 'o cake. Gets virtually all of the old fluid out, too.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.